30 Day Shred Calorie Burn

Options
Reana27
Reana27 Posts: 63 Member
Does anyone know how many calories are burned doing a 30 day shred workout? I have been entering it as curcuit training, general, and I timed it and the workout is actually 25 minutes, so it gives me 270 calories burned. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I have been reading a lot of articles lately that say most Americans over estimate the amount of calories burned during exercise and I want to make sure I am getting an accurate measurement here.

Replies

• Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do 30ds, and I put it in under Circuit Training, general, but only for 20 min. I would rather underestimate than over, and not see things going in the right direction. I do that with most things that I do.
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I was doing it I researched it quite a bit myself. What I learned is that each person is different according to their weight, heart rate and effort. Having said that I realized that is not a good answer for you and neither was it for me so I went a bit further. I looked at a lot of peoples quesstimates and calories logged for the 30 day shred. After taking the high averages and the low averages I ended up settling on 180 calories burned. To me it seemed a fair estimate and worked out well for me. Hope that helps a bit?
  • jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    Options
    depending on the kind of day I have (i.e. lazy or motivated), my HRM says I burn anywhere between 170-240 calories. I tend to underestimate by about 10% though because I only eat at about 15% deficit of my TDEE.
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when doing it. I weight 211 and on Level 1 I burn 270 ish calories.
  • Reana27
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful...I think I need to invest in a heart rate monitor to get an accurate estimate it looks like (since everyone is different) :wink:
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Using my HRM I burn around 220 with each workout and I weigh around 205.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I researched this before and i came up with about 180 cal, everyone is different though
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM, currently weigh 221 and I burn anywhere from 350-410 on level 1. (I HATE JUMPING JACKS! haha)
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and weigh 128lb and burn about 170 calories during level 1.
  • Reana27
    Options
    I have an HRM, currently weigh 221 and I burn anywhere from 350-410 on level 1. (I HATE JUMPING JACKS! haha)

Me too!!! And if I hear her say there is no modification for a jumping jack one more time, I am going to scream!!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend buying a HRM. Makes me work out harder and longer... to get numbers I like.

I'm 5'11", 185# and currently burn around 200-220 cals for the 27 minutes.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yep, the only way to know for sure is wearing a Heart Rate Monitor, I can reccomend the one I use, Polar FT4 Its under $100.00

Also, everyone has their own opinion about this, but If you want my opinion, an accurate heart rate monitor MUST be one with a chest strap.
  • Reana27
    Options
    So it looks like everyone agrees I should get a HRM to get an accurate calorie burn? I am fairly new to exercise, haven't done it since I was in college, and I have never tracked calories or calorie burn before so I am finding my way in the dark here :huh:
  • Reana27
    Options
    Where is the best place to buy a HRM? At a sports store, like ****s, or online?
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Definitely get an HRM. As lik_11said it makes me work out harder to get the number of calories burned that I want or need for the day. I have the Polar Ft4 with chest strap and I love it. It is very basic but does everything I need it to do. I think it was $60 or so with tax, shipping and all from bodytronics.com.
  • NeptuneGirl
    Options
    I´m 5`7 and weigh 165 lbs and according to my HRM I burn between 195- 210 cals by doing the whole thing, considering from warm up till cool down!
    I too suggest to get a HRM cause not only weight and height affects your calorie burn, so does the intensity of the workout, the shape you´re in, etc etc. I`ve seen that when doing the same exercise over time each time I burn less calories, I guess it´s my body getting comfortable with that tipe of exercise...
  • apeecaleb
    apeecaleb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on your weight and body build...I'm 5'7" and weight 143 and I only burn around 145 cals doing 30ds level 1 but my hubby is 5'8" and like 197 and he will burn 300-400 cals doing the same exercise. That's using our HRM, my heart rate never goes above 150 and hubbys is around 180, so I know he is burning more.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just the info I was looking for. Thanks.