Down 50lbs, need help losing tough belly fat

Options
I am 240lbs, and 6 foot 2. I am down to 190lbs and need suggestions for the best way to lose stubborn belly fat. I get so many different responses from friends and family. I just want to get an opinion from someone I do not know.

Replies

• kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    cardio and ab workouts.
    and keep and eye out on your fat intake.
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. But, continuing to watch your calorie intake and exercise will help with fat lose. Do you lift weights? Building muscles help burn fat. I strength train 2-3 times a week with cardio on the other days. While I realize that you didn't say you wanted abs, toning and abdominal core work will help build strength, but abs are made in the kitchen. What does your diet consist of? Whole foods, lean meat, etc?
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Read the blog entry I just posted. Super ab workouts are not going to reduce abdominal fat. Like any muscles, super workouts to any part of the body can lead to injury.

What you eat is the most important thing at your stage. A mixture of weight training, good cardio, and proper diet and cutting out insulin-spiking carbs are what you need to shred the last of the fat around your belly. That's where I am also at.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary. Honestly, I think you need to eat more food! I am not going to try and say you are in starvation mode or anything like that, but with your huge calorie burns your body is basically being fueled on a couple hundred calories per day which over time will cause your body to store fat. At the rate you are going you will have no muscles left and probably still have fat on your belly. Eat more healthy food, lots of protein and strength train if you aren't already.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

What you eat is the most important thing at your stage. A mixture of weight training, good cardio, and proper diet

BOOYAH!!
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I hate my belly too. It seems to stick around no matter how much I lose as well. I am currently at the end of a sugar detox as part of the Candida Diet. I can honestly say it has really helped me. I haven't had sugar in almost 10 days and my stomach is flatter than it has been in years. Not saying you have to do something as extreme as I am, but eating only complex carbs (brown rice, quinoa, amaranth) and eating as many green vegetables as you can (spinach, green beans, broccoli), and drinking your 8 glasses of water daily will surely blast that extra belly fat you have. Hope this helps. :-)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Diet, diet, diet - I firmly believe watching carb and sugar intake in addition to a fairly clean eating style and general exercise is a key element to getting rid belly fat

Google "carbs and belly fat" and "fructose and belly fat" - read and make up your own mind...

note to other posters - don't jump on me - I don't think carbs and sugars are "evil"...just the fact that many people probably overeat in these areas - even if eating a diet in moderation...and if one is looking to get rid of belly fat there are studies out there that correllate watching carbs and sugars may decrease belly fat in some people....(and yes I know they are studies and studies can skew to make anything look good - I mean after all there were studies that once showed smoking was good for you...)
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Abs are my problem spot too. I'm not where I want to be yet. But, I can tell you that I saw the biggest improvement with Pilates. Yoga also seems to tighten my abs. But, really, Pilates has been the biggest help for me - especially for those tricky lower abs.

(BTW: I'm totally thinking of trying the 30 day shred after seeing people's before and after pics of their abs from that program.)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your diary. Honestly, I think you need to eat more food! I am not going to try and say you are in starvation mode or anything like that, but with your huge calorie burns your body is basically being fueled on a couple hundred calories per day which over time will cause your body to store fat. At the rate you are going you will have no muscles left and probably still have fat on your belly. Eat more healthy food, lots of protein and strength train if you aren't already.

completely agree!!
    here are some links to help you understand better-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577479-seriously-eat-more-i-did-and-look-what-happened-pics
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and do lots of cardio! You can do all the ab work you want, but all that will do is strengthen the muscles in your abs. To remove the extra, do lots of cardio. It works!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am slowly watching my belly disappear. To accomplish this I have done very little ab only work, save for some planking. I run 3 times a week, lift 2 days a week, eat healthy fats like almonds and avacado, and I am patient with my expectations. It just takes time, but it's slowly working, at least for me.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I am slowly watching my belly disappear. To accomplish this I have done very little ab only work, save for some planking. I run 3 times a week, lift 2 days a week, eat healthy fats like almonds and avacado, and I am patient with my expectations. It just takes time, but it's slowly working, at least for me.

Good stuff! OP, please look at this man's diary! This is how you should be fueling your body!
  • yep11111
    yep11111 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the opinions. I eat so little calories because I am trying to lose the weight, In regards to my abs, I do the plank and work the abs also. My stomach is getting smaller every week. Anyone know ideal body weight for a male that is 6 foot 2?
  • squishycow7
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the opinions. I eat so little calories because I am trying to lose the weight, In regards to my abs, I do the plank and work the abs also. My stomach is getting smaller every week. Anyone know ideal body weight for a male that is 6 foot 2?

totally depends on your frame, as well as your muscle mass and/or what you hope your muscle mass to be. Someone who's 6'2" and barely any muscle development will weigh significantly less than one who's 6'2" and done a lot of weight training- either can be obtained and be healthier for you, but weight is a totally arbitrary concept.

Instead, get your bodyfat% measured. Think about what you want that percentage to be instead of what number you want to see on the scale.

This is cool webpage of some pics that might help you pick a target: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • MB_Positif
    Options

You will absolutely lose weight with your calories this low, but you will surely stall once your body starts storing fat to survive. You will also lose lean muscle mass and end up looking larger for your weight. Long lean muscle takes up less space than squishy fat. Trust me, you're going to need to start eating more, ok :)
  • yep11111
    yep11111 Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat protein and a lot of fruits and vegetables. Any suggestions on the best foods to eat? I still wanna lose a little more weight.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Overall I think you are eating great food, just not enough quantity! For example, why not add something alongside your breakfast smoothie? You can always add more nuts and other healthy fats, like avocado or full fat cheese.
  • squishycow7
    Options
    I eat protein and a lot of fruits and vegetables. Any suggestions on the best foods to eat? I still wanna lose a little more weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/11/10/healthy-eating/
  • SanMcK70
    SanMcK70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Read the blog entry I just posted. Super ab workouts are not going to reduce abdominal fat. Like any muscles, super workouts to any part of the body can lead to injury.

What you eat is the most important thing at your stage. A mixture of weight training, good cardio, and proper diet and cutting out insulin-spiking carbs are what you need to shred the last of the fat around your belly. That's where I am also at.

Can you let me know what are examples of insulin-spiking carbs? I'm not good with that type of food discernment and really need to lose the last 5-8 pounds of stubborn belly fat.