Healthy Campfire food?

Options

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just got back from camping over the weekend. I did have some junk but also managed to fit in some healthy things!

A couple items: omelets (egg whites, peppers, soy sausage or any other meat cooked ahead, cheese if you'd like) add to zip lock bag and mix. Add baggies to boiling water cook about 10-15 min. They turned out perfect! No dirty pans or spatulas to
    clean up!

Fajitas- I cut up and marinated steak and chicken ahead of time. Also cut up all my veggies ahead. I cooked it all on a grill but I suppose you could cook it at home first. Anyway we had a bit left over from dinner so I individually wrapped them in foil paper and we ended up putting them on the hot rocks that surrounded the pit for a late night snack.

I also took cut up watermelon, apples, bananas, pistachios, and peanut butter and celery.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just got back from camping over the weekend. I did have some junk but also managed to fit in some healthy things!

A couple items: omelets (egg whites, peppers, soy sausage or any other meat cooked ahead, cheese if you'd like) add to zip lock bag and mix. Add baggies to boiling water cook about 10-15 min. They turned out perfect! No dirty pans or spatulas to
    clean up!

Fajitas- I cut up and marinated steak and chicken ahead of time. Also cut up all my veggies ahead. I cooked it all on a grill but I suppose you could cook it at home first. Anyway we had a bit left over from dinner so I individually wrapped them in foil paper and we ended up putting them on the hot rocks that surrounded the pit for a late night snack.

I also took cut up watermelon, apples, bananas, pistachios, and peanut butter and celery.

I love the omelet idea! I think Breakfast is the hardest for me, because I'm not a fan of cereal. I was planning on fruit and yogurt for breakfast, but having an omelet would be awesome! I found a recipe for bacon and eggs. You lay three slices of bacon next to each other across a Y shaped stick and make a 'bowl' shape with it and cook until it sticks together, then you put an egg in the bacon bowl and cook until the egg is the done the way that you want. I was going to try that, but it sounds a little hard..lol

I was planning on Fajitas, we cook them on the grill at home, so I figure the campfire isn't to far of a stretch.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    With a little thought you can cook almost anything over a campfire. It's been few years since I've been camping (no since i threw my back out and had to stop sleeping on the ground) but here are a couple of out traditional recipes.

Garlic marinated shrimp skewers. Before you leave, puree 1/8 to 1/4 c olive oil (amount depends on how many shrimp you need to coat, most of the oil will drip off into the fire so don't worry too much about it) and 6-10 cloves of garlic (depending on your tastes), add salt and pepper to taste. Place in a freezer bag with large raw peeled shrimp. Toss the shrimp well to coat and get all of the air out of the bag before sealing it. When you are ready to prepare the shrimp, put them on metal, or well soaked wooden skewers. Add whatever vegetables you like, chunks of onion, peppers, cherry tomato, zucchini, mushrooms all work well. Grill them a few minutes on each size until done. Variation - reduce the garlic and add ginger and a splash of tamari for a more asian flavor.

Herb roasted turkey breast - In a large sheet of heavy foil place 1/2 boneless turkey breast, 3 ice cubes, 1 tbsp butter and stems of whole fresh herbs. I usually use lots of chives, 2-4 stems of tarragon and 4-6 sage leaves. Don't chop them, leave them whole. Make sure the herbs are arrayed around the turkey breast as you wrap it in the foil. Make sure to seal all the edges well so no juice leaks out. Wrap the turkey in about 4 layers of foil. Can be placed on a low grate directly over the fire or over coals. Every so often rotate or turn over the turkey so it bastes in the juices. Cooking time will be anywhere form 15 to 20 minutes per pound but this will vary greatly with the temperature of the fire. I usually allow 15 min per pound, pull it off and let it rest for 15 minutes near to the fire but not over it. If you slice it and find that there is little pink in it, cut it into thicker "steaks" and grill them for a minute.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you want simple-- buy chicken or turkey sausages or kiebasse (however that is spelled)

Corn on the cob... baked potatoe (with healthier toppings)

Eggs, turkey bacon
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    breakfast I would just bring a yogurt and granola. I also second the tinfoil meals. We do this at home a lot on the girl. I measure out like 3oz of turkey burger and a ton of veggies. Peppers, onions, carrots, potatoes etc. spray the foil with olive oil spray and voila!! =)
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    A great evening dessert instead of smores, banana boats. You take a banana that's still in the peel, slice down the middle. Stuff some natural peanut butter and a few dark chocolate chips in there. Wrap in foil and lay near hot coals to cook. Delicious!
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Corn in foil!!!
  • garychristy25
    Options
    Black bean burgers from Costco are really easy and good too!
  • garychristy25
    Options
    Yum..that sounds amazing!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can take the fixings for pizza (premade shell - Freschetta has some great whole wheat crusts!) and throw it on the grill if you have one. We do this camping all the time and it's great!

I always take a lot of fruits and basic meats & veggies to grill. You can build a small grill over the fire if you don't have one - just take a small grate with you.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    Kabobs are usually pretty easy. Just a matter of slicing up a bunch of veggies and a meat to roast over the fire.

Some stores even have kabobs already made with chicken, peppers, onions, etc. I do a lot of turkey burger stuff, so you could try that. You could always pack stuff for a salad. Or how about like a stir-fry with chicken and vegetables?

Pack nuts, raisins, dehydrated fruits etc to snack on. So that you are tempted for bad things.

If you over eat, go for a hike or swim or something fun like that!!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    We've started grilling thick cut pork chops over the campfire, which are not super high in calories (but are higher in sodium, so drink lots of water!).
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Catch some fish and cook it on the camp fire, lovely
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Surprised this hasn’t been asked but are you "Car" Camping or Hiking your food in?

By car camping, I mean you unload your car at the camp site. If this is the case you can make almost all of your regular meals and pack them. I prefer to steam veggies in foil and get some chicken or shrimp/fish and grill it over the campfire.

If your packing it in than that’s a different story.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    We've started grilling thick cut pork chops over the campfire, which are not super high in calories (but are higher in sodium, so drink lots of water!).

We grilled some of those with a garlic herb marinade on Saturday...holy yum. I plan to take some camping with us this weekend as well. Also...Johnsonville has a line of turkey and also chicken brats (pre cooked so very easy for camping). They are delicious, and around 120 calories each.
  • jasperann
    Options
    Kabobs are usually pretty easy. Just a matter of slicing up a bunch of veggies and a meat to roast over the fire.

Some stores even have kabobs already made with chicken, peppers, onions, etc. I do a lot of turkey burger stuff, so you could try that. You could always pack stuff for a salad. Or how about like a stir-fry with chicken and vegetables?

Pack nuts, raisins, dehydrated fruits etc to snack on. So that you are tempted for bad things.

If you over eat, go for a hike or swim or something fun like that!!!

Yes we are planning lots of hiking, swimming and mountain biking!! It is going to be a completely different camping trip than my last one where I sat at the camp ground the whole time.

I am good on 'cold' foods. I do love the idea for the stir-fry, I even have an electric pan I could bring to cook it in. Thanks for the idea!!
  • jasperann
    Options
    A great evening dessert instead of smores, banana boats. You take a banana that's still in the peel, slice down the middle. Stuff some natural peanut butter and a few dark chocolate chips in there. Wrap in foil and lay near hot coals to cook. Delicious!

I actually wanted to try these! I've heard that they are amazing! I was thinking of adding some pineapple and dark chocolate chips.

We also do something that probably isn't the healthiest, but I love, it is wrapping a crescent roll on the end of a dole rod and cooking it over the fire until it is done. Then you can put some fruit or peanut butter in the inside of it and it is so good!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Meat on a stick. You get some meat, put it on a stick, place over fire until done...

When I was in the boy scouts, decades ago, we would make steak and potato sandwiches. Pretty simple fair. Also, take a cast iron pan, for the obligatory omelet that turns into scrambled eggs.

Really, if you are camping and hiking enough (like I always do), you shouldn't worry too much about what you eat as long as you keep it reasonable.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh man this sounds good!!
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am not camper but I do subscribe to Sunset Magazine and they always have great tips and recipes for camping. Sunset Magazine is a magazine that focuses on the lifestyle of the west. Last year they had a great issue on taking your camping food up a notch. I actually tried one of the recipes and it was pretty good. I just cannot find it right now or I would send it to you. I totally agree with the cast iron skillet and dutch oven. Both are essentials for any kitchen but also for camping.