What are some good exercises to lose leg fat?

Options
So I'm 18, 5'4", and weigh about 158lbs. I ride horses 2-4 times per week, and exercise at the gym for at least 70 minutes 2-3 days per week. My issue is that I carry most of my weight in my legs, most specifically my thighs. I have a bit of the typical tummy fat, but that is slowly melting away with just a lot of cardio and some ab workouts. What I'm struggling with is making a difference in my thighs.

I am in NO way opposed to building some extra muscle! Actually, most of the exercises I ACTUALLY do with my legs I put on a high resistance/weight. I have a ton of leg muscle, I'm just sick of that extra jiggle going on with my inner thighs!

Does anyone have some tips/some good exercises for really getting your legs in shape? Any and all advice would be great.

(On that note, I currently consume a net 1500 calories per day. Is this a good number or should I up it?)

Thank you! ^_^

Replies

• Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    Everyone is going to tell you that you can't spot reduce, etc. but have you ever tried pilates or a resistance band and worked your inner thighs? There are a few moves that target that but it's also great for hips and your core. I would check it out. :)
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There really isn't any exercise for targeting a specific area of fat. The only way to burn fat is to eat at a caloric deficit and exercise. Where you lose the fat is mostly determined by your genetics.

ETA: To address your calorie question. Using the stats you provided, your BMR is around 1484. You could go up to 1800 calories a day and still be eating at a 20% deficit to your TDEE. However, you may not be completely comfortable jumping that high immediately. I'd try 1600 to start. Stay there for 4-6 weeks and see where you are then.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    running,walking,hiking...
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your calorie number is good. You can't target fat burn. You just have to keep up the calorie counting, cardio, and weight lifting. Give it time. if you keep going with everything, you will see the results eventually. :)
  • AngelaKoder
    AngelaKoder Posts: 24
    Options
    Pilates alwyas makes my legs thin.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    squat squat squats
  • SoundsLikeRamona
    SoundsLikeRamona Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges have been my saving grace. Although, I HATE them. I do them because they work.
    Hope this helps.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am about 70 days in...and am walking ALL the time. Can tell you that I have seen a real change in my legs....to quote my sister "get rid of those pants-they make you look like a clown" lol...went home and put them in the "to be donated" bag
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I lost an inch in each upper thigh in one week of doing this quick exercise every night:
    www.t-tapp.com/articles/legs/index.html
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Raising your fork to your mouth less often. And cardio, especially walking or running. Using a lot of weight on your legs may make them look bigger. As long as that's your choice. The jiggle is caused by excess fat.

If you are comfortable eating at your current calorie level, are meeting your nutritional needs, and are losing weight, I would not increase your calories.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges have been my saving grace. Although, I HATE them. I do them because they work.
    Hope this helps.

I have had countless trainers watch my form and help me with squats and lunges, and I have NEVER seen desirable results from them. I do not understand what I am doing wrong!
  • Rtcounts
    Rtcounts Posts: 6
    Options
    yoga and pilates. any exercise that targets the large muscle groups should help. Or at least that's what a trainer friend keeps telling me. Just have to wait and see. Good Luck!!

8329651.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    walking, jogging, stationary bikes, stair steppers.

I wouldnt say I carry most of my weight in this area but thats definitely where i lost 90% of my weight lol doing all of these things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The best way to cut body fat is eating at a minimized caloric deficit and combined with Heavy resistance/strength training. Cardio can actually make it harder to cut fat.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Hope this helps.

I have had countless trainers watch my form and help me with squats and lunges, and I have NEVER seen desirable results from them. I do not understand what I am doing wrong!

Maybe nothing. I'm assuming you're exercising for slim legs, not big or strong legs (the kind you'd need for a sport). If you're predisposed to carry fat there no matter how much you lose weight, exercises like squats and lunges can have the effect of making you look bigger.

Sometimes trainers don't understand what women want. They assume that any muscle development anywhere will be welcomed.

You might want to Google "Visual Impact for Women." [I have no connection to it.]
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Pilates alwyas makes my legs thin.

There's no direct weight resistance and no hypertrophy. It won't make your legs longer, but it won't make them bigger.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Squats and lunges. Zumba. I have had good results with all three. Good luck to you!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bunp - my problem exactly..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your calorie number is good. You can't target fat burn. You just have to keep up the calorie counting, cardio, and weight lifting. Give it time. if you keep going with everything, you will see the results eventually. :)

This^

Oh how I wish I could target my thighs .... at my lowest weight 106 pounds (I'm 5"5") .... I still had fat legs.

Just keep plugging away ... you may end up with the body of your dreams (or not so much).
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Unless you do liposuction, there is no way to target just your legs for fat loss. I wish there were a way! I'd be doing it! But, as you continue to lower your total body fat %, you will lose fat from your legs.