Should women use whey protein?

Options
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some feedback in this area. I'm having a hard time cutting inches from my mid section and the scale has really moved more than a few lbs in three months. I currently have one whey protein shake a day made with lots of fresh berries and skim milk. Several people who I have talked to say cut it from my diet and I will see the scale drop. I sorta want to try it but i'm afraid of breaking down the muscles I have been working very hard to build. Others been in a simliar situation? whats the magical formula for weight/fat lost for women? :)

thoughts?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whey protein by itself will not cause you to lose or gain inches or pounds or muscle or fat.

As a general rule: People who cannot reach protein sufficiency should take whey protein regardless of gender. Additionally, some people (myself included) choose whey protein for convenience reasons (easier to hit macros).

There is no magic formula, but I think this is a good template:

1) Create a reasonable calorie deficit. 20% under TDEE to start.
    2) Eat sufficient protein and fat, daily.
    3) Exercise, ideally lift weights.
    4) Rest.
    5) Repeat.
    6) Don't micromanage all the other meaningless crap.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Janine, I don't know what I would do without my whey protein!! I try to get in around 120g of protein daily so those shakes definitely help!!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The only reason whey protein would interfere with weight loss would be if it's causing you to go over your calorie limit. The important thing is to make sure you're getting enough protein (from any sources) to meet your nutritional needs.
  • Jenn_1990
    Jenn_1990 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have whey protein diet and body toning, why dont you try one that is aimed for dieting??
  • janinebudgell
    janinebudgell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :)
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    I think the lower your body weight the harder it is to lose weight anyway, even on the best of days.
    Personally, I end up using whey protein a great deal to keep my protein level up. I don't always feel like chowing down on meat, esp when it is hot. If you are a veggie (I was a good long while) it was practically essential to have some sort of supplemental protein (hemp was pretty good).

If you add whey protein as an "extra" between meals and don't account for the calories - sure you will offset any losses. If you replace other calories, it is actually good. If you think that it is NOT calories and instead something in the whey, try a different protein powder and see how you fare :)
  • janinebudgell
    janinebudgell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think the lower your body weight the harder it is to lose weight anyway, even on the best of days.
    Personally, I end up using whey protein a great deal to keep my protein level up. I don't always feel like chowing down on meat, esp when it is hot. If you are a veggie (I was a good long while) it was practically essential to have some sort of supplemental protein (hemp was pretty good).

If you add whey protein as an "extra" between meals and don't account for the calories - sure you will offset any losses. If you replace other calories, it is actually good. If you think that it is NOT calories and instead something in the whey, try a different protein powder and see how you fare :)

I think thats a great suggestion. I really don't eat much meat so I don't think I should drop the shake either, but so many men at the gym have suggested it... so I thought i would get MFP's thoughts on the whole rumble. I will try another source, I think thats a good idea! Maybe its the whey thats weighing my down.. teehee. I gained these 30 extra lbs in 6 months this time so I was hoping I could ditch them in the same time. NOT LIKELY, since its been 3 months and I have only lost 5 (on a good day- in the morning) LOL