Beginners Running!

Options
Hello!

I'm new to MFP and looking to get into shape! Went for my first run in a long time today, very slow and managed little over 15 minutes!

Does anyone have any good tips/techniques to get me going again! Advice is always welcome !

Thanks! Talie xxx

Replies

• watchtheworld
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm a dreadful runner unless it's as part of a sport/game or is in intervals/racing... so I'd also love to know! I'm finishing off a 30 day gym challenge and will be doing the Couch to 5K program next - have you looked at that? It seems very popular.
  • talie1997
    talie1997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No I've not, what does that consist of? Where can I read more about it?

It's nice to know others aren't so good at it either! Most people I know just go for a casual 10k a few times a week like it's nothing ha! I'd like to get to that stage, but for now I find it challenging!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For anyone new to (or coming back to) running the most important advice I can offer (outside of the usual get shoes that fit really well) is to be patient and focus on gradually building endurance before worrying about speed. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Try to use good running technique (keep stride short and land on your midfoot or forefoot rather than your heel) right from the start and be consistent, try to run 3 or 4 times per week (take a day off between runs to recover / cross train).

You'll be amazed at what your body can do with a progressive training program and the right attitude. A few years ago I could barely run around the block, on Sunday I ran my 3rd half marathon. Listen to your body and have fun!
  • talie1997
    talie1997 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Brian!

I will try to be positive! I think I do expect too much too soon a lot of the time! Patients is needed here I guess!
  • ChanceyRose
    ChanceyRose Posts: 30
    Options
    I did Day 1 of the Couch to 5K program yesterday. Haven't done any running since I was forced to in high school gym class way too many years ago. I had to shave a minute off the total run time but I finished it. Felt great afterwards -- mostly from the exhilaration of actually DOING it -- and am a little sore this morning but I'm gonna keep going.

Here's the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I did this on the treadmill at 0% incline. My walk intervals were 3mph and the jogs were 5mph. I stretched just after the warmup and again after the cool down. I also stretched before bed.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For anyone new to (or coming back to) running the most important advice I can offer (outside of the usual get shoes that fit really well) is to be patient and focus on gradually building endurance before worrying about speed. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Try to use good running technique (keep stride short and land on your midfoot or forefoot rather than your heel) right from the start and be consistent, try to run 3 or 4 times per week (take a day off between runs to recover / cross train).
    Solid advice! I can't stress the importance of going to a running store and getting fitted for a good pair of shoes.
    Follow a program like C25k, it will help keep you on track so you don't just run aimlessly.
    Also, if you're struggling with motivation just sign up for a 5k, you'll be surprised how easy it is.
    Stretch. Usually after or when your body is warm.
    Lastly, have fun.