how to lose weight off your hips???

Options
I carry most of my weight on my lower half. So I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what exercises I should be doing or foods I should be eating to help eliminate the fat around the bottom/hip area?
Thanks!

Replies

• karenpdavey
    karenpdavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am the ame. Since I gave upsmoking 2 years ago I have put on a stone, even tho I have exercised and followed a weight watchers dietmine has all gone onto my stomach so I will be interested in the replies as well.

Karen
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am the ame. Since I gave upsmoking 2 years ago I have put on a stone, even tho I have exercised and followed a weight watchers dietmine has all gone onto my stomach so I will be interested in the replies as well.

Karen
    Karen, read this
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/body-type-diet-solutions-big-belly-or-big-butt?page=2#copy
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    women tend to carry weight in the bottom half of their bodies as we have eastrogen, rather than testoterone that makes you hold weight around your belly like in men.

First off you cannot spot reduce fat by exercise, losing fat is sytematic in your body and you will loose fat in the top half first if you are a woman, the fat in thighs is the hardest to shift for women but you just have to keep at it, keep a clean diet and exercise. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. eat at a caloric deficit, do strength training focusing on compound movements (squats, deadlifts, benchpress etc) and give it time.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.
    All you can do is lose weight and work on toning and building muscle to fill any loose skin (which some people mistake for excess fat).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This article was terrible in terms of quality of information, as is just about anything diet related pushed by Dr. Oz. . No offense to the person who shared it.

Since I didn't just come here to be negative:

1) Eat at a caloric deficit
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat
    3) Lift weights or at the very least, get some exercise regularly.
    4) Rest
    5) Repeat
    6) Don't micromanage any of the other crap that doesn't matter.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred helped me lose a lot of inches in my hip and thigh areas.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    General weight loss. If you're predisposed to have a lot of fat on your hips no matter what, no direct weight resistance. Cardio.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs and general cardio. Pound your lower body with squats lunges, fire hydrants, front to back kicks, calf raises. If it doesn't burn then you aren't doing it right
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred helped me lose a lot of inches in my hip and thigh areas.

I had the same results & I am a classic pear. The strength training plus eating Clean makes the difference!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

^ This article was terrible in terms of quality of information, as is just about anything diet related pushed by Dr. Oz. . No offense to the person who shared it.

Since I didn't just come here to be negative:

1) Eat at a caloric deficit
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat
    3) Lift weights or at the very least, get some exercise regularly.
    4) Rest
    5) Repeat
    6) Don't micromanage any of the other crap that doesn't matter.

I held the last of my excess weight in my waist. That was/is the last place for me to loose, even though all other areas slimmed down. The info above applies to hips as well as waist.

Cardios great, but do add in strength/resistance training as well - to tighten up the muscle tissues, and lift and firm. Not only cardio, for best overall results.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight in my lower belly, butt, and thighs. I found that when I increased my cardio, it helped. I started to take up running before I got sidelined with a family medical issue, my own medical issue that I'm working on fixing, and lack of time.

I would consider trying Couch to 5K.
  • Leesa808
    Leesa808 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey! thanks for all the responses:) I realize you cannot spot reduce. I was just wondering if there was anything that could help, I've lost 7 inches off my waist and only 3 off my hip as if there wasn't enough difference in my hip to waist ratio. I do alot of cardio, maybe not enough weight training.
  • jasprit8
    jasprit8 Posts: 1
    Options
    HI friends, its a vast problem for today`s life fat,its tuff to reduce but i reduced it with the help of a herbal product fatflux it helps me to manage my weight i lost my extra calories ,visit http://www.fatflux.com/
    gud luck
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    HI friends, its a vast problem for today`s life fat,its tuff to reduce but i reduced it with the help of a herbal product fatflux it helps me to manage my weight i lost my extra calories ,visit http://www.fatflux.com/
    gud luck

Think they might be promoting something? I do!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ^ spam alert..

The best way to lose fat is strength training. Cardio is more for a caloric deficit.