Anybody over 40 ? Your experiences? Difficulties?

I remember myself in my 20s, and loosing 10-20 lbs was relatively easy back then. in my 30s it became more difficult to fight my slowing metabolism. Now it is even more difficult. What r your experiences in overcoming difficulties.

Replies

• Auntzip
    Auntzip Posts: 126 Member
    Hey there, feel free to join our group- "Forty Isn't Fatal". :- )
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Me too! I have to fight harder then ever...and watching what I eat is really the focus for me...can't easily splurge like before. Plus, I need to include more intense exercise in my week too. sigh...
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    I totally agree. In 20's all I had to do was "cut back" a few days or a few weeks to get it together. 30's was very hard and at some point I gave up. 40's trying to add exercise plus "cutting back" to put it together. The problem is I am working hard than ever before and still not losing anything. yikes!
  • LifeChangingExp
    LifeChangingExp Posts: 454 Member
    Yes everything slows down BUT kick it back into full gear!

Eat clean 5-6 meals a day
    Strength training- omg I cant stress this enough
    Eventually add cardio

Im 40 and Ive lost 80 lbs so far... and i feel ****ing awesome!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    It's definitely a slower process. I'm building up muscle to burn my fat instead! And I've never been a cardio fan, but now I'm running and busting but on the elliptical 3 days a week plus walking at least 4 days a week on my lunch hour!.
  • For me every fitness gain has come more slowly and I've had to work harder than when I was younger. I think most of it is attributeable to different hormone levels. The up side is I've had to become more diciplined and tenacious and I celebrate any success with much more satifaction. I have a ton of respect for anyout out there still giving it hell!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    bump
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I am 49 and have lost more than 50 lbs at a rate of about a pound a week. :smile:
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    I'm feeling this too. I've exercised most of my adult life and if I have a break for any reason (holiday or illness) the pounds go back on very easily.
    I've got to the point that I'm almost frightened to stop monitoring food and exercising as the thought of what happens is terrifying.

I have managed to keep my weight between 140 and 154 but usually closer to 154. Now currently I'm at 144 and loosing around .5 lb a week which is just fine.
    I want to get comfortably close to 140 (I think under would be in maintainable and I'd start to look gaunt)

I'd love to join the group.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Hey there, feel free to join our group- "Forty Isn't Fatal". :- )
    How do you do that? Does someone have to send you an invitation or something?
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Strategies?????
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Lose it now...cuz it won't get any easier when you hit 50! :mad:
  • Thomas8260
    Thomas8260 Posts: 8 Member
    For me diet ,exercise, MFP and MFP friends has been the key. The first month was a struggle getting my body to sync up with the changes. Now, I am getting a steady 1 pound per week loss. As I have aged I have lost muscle mass which turned into belly fat! I have to keep up on my strenght training!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I never felt more than 5 to 8 pounds overweight at most. Once I went to a spa, followed their 1400 calorie a day diet, ate occasional snacks, and at the end of four days I was 90 pounds. Those were the days. :smile:

I've managed to stop my weight from inching up better than some, but it has definitely gotten harder. I've also had injuries and am recovering from one now.

What works for me is having a number that I cannot exceed. It's gone up over the years, but there's a number at which I have to do something. I also think that it's good to be a bit under one's goal weight so if there's a long period of sedentary activity or injury the damage won't be too great.

Logging calories also helps keep me honest.

So does weighing myself several times a week.

You have to be RIGOROUSLY HONEST about your current caloric needs. If your life is centered on eating hugely caloric, unhealthy meals you have to change your life and redirect your focus.