Stomach is KILLING me- too much protein?

Options
Leslie85
Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
So, for the past week my stomach has been killing me. I won't go into too much detail, but let's just say every evening I blow up like a freakin balloon. This has been happening for about a week- which is exactly the same time I started using Jillian Michael's Whey Protein. I have also upped my protein intake this past week to probably more protein than I've ever eaten in a day before.

I'm not lactose intolerant, so that's not it. I've always been able to drink as much milk as I like- as well as eat anything involving milk just fine. Besides, I've been mixing it w/ almond milk just to cut down on some calories.

Could it be the whey? Just too much protein in general? Even the almond milk? Any help would be much appreciated. It's quite embarrassing- I don't even want to be around people, because then I have to hold it in...and then I'm miserable!

Replies

• Leslie85
    Options
    bump? C'mon people! I KNOW somebody out there has some advice!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    yesterday i ate alot of protein and noticed that i bloated up even though i didnt go above my calorie limit...it could be the protein...i just felt very very full
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I would switch brands, I have eaten over 1 gram of protein for every lb. of body weight each and every day for the past 16 months and haven't had any issues.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Looked this up for you. Whey protein is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when used appropriately. High doses can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Take a couple days off the protein powder and see what happens. If it goes away, good. Then try the powder again, and if it comes back, you'll have your answer ;)
  • happyonetwentyfive
    happyonetwentyfive Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber could cause digestive issues, especially if your system is not used to it. If you are increasing your fiber, increase gradually in order to allow your body time to adjust.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump (have been using GNC whey protein and was thinking about switching to JMichaels)
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I would also try a different brand as her whey protein also made me feel like crap. I switched over to some I picked up at GNC and had no issues....actually JM brand is the only one I ever felt sick with.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    protein powder can be funny in my tummy when i start using it again after not having used it for a while. it's probably just getting used to it. i'd cut back or change brands and see how that works. good luck :)
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I had the same problem when Is tarted taking a Multi-Vitamin, ebcause of the extra Iron in it and not enough Fiber and water in my diet. I stopped for a couple days and started back up, remembering to drink plenty of water and get more fiber and I was good.

Hopefully you can find your answer.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Too much protein and not enough fiber could maybe contribute to the bloat. Are you getting at least 25g of fiber a day?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Take a couple days off the protein powder and see what happens. If it goes away, good. Then try the powder again, and if it comes back, you'll have your answer ;)
    ^^^^this^^^^
  • andyc240
    andyc240 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have had problems with different proteins but the 1 i find that suits me is the phd synergy or the whey ht+ a little bit more expensive but worth it IMHO
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of anything Jillian Michaels. She is too commercial for me. (Just my opinion)

Anyways.... here is a great brand my trainer reccomended to me :)

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

Amazon link for ya:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI
  • Leslie85
    Options
    I would also try a different brand as her whey protein also made me feel like crap. I switched over to some I picked up at GNC and had no issues....actually JM brand is the only one I ever felt sick with.

Interesting. My fiance uses Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. He orders it from Bodybuilding.com but I think they sell it at GNC. I might steal a few scoops from him and try it out. I took a sip of the Double Rich Chocolate that he has and it was quite yummy. Tasted like chocolate milk! It was literally just a sip so I couldn't tell if it messed with my tummy or not.
  • Leslie85
    Options
    Im not a fan of anything Jillian Michaels. She is too commercial for me. (Just my opinion)

Anyways.... here is a great brand my trainer reccomended to me :)

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

Amazon link for ya:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI

HAHA I literally just posted my above post without reading yours! Funny!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Dont make Whey Protein your only protein source. There's eggs, egg whites, lean turkey, milk, all kinds of whole proteins to consume. Jillian Michaels protein isnt any better than the protein your 18 year old nephew is taking. Optimum Nutritions "100% Whey" Gold Standard is a good protein to switch to. Gaspari MyoFusion is good too. And no, it wont bulk you up like a bodybuilder.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant, but I do have a Whey sensitivity. I was having the same issue. I switched to a soy powder and the problem went away.
  • Leslie85
    Options
    Dont make Whey Protein your only protein source. There's eggs, egg whites, lean turkey, milk, all kinds of whole proteins to consume. Jillian Michaels protein isnt any better than the protein your 18 year old nephew is taking. Optimum Nutritions "100% Whey" Gold Standard is a good protein to switch to. Gaspari MyoFusion is good too. And no, it wont bulk you up like a bodybuilder.

Whey isn't my only source. Only 16g of my usual 90-100g comes from whey. I eat a lot of eggs, and lean turkey or chicken. I had just posted something about the Optimum Nutrition Whey. My fiance used that, and I'm going to try some of his to see how it affects my stomach before I buy any. I tasted his Double Rich Chocolate and it was really good. Tasted better than what I'm drinking now. And I know it won't bulk me up. That would take years of really hard work and dedication!!
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Interesting. My fiance uses Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. He orders it from Bodybuilding.com but I think they sell it at GNC. I might steal a few scoops from him and try it out. I took a sip of the Double Rich Chocolate that he has and it was quite yummy. Tasted like chocolate milk! It was literally just a sip so I couldn't tell if it messed with my tummy or not.
    The cheapest place I have found ON Gold Standard is ebay and Prosource.net