Looking for a healthy & yummy tzatziki recipe??

Options
Skyla08
Skyla08 Posts: 32 Member
Hello Everyone,
Can anyone suggest a good tzatziki recipe? Me and hubby like to make chicken souvlaki about once a week and instead of buying the tzatziki from the store I want to make it....Anyone have a good recipe?

Replies

• Shrinkinglauren
    Shrinkinglauren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki is super easy to make! Here is a recipe I like to use: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/07/worlds-best-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-greek.html
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can't find my clean eating magazine one but this is close. I like recipes with both dill and mint in it, most have one or the other.

I use low fat greek yogurt and strain it so its really thick. You can skip the salt on the cucumber as well if you wish, just drain on paper towel.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-tzatziki-10000001097067/
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    PS - love your pic!

Found the Clean Eating one. Slightly different from the one I posted above

Tzatziki Sauce

1 English cucumber, peeled
    2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
    2 garlic cloves, crushed.
    1 Tbsp fresh dill, finely minced (or 1 tsp dried dill weed if you don’t have fresh)
    1 Tbsp fresh mint, finely minced
    ¼ tsp sea salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp red wine vinegar

Finely grate the cucumber. This works best with a multi-sided cheese grater that can stand inside a bowl, and you will need to grate into a bowl as the cucumber will release a lot of liquid. The idea here is to grate the cucumber into a pulp, so you do not want to use the side of the grater you’d normally use for your cheeses.

Do not use a microplane. You will not be happy with the results. Trust me.

Plop the cucumber pulp into the middle of a piece of cheesecloth or double-layered paper towel. Gather up the ends of the towel or cloth and squeeze to release the remaining liquid from the cucumber.

Note: I only had paper towel on hand, which is what the original recipe suggested, but this step would have been much easier using the cheesecloth.

In a large bowl, fold your now dry-ish cucumber pulp in with your yogurt and mix in the rest of your spices and the red wine vinegar. I only had apple cider vinegar in the pantry and opted to substitute a dash of lemon juice and a dash of red cooking wine.

Opa! You have tzatziki. Chill for an hour to let the spices mingle then enjoy with sliced onion or an actual Greek dish like souvlaki or a gyro.

Of course I stuck my finger in this as soon as it was whipped up. At first I wasn’t sold on it. The Greek yogurt made the sauce a little too tangy for my liking, but after letting the mixture hang out in the fridge for awhile, I found it to be a very faithful recreation of one of my very favorite dressings
    http://www.autumnatoakhollow.com/archives/3352
  • Skyla08
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies!! I will save this and make it tonight! The only question I have is can you subsitute the dill/mint for anything else? Hubby really doesn't like dill, and i'm not sold on using mint? Do you think Parsly would work instead?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Sorry, I am a recipe follower, I am no good at substituting so I can't answer..
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Sure, but don't use a lot of it; or just completely omit it. Recipes are made for playing with.
  • in1basket
    in1basket Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at following recipes so heres how I make mine.

I peel an english cucumber and put it in the food processer
    then I put the cucmber on about 4-5 sheets of paper towel and squeeze as much water out as I can (or care to spend time at)
    Then I put it in a bowl add a 500 ml container of No-fat greek yogurt, and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
    I add a little salt, to taste. (Sorry I don't messure. I just sprinkle some in and stir it around and taste it.)
    Then I let it sit in the friged for a few hours until all the garlic flavour is through. Give it a stir and taste it. If it needs more garlic then I add a little garlic powder and stir it in. That is it. Good luck. I hope you find a recipe that works for you and your hubby.
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Skyla08
    Options
    Thansk everyone!! I look forward to trying it out tonight/tomorrow! :)