Healthy Campfire food?

Options
jasperann
jasperann Posts: 136 Member
I am going camping in about 3 weeks and I was trying to find healthy recipes that I can cook on a campfire. Besides Baked Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes. When I looked it up on the internet I kept finding desserts and such..

Any ideas?

Replies

• nessat18
    nessat18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil dinners pick your meat and any weg you want season the food wrap in tin foil and let it sit in coals not actual flame until the meat is coked and the veg is good I usually do hamburger with onions carrots beans but you can add tons of other veg and chicken is really good in it too!!
  • TammyLegattJohnson
    Options
    Prepare black bean burgers ahead of time. All you have to do is heat them up and you have your meal prepared and do not have to worry about keeping meat cold since it is a vegetarian dish. I would pair the burger with any desired vegetable and fruit for dessert. Have fun!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    You can make a foil dinner...I make these in my oven at home but mine usually consist of nothing but veggies with alittle pam spray

http://camping.about.com/od/recipes/r/ucrec258.htm
  • jasperann
    Options
    Those are really good ideas!! Thanks so much! Last time I went camping I weighed really close to 300 lbs so I really wasn't worried about what I ate.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Kabobs are usually pretty easy. Just a matter of slicing up a bunch of veggies and a meat to roast over the fire.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Kabobs would probably be good. Chunks of chicken or lean steak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, pineapple. You'd have to tend to them and turn them - don't know if you're looking for more of a hands-off thing? You could also grill up some fish.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I made campfire cabbage rolls a few weeks ago - the comments others have made are good direction for these too! I mixed a filling (I searched my fridge for veggies and ended up with onions, carrots, celery, asparagus, and a can of tomatoes, along with pork sausage, bacon, and a little leftover cheese), blanched a head of cabbage, peeled off the leaves, and made the rolls. I put the rolls (and the leftover filling/chopped cabbage) in some aluminum foil, and stuck it on a bed of coals for about 30 minutes. They were perfect, and my husband, friend, and brother stuffed themselves. We reheated the leftovers later, and they were great too. Good luck!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Choose the right ones and hotdogs are a great option! Find all all natural with no fillers or addatives, read the ingredients carefully! And choose buns w/o HFCS in them and you are good to go!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil dinners pick your meat and any weg you want season the food wrap in tin foil and let it sit in coals not actual flame until the meat is coked and the veg is good I usually do hamburger with onions carrots beans but you can add tons of other veg and chicken is really good in it too!!

Sounds yummy I might try this on our BBQ
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Get some cast iron and you can cook anything over a fire. Walmart sells some great camping accessories including a combo grill with charcoal box and griddle that can be used over a fire. Or use a coleman stove. We always have eggs, pancakes, roasted vegetables, chili, beef stew - almost anything we can cook at home, we can cook while camping.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    cooking in foil packets.

You can do chicken, fish, and veggies in foil packets. Easy cleanup. Use olive oil and a splash of lemon pepper (sold in bottles in the spice section)
  • llenadadelgozo
    llenadadelgozo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love corn on the cob over a campfire or grill.... peel off the outer husk, leave all the inner leaves on... or wrap it in aluminum foil and cook...so good!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Salmon/Fish cooked over campfire in a wire holder basket.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This isn't for the campfire but I made a 7 layer salad for our camping trip this past weekend! It was a big hit! 1 cup is 5 carbs! I'll be making this again! Just google 7 layer salad and lots of recipes come up! Good luck!
  • jasperann
    Options
    I love corn on the cob over a campfire or grill.... peel off the outer husk, leave all the inner leaves on... or wrap it in aluminum foil and cook...so good!

I love this as well!! It is one of the things I am looking forward too!

You guys are all awesome, thanks for all the great ideas.
  • jasperann
    Options
    Get some cast iron and you can cook anything over a fire. Walmart sells some great camping accessories including a combo grill with charcoal box and griddle that can be used over a fire. Or use a coleman stove. We always have eggs, pancakes, roasted vegetables, chili, beef stew - almost anything we can cook at home, we can cook while camping.

I was also thinking of getting a dutch oven, I've heard good things about those.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Kebabs are great! Pieces of chicken and veggies! Roast over the flame or on the grill.

Tin foil dinners are good too! You can put anything in them! I usually do chicken with veggies!

Any salads are great as well! You can even cook chicken over the fire/grill and add that.
  • klkoehn
    klkoehn Posts: 10
    Options
    Camping omelets - Chop all the ingredients you'd like in an omelette, scramble a bunch of eggs ahead of time (egg whites only if you prefer). Boil water over your fire, combine a scoop of egg and your other ingredients in a ziplock Freezer bag and throw it into the boiling water until it's cooked. Must be freezer bags, because thinner bags can't tolerate the boiling water.
    Enjoy!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've camped since I was about 3 years old and that makes it at least 10 years now (grin).

As was mentioned you can do foil dinners, taking ground turkey, veggies and spices and putting them in foil over a fire to cook. Excellent and healthy. I found in the Weber Grill section of stores the mesh grates to put over a fire. Works great for making fire grilled veggies, fish, shrimp and other foods that would fall off or through a normal grate.

Chicken breasts, turkey breasts ... heck almost anything you can think of can be prepared over a camp fire.

I make breakfast over the fire as well using the 'pudgy pie' makers. Eggs and turkey bacon between bread, grilled/toasted over the fire.