Healthy Eating in GREECE

Options
emhow
emhow Posts: 79 Member
Hi everyone :) going to Greece in 12 days and just wondering whether someone can give me any advice on healthy eating whilst I am away? I'm not going to log and I am going to indulge a bit but I would like to know which foods to maybe avoid and which I shouldn't feel guilty indulging in? Any ideas? Thank you!

Replies

• Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too! I am off to Corfu in 10 weeks! Feta cheese is quite good due to the protein, so I would say salads, small bit of every type of dish with large salads to bulk it up :) x
  • emhow
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Crete. I ate whatever I wanted and only put on one, maximum 2 pounds. Go for traditional Greek food and I think you'll be fine.
    Order a Greek salad and you'll get a HUGE bowl of veggies, a little olive oil and a big block of feta. I'd say it's more food than you need - I never finished one. You'll have loads of choice for fish and grilled meats, but if you order squid its usually deep fried calamari rings, and most main dishes seem to be served with chips and iceberg lettuce (catering to tourist's tastes I guess). My suggestion would be to ask for veggies instead of chips, or order a salad to share alongside your main and just ignore the chips.
    Most places will ask you if you want bread - sometimes this comes with dips and spreads, but it's added to the bill and you don't really need the extra food (portions are huge) so say no.
    My recommendations - stuffed tomatoes/peppers/vine leaves, Stifado (best thing I ever ate!)
    Oh, and if you want to try everything, share a meze platter at the beginning of your trip, s you can find out what you like without getting a massive portion of it, and once you've tried things its easier to make healthier choices for the rest of the week.
    Stay away from cocktails, and if you're brought crisps/peanuts etc with your drinks push them away - if you eat them you'll be brought more and the cycle never ends.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's one of the healthier diets on the planet so just park your current diet, and eat like the natives.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This article might help:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/healthy-eating-in-greece

and here's the heads up on some local specialities:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/11_00/greekfood.html
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi! Greek salads are great, very healthy. Feta is good for you but don't eat too much in one go as it is calorie laden! Tzatsiki is fine as it is made of yoghurt, cucumbers and garlica. Avoid the greek pastries ( oh the sugar!) . Pastitsio (a meat and pasta dish with bechamel sauce on the top) and moussaka are fine in moderation and most tavernas serve grilled meat. Fish is a great option of course! Souvlaki is always good ( grilled pork or chicken on a stick) and stifado. And if you like your greens, ask for horta. It's greens from the mountains, very healthy ( But a little bitter). The Greeks eat horta with lemon juice ...it's so healthy!
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would definately avoid Baklava and any other of the pastries!
    The Salads are all great and there is abundance of lovely fruit.
  • emhow
    Options
    Thanks guys :) seems like there are a lot of healthy options then.. especially as it is in fact the Mediterranean diet I guess! and that's meant to be extremely good for you. I'm definitely going to treat myself though and eat what ever I want. Just wanted to know if anyone knew any specific Greek dishes to AVOID, but I guess if I have everything in moderation I won't gain too much at all. However, I will be having that ice cream cone and cocktail by the pool though! Can't wait. Anyone got any advice regarding hotel breakfasts? I have it included and its going to be the usual continental breakfast buffet.. I was thinking maybe Greek Yoghurt and honey.. but isn't the REAL greek stuff FULL of fat? xx
  • Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You are soooo lucky!

I remember how great the ice-cream cones were in Greece! :smile:
    The food is sooooo delicious and very healthy. I would avoid the shwarma for a few reasons: the bread, the fact that they like to stick French fries in there (yum!), and I got food poisoning from one in Athens :-)
    You could have eggs or yogurt for breakfast. For lunch and dinner stick to salads (which don't include lettuce!) but maybe avoid eating the whole giant hunt of feta that they put on it, and grilled chicken. And by all means, eat the ice cream cones!

Have a great time!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about stifado! That is one of my favourite Greek foods!! :) enjoy your holiday x
  • happy2mamma
    happy2mamma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enjoy, You will LOVE Greece!!! the great thing about the food there is everything is so fresh. Seafood - Fish, greek salad - tomatoes, cucumbers and feta :) Grilled Meat Kebabs (chicken, lamb, beef). And remember even if you splurge, you will probably be walking ALOT, so take that into account when you are enjoying the delicious desserts! :)