30 DS weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    I use 3lbs but am starting with arms that haven't seen any toning for quite some time. I think that I will be able to move up to 5lbs in a week or so, for some of the moves at least.

I am going to concentrate on good form and getting all the reps, but am also am going to be vigilant about not "dialing it in" and change up when it gets a little easy.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use 5lbs for most exercises, except using 3lbs for the side lunges. Whatever muscle that works is apparently very weak on me. I am thinking about going to buy either 8 or 10 lb ones for moves like the chest fly though because the 5lb is getting too easy there.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Use whatever weight you feel comfortable at. I started with 5 pounds, but on moves like the dumbbell fly or rows, I up it to 8-10 pounds for some challenge.

^^^^ This
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I used 5s. I have a billion JM videos and now I use anywhere from 5-15 pound weights, depending on the exercise.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, I'd use 3lb weights. You do quite a few reps of each exercise, and there is no stopping to rest...so use something you can make it through the exercises with. I think mine are 3lbs. I have 8lbs also, but I just do my own exercises with them- I don't use them for the 30DS!! I'd have jello arms for a week!
  • ellabelle1202
    Options
    Start with 2 cans of soup or canned tomoatoes before you buy weights
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I bought this set off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-Day-Shred-Kit/dp/B0045GT69Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338310768&sr=8-1. It's well made but cheap in cost. My weights are 3 lbs.

blessings,
    sam
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    If you have not been working out regularly, or this is your first time in quite a bit, I would suggest start with 3lbs, if you feel that this is too easy, use the 5 pounds.

This.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started with 5lbs.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started with 3s and when I was comfortable I went up to 5s. I still used the 3s for some of the harder strength moves. Go with what you are comfortable with and make sure you stick with it... you'll be happy you did
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I use 2lbs....but could probably use some 3lbs :)
  • classc1
    classc1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For 30 DS I started out using 3lb weights and I'm now using 5lb weights but soon will move on to 8lbs. Keep in mind I've been doing the 30 DS workout for probably 2 months now but I don't do it everyday. I alternate between it, 6 week 6 pack, Insanity, Hip Hop Abs, elliptical, and running.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used a variety ranging from 5-15 pounds. I'm no stranger to dumbells, though, and do all of the advanced moves. On some of the moves, 5 pounds is pretty heavy (side lunges in L1 and the V-raises in L2). I did fewer reps than Jillian and was able to make it all the way through by the end of the level.

If this is your first exposure to weights, I'd say 2-3 pounds should be good. You are doing high reps for these movements.

Have fun!!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I started and ended it with 5 lb dumbells-it was actually hard with those but I didn't want to start with those then downsize
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am using 4 lb weights and I'm on level 1, day 6.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I started the first time with 3lb weights. By end of level 3 I was doing some moves with 3 and some with 5. I started my 2nd time through yesterday with 5lb weights. My arms feel like wet noodles! I have my 8lb ones ready for some moves not used them yet.