heavy lifting

Options
I'm pretty much a newbie to the whole weight lifting world. I've done some weighted squats and used the dumbbells before, but I'm really looking to step up my game and I've heard of people (women) getting amazing results from lifting heavy. I'm currently recovering from anorexia, but I'm pretty far along in my journey. I've gotten to a healthy weight plus some!! haha, so I'd like to work on building more muscle but i dont know where to even start!!! tips? advice? opinions? have you done heavy lifting and do you like it or not?

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting on this too. But check out the book: 'The new Rules of Lifting for Women'. There i also a group on here of women who are following this.
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    bump
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Many women seem to like "New Rules" mentioned above.

Stronglifts is another solid introductory program. If you search for "Stronglifts" in the groups section, it will give you two groups dedicated to the program here on MFP. One is for women only (and is more active), and the other is for everyone.

How much weight are your squats at right now? Are you doing them with a barbell, dumbbells, or something else?

Congratulations on being in recovery, and good luck in your journey into heavy lifting!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Congratulations on your ongoing recovery and congratulations on wanting to "lift heavy"!

This is a great resource in addition to Stronglifts:

startingstrength.com

The forums are a bit more rough and tumble than on MFP but if you go in with the right attitude, the information on here is superb. I also downloaded two of Mark Rippetoe's books ($10 each) that are a bit dense but contain an incredible amount of useful information for the beginning heavy lifter.

I will go out on a limb and say that if you stick with this (and truly lift heavy), it could change your life. Good luck!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started in February with Starting Strength (Rippetoe)--highly recommend. It's a great, simple, EFFECTIVE barbell program. Google Rippetoe videos to learn the lifts.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump....just getting into this myself :)
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I would suggest going to Bodybuilding.com and look at their database of exercise videos. You can click on a bodypart, and it will show you various exercises to work that specific muscle group. THE most important thing when lifting is form, and this would be a good resource to start! Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym I highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." I've had amazing results!

Here's the link to the group of women who are following the program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Another good book is "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises."

Both are available at my local library, or check Amazon.com.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I love it! After starting to get serious about weightlifting near the end of last year I've become addicted. (I've been in weights for about 2 years though) It's an amazing feeling progressing and going up in weights. I would suggest finding some sort of plan to follow and stick with that for a while. There are several plans on bodybuilding.com. For a while I was taking routines from Jamie Eason's live fit or Kris Gethim's program. It helps if you find one and stick to their plan if your a begginner. And if you ever have any specific questions or just want friends for support, feel free to add me. I love having friends on here with similar goals of lifting. :)
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump. very interested myself
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I prefer Stronglifts 5x5 over New Rules.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I second hitting bodybuilding.com! I also would watch people and repeat. Now, we do many of the same exercises the guys do and they will help us if we aren't doing it properly.
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I'm really looking forward to jumping into this :)!! I'll have to check all of these out
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump.... just getting back into it.