Feeling Negative, Looking For Support/Motivation

Options
Hey, folks.

I am back on MyFitnessPal after putting on 15 pounds of the 30 I had lost by August last year. I was finishing graduate school and started gaining weight from January - March 2012. In March I tried Weight Watchers, which only seemed to make me rebel against my efforts even more because I was hungry all the time and did not want to record absolutely everything I ate or every activity I did. I feel sort of like I'll have to choose these methods for the rest of my life, and it's exhausting.

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of down because I was on vacation last week, and I took several walks, two Zumba classes, and went out dancing with a friend for a few hours. My body is very tired, and my weight seems to be increasing. I thought I might be retaining water, so I started drinking more, but that didn't seem to help.

Has this happened to anyone out there before? Can you offer some words of encouragement? I would like to lose 50 pounds by next year at this time. It would be great if I could lose more than that, but I don't want to set myself up for disaster. I'm looking for some inspiration and maybe someone who can help me stay positive/hold myself accountable.

Replies

• Phoshizznet
    Options
    Personally, I always gain about 3-5 pounds of water weight when I'm lifting. It's because of the high amount of water I drink while I workout maybe you were experiencing the same thing. If not, then probably you refilled your glycogen (sugar) stores, and with every 1 gram of glycogen you actually store 2.7 grams of water. 2.7 grams may not sound like much but it adds up for every gram throughout your body.

For motivation, try to be real. May sound weird but just remember that EVERYTHING you do is going to impact if you get to your goals. Make decisions that allign with what your goals are to get to the endpoint. Would sitting on the couch watching TV help you with your goals? Or would going out for a run or even a walk help you? Is what you're doing right now helping you with your goals? Keep thinking like this and you will constantly make decisions, think twice about everything you do.

Another strong source of motivation for me are my past failures. It works for me, but I use failure as a tool to make me angry, and it makes me want to get up and punch a wall. There's a few times where I just got off my *kitten*, walked out my door and started sprinting because I was able to get myself angry. Just don't sit there once you get upset about your failures or else it might negatively impact you instead (like you go turn to food instead to make yourself feel better).
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It takes a while to make lifestyle changes. What else do you need to be healthy OTHER THAN working out & eating better? Less stress (i.e. new job, or new boyfriend, etc)? More family or loving friends? Maybe focus on this stuff. ***I'm suggesting this only because of personal experiences, please don't think I'm being bossy!***

When I got out of grad school I was super-laid back so the weight was good. Once I got a "real" job and was married my stress level went through the roof. It became difficult to stay thin because I was anxious. Plus, my family was always so helpful when I went for long visits (this is dripping in sarcasm). Recently, I have had to make choices to do what was right for ME, not other people.

Currently, I'm going to counseling for the anxiety, I am managing my fibro with medication, and I'm forcing myself to stay with this come hell or high water. So stick to this! You did it once (congrats) so you know you can do it again!