Over ate the whole weekend and gained 8 lbs!!!

Options
Okay so I ate like a pig for the last 3 days at all the parties I went to for memorial Day weekend and my scale says I gained 8 lbs! Is this even possible! I do feel sick after eating all that crap and my capris were so uncomfortably snug today that I couldn't even wear them! Some one please tell me this will all go away in a few days?!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible.
    Is it all fat - no.

The majority of it is water retention and will go away once your start back to your normal routine.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I wasn't bad for just one meal though! It was literally 3 whole days! Yikes!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Most is probably water weight gain. You have to eat 3500 calories above your daily amount to gain a pound of fat. We've all had slips and oops moments, you just have to start over the next day and try for better choices. Have you exercised yet today? I bet a good walk or light jog will make you feel better. Yeah, sometimes it's the last thing you want to do but it would probably help you feel better, physically and even mentally.

Sometimes easier said than done I know, I tend to beat myself up for a good couple days after if I feel like I made poor choices.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There is probably water weight and maybe a lot of "waste".

Are you anywhere near your time of the month? That might have a bit to do with it as well. 3500 calories is one pound. That would be a WHOLE lot of extra calories on your part if this was a true weight gain.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would drink a lot of water this week and get back into your normal routine, hopefully things will level back out.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did exercise 2 of the 3 days I went over board. And I am later today!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 8 pounds of fat, you would have had to have eaten 28,000 calories over maintenance. That's about 9,000 calories a day over the three days. So unless you had six extra baconburgers each day, no, you did not gain all of that in fat.

Some of it likely will be, but probably at most a pound or two unless you really, REALLY ate a lot.

Chances are, a lot of those wonderful snacky foods were full of tasty salt. If so, your body is retaining extra water to deal with all that sodium. Drink extra water for 2-3 days and you'll see most of those pounds melt away. Then you can assess the true setback and go from there.
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did too. ALL 3 days. I however, REFUSED to step on the scale. Didn't want to be more down than I already am. Plus quite a lot of Alcohol consumption too. AND it's that TOM... :(

Let's say a Water CHEER's to back on track! :flowerforyou:
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Sound like you know what you did wrong and are getting back on the right track. I'm sure a ton of that weight is water weight.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I agree...probably most is water weight.
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I did too. ALL 3 days. I however, REFUSED to step on the scale. Didn't want to be more down than I already am. Plus quite a lot of Alcohol consumption too. AND it's that TOM... :(

Let's say a Water CHEER's to back on track! :flowerforyou:

This is me as well. It was a bad weekend foodwise but I did manage to get a couple of workouts in. I weigh in tomorrow and I'm not gonna do it. it's that TOM for me too and I'm miserable. So bloated.

I guarantee a good chunk of that is water weight. Today is a new day. Pick yourself up and get back on program. As Tony Horton says, do your best and forget the rest!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    All I can say to this is...water, water, water. It is your best friend for the rest of this week. Most of the weight is probably water weight especially if you were eating all that yummy, but sodium infested Memorial Day food. I would try to drink at least 3 liters everyday for the rest of the week, then watch the scale go down. You will have to potty a lot but it will be so worth it!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Did you learn anything from this weekend? I am pretty sure there will be other 3 day party weekends, Labor Day for example, so hopefully you won't make the same mistakes, if that is what you want to call them. You just can't be surprised you gained weight this weekend if you really ate that bad. I don't know of anyone who was perfect this weekend so I guess that makes you normal. I enjoyed everything I ate and had low expectations coming into today. It's all about perspective.
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    Im glad I read this because this has Not been a good week for me either. I've had 4 TERRIBLE days. i went from 153.5 to this morning at 158! I'm hoping its water weight. I exercised the past 2 days but I was thinking of reseting my check in weight. Not much of a change since my binge. Ugh, Memorial Day BBQs :/ gotta get back on track but this thread makes me feel a little better and maybe itll drop it a few days of eating better
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup it isnt a true gain! Like someone said you would have had to eat 28,000 over maintance to gain 8lbs. I eat what I want on weekends and always go up by like 5lbs. It comes back down after 2 days =) LOTS OF WATER!!
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Same for me! I stepped on the scale and it said 5 pounds gained! I about freaked!!! I know its water weight and a little too much alcohol!!! Just get back on track today!! Thats what I am doing!!!
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    sounds like water weight...and maybe a pound or 2 of possible fat...but yeah with eating a lot o stuff and drinking the water will hang around for a while...try not to worry about it...just drink lots of water :)
  • sunkis1769
    sunkis1769 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on the weekend. I am strict through the week, but the weekend I tend to cheat. I am always up 5 pounds or so come Monday, but by the middle of the week its gone. Its water weight. Dont worry. It will fall off.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've got a food baby! Eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water or the special day is going to be rough.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    OMG -- Let me assure you, you are NOT alone! I was so naughty this weekend too!

Start slamming that water! :drinker: