Groceries Are Killing Me

Options

Replies

• Onespirit62
    Onespirit62 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have learned that it is cheap to be fat......being healthy is quite costly. In fact most countries you tell who is poor because the are skin and bones. Our country is probably the only one where you have to pay to be skinny. You have afford surgery to be skinny! Health food is 3x's the cost of junk food. I constantly see news stating the obesity problem in country yet if our government was really concerned about health and obesity they would turn the tables. Make all healthy foods affordable and jack up the prices on junk and fast food. Healthy should be affordable for everyone, everywhere! Ok that was my first little rant.....hehehehhe Have a fantastic day everyone!!!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I too sometimes find that the crap food is sometimes cheaper. Sometimes the good stuff, is cheaper, it depends.

I rarely see fruit sales, like 3 for $5 bag of apples, but I constantly see chip or cookie sales (3 for $5 for example)

I see frozen fruit or frozen vegetable sales, so that is good. Sometimes fresh can be cheaper, again it depends.

Plus I spend a fair amount of time trying to find good coupons and I hate that so many coupons are for products I no longer buy. Juice (not counting OJ) pop, cookies, candy/candy bars, sugary cereal, etc. EVERY so often I come across a coupon that is for something I use and I am like "score!" :laugh:

Basically I shop around all the time. It's not uncommon that I will go to 2-3 grocery stores in 1 day (I tend to shop weekly, since I buy fresh so much) to find the best deals. One store might have cheaper vegetables, the other cheaper fruit, the other store the meat is on sale, etc. It saves money in the end.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you need to write a list of things you need for the month , buy bulk and figure out what fresh things you need weekly like fresh vegetables and fruit

i hope you are looking in to changing your diet some. i read your diary and it doesnt appear to be very healthy looking for what you are spending money on you should have way more on there than you have. coffee and cream for breakfast is not every healthy .. try to break up the amount of calories per meal. eating over 1000 calories at one sitting doesnt fair well with healthier lifestyle changes.

and remember just because something is organic doesnt mean its necessarily better. you can purchase some things for way less and they have just as good a health benefit as organice. i never buy something because it says organic and im healthy as a horse and ive lost 80lbs through the course of two years

good thing is that you are asking questions..i learn something new every day about being healthier and buying food in a more economic way.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That's about my budget as well - but it does feed 2 people! But I'm in Canada (the middle of the prairies) and everything here is more expensive - sometimes when I'm in the States, I just pop into a grocery store to stare at all the cheaply priced dairy products - milk, yoghurt, cheese is at least double the price here. Even when I buy on sale produce at the Walmart Super Center and discounted meat (bulk chicken breast, ground lean hamburger, etc), I rarely walk out of there for less than $200/week.

So true. I'm in Ontario, and a cheap bag of apples alone is 4.99. Food is expensive here, even just the staples. I shop at Costco for bulk. I don't know how people with lots of kids afford to feed them here. It's outrageous how much food costs.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that' It is expensive in Canada. I have managed to cut our grocery bill quite a bit through couponing and price matching at walmart. We still spend about $400-$600 for a family of four since there are not a lot of coupons available for healthy foods. I also have a food saver vacuum sealer so I can buy discount meats and freeze them. They last much longer in the freezer if they have been vacuum sealed.
    That's about my budget as well - but it does feed 2 people! But I'm in Canada (the middle of the prairies) and everything here is more expensive - sometimes when I'm in the States, I just pop into a grocery store to stare at all the cheaply priced dairy products - milk, yoghurt, cheese is at least double the price here. Even when I buy on sale produce at the Walmart Super Center and discounted meat (bulk chicken breast, ground lean hamburger, etc), I rarely walk out of there for less than $200/week.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Sadly it does cost more to eat well.

See, I think its a 'wash' on some things. Other things that are affected by regional weather changes is when things might get more pricey.

I live in New Hampshire so from late spring to late fall - fresh produce is extremely CHEAP! I just spent $1.49/lb for sweet red bell peppers that come in a 3/lb bag. And we use all of it well within its freshness too! But, this can only be done by being very attentive to the circulars that come around.

We have four major grocery chains plus two warehouse-member-only facilities, a huge long line of ethnic markets as well, in addition to my garden that is growing right now. If one place has that one item I need, I guarantee that Ill get the lowest price no matter what in two of those places.

For a former household of three, I purchased my meats every three to four months (chest freezer) the sales were rediculously low!!!! Boneless chicken breasts were only $1.62/lb when I purchased a 40+lb box. 80% Ground beef averaged $1.99/lb if I purchased a minimum 10lbs. So on and so forth...

Fresh produce for a former household of three - I didnt spend more than $75.00 each week. That was hitting all of the sales and in some cases a store would price-match!!! Even better!

Winter time though, thats where I have to get really creative. Thankfully it didnt get too bad - we only had two snow storms so that meant vendors could make their deliveries easier, faster and quicker thanks to clean road conditions... so prices actually remained the same give or take.

Once my garden is ready for picking, Ill save about $50.00 per week. Today though, eight months of an empty nest, I dont spend as much but I do buy more vegetables - Im a fan of the rabbit foods for sure!
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like to buy fresh stuff but frozen vegetables are great. My supermarket had a sale 12 for $12 on the steamer veggies and we stocked up. It's great to have in a pinch too.

My local supermarket usually has a weekly store coupon like save $10 off of $75 or $5 off of $50 which is great. They also double $1 coupons. I always clip coupons but haven't been using them much since I've been buying more fresh foods. We're also in the middle of what we call "Project Pantry" where we have challenged ourselves to actually use our stock of pantry items. You'd be surpised what you can make with the things you already have.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For me it was a slow process. I can easily spend $600 - 800 a week on groceries. But, that includes my wine and non-food items, like razors, shampoo, cleaning products, all that other stuff that really adds up quickly. Once I thought about that, I realized my food budget wasn't as high as I thought. I still don't know what it really is because I don't take the time to track it. But, it did get cheaper.

Here are some easy things I did:
    I buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts and fish at Target. The bags are about $6. With both bags, I can eat for almost two weeks.

I buy a lb hamburger and make meatloaf. The meatloaf will last me all week.

Then, I buy veggies fresh, I stop by the store on my way home from work and decide what to accompany my protein with.

I always have either brown rice or potatoes on hand.

I buy tuna fish, bread, peanut butter. And things to make salad, but very basic, just lettuce, some cherry tomoatoes and dressing.

For breakfast, eggs, oatmeal, and I like to buy some small corn tortillas.

With all this, I can pretty much eat well for about 2 weeks or so, and it shouldn't cost $600/week. Maybe closer to $40 or so. I should add that I eat out almost every day for lunch, so this is just breakfast and dinner. I think making my lunch daily was costing me more than buying it.

Once you stock up, you won't need everything every week, so it keeps the weekly grocery bill down. Like, I don't eat oatmeal every morning, so I only buy it once a month or so.

Good luck.

Another thing, while its great to be healthy and eat only certain types of meats and all that, if you're budget is constrained, it's ok to eat whatever is cheap. Right now, I don't have the luxury of eating more costly alternatives. I just eat what is cheap. The other thing I do is I have noticed that at my grocery store, they always have sales on meat on Sunday. So, I'll go in there and I can get chicken for .99/ lb, or a whole chicken for $3. I only buy meat on sale anymore. Even if I don't plan on buying meat during that visit, if I say a great desk, like last week they had a two for one sale, I totally snagged it and had an awesome BBQ. :-)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome for responding!
    Yes, I did just start trying to eat clean so part of the expenditure has been that “startup” cost, like the no additive peanut butter as one poster mentioned. I’m also trying to eat more organic foods. Some people may say that organic isn’t any better than regular (and until recently I believed that as well), but particularly for meat, eggs, and dairy I’m concerned about the use of hormones and antibiotics in my food supply. I’m also in North Carolina, where food (especially is much more expensive than it was when I lived in Upstate NY. I don’t throw any produce away – I’m pretty good about making sure it gets used. I do have a massive container garden on my back porch. It’s not producing anything yet, but my plants are getting big so I should have lots of organically grown veggies in the next month or two!

I’m looking back through my diary (please excuse the trip to Dame’s Chicken & Waffles yesterday for lunch – it was a dear friend’s request for her going away party before she moves and it was the best meal I have ever eaten in my life, I’m pretty sure). Here’s some of the expensive stuff that sticks out to me:

Blueberries – 3.99 a pint for the non-organic (organic was 6.99 a pint)
    Morningstar Farms Veggie Burgers – About $1.50 apiece bought in bulk at BJ’s. I won’t be buying these again once they are gone, I’ll start making my own from chickpeas or spinach.
    Feta Cheese - $4 for a 6oz container
    Organic Cheese - $3-4 for an 8oz block
    Eggs - $3.99 for a dozen organic
    Fresh Spinach - $4 a bag, and I could eat a bag a day no problem.
    Greek Yogurt - $5 for a 32oz container, $7 for organic – and that’s just a tub of the plain, unflavored stuff

I went to Whole Foods last weekend to buy some No Hormone/No Antibiotics beef and chicken. The cheapest beef I could find was $14 a pound, and the chicken was $8 a pound. Obviously, I walked out without any meat.

Although I didn't ask for a critique of my calorie intakes, the reason my breakfast is minimal is because I'm doing an Intermittent Fasting protocol. I know some people think that's unhealthy, but I don't. :-)
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this as I have been having the same issue. I can easily spend $150 a week for my husband and myself. There is some good information here so thank you all for responding. I also have a gluten intolerance so I can't get regular oatmeal, bread, etc and gluten free food is nearly twice as expensive as "regular" food. If anyone has suggestions on eating gluten free on a budget I could use some help!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe that. Eating healthier caused me to SAVE money on groceries. WHAT are you buying? are you making smart decisions? Usually fresh and natural foods are cheaper than the processed junk ones.

I don't know where you get your groceries, but fresh produce is WAY more expensive than buying frozen or canned! Our grocery bills are usually around $100 - $150 (for a family of 4) and I'd say at least $50 of that is produce alone.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I spend $800 for a family of five and I buy Greek yogurt, fresh veggies, fruit, fish, lean meats, etc. Maybe take a really good look at what you are buying and convenience foods?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We shop organic and we do not buy factory farmed meat.

We spend roughly $100/week. That does not include breakfast and lunch for hubby M-F (his work has a subsidized cafeteria so that's paid separate--and it's cheaper than taking your own food to work).

Most of our shopping is at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

We're in the 1% of US residents that only buy humanely raised meats. The other 99% supports the factory farmed system. We're much healthier for it.

We cook pretty much all of our dinners in.
  • qofdisks
    qofdisks Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That plain yogurt is also good with savory flavors such as Greek or Indian recipes. Yogurt can be used instead of salad dressing, mayo and sour creme in things.
    Plain yogurt (Greek is thicker) plus any of these things
    minced onion
    minced garlic
    minced cucumber
    minced mint leaves or parsley
    minced radish
    dill weed
    pickles, sweet or sour
    minced peppers, hot, mild or sweet
    tumeric
    pepper
    celery (seed or stalk)
    onion soup mix
    etc......
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Clip Coupons...we've cut 40% off our grocery bill...saving on things like TP and paper towels and toiletries leaves extra money for fresh fruits and veggies!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do not approve of what I am about to suggest, but I do it myself, so...
    If you are in the USA, you can get a membership from Amazon.com - I think it is 70 bucks a year...
    I buy food from amazon in bulk, because I can buy organics in bulk from them on a schedule of delivery and it really saves on the cost. actually, many things are cheaper this way, even when you add in the 70buck membership fee- because with the membership there are no shipping fees. Not just food, but also things like tea, supplements etc.
    If you have good sun and a south facing window- a 5 gallon bucket- grow tomatoes. They are sooo expensive in the store. And green leafies... (kale, spinach, chard) easy to grow- big on nutrition...

Good luck to you.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk as much as possible from some place like a Costco or Sams. You can get large amounts of rice/beans for a lower price. Also you'll find that some proteins are just too expensive to be used on a daily basis. I love salmon. It's my favorite fish but it's a treat for me due to the price so I normally buy tuna instead. Chicken is much cheaper than steak (and less fat too) and eggs are always a good source of protein.

Sadly it does cost more to eat well. Froot Loops cost much less than actual fruit.

Costco/Sams isn't really that much of a savings if you buy smart when things are on sale.

I spend a lot more on groceries now, yes. But I also don't spend as much going out, etc. So it works out. I just try to buy when things are on sale. If chicken is $2.99 a pound for boneless/skinless I buy and freeze it. It's nothing for me to buy 6-8 packages at a time.

It hurts at once, but it helps when I need more and it's $4.99/lb.

Farmers markets are also a good source of veggies/fruits and can usually run you less.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I went to Whole Foods last weekend to buy some No Hormone/No Antibiotics beef and chicken. The cheapest beef I could find was $14 a pound, and the chicken was $8 a pound. Obviously, I walked out without any meat.

Either you pay for it now in quality food costs, or you pay for it later in medical bills.

If you buy the family packs at Whole Foods they are VERY affordable (enough chicken for 3 meals for around $7). Also, humanely raised local beef has 1/2 the fat of factory farmed.

Up to you.

I've spent 35 years being a responsible carnivore. If you shop meat based on price you're going to get grain fed government subsidized Tyson-like product. Eat up!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've found that my grocery bill has actually gone down since I've starting eating healthier. I do watch for seasonal fruits and things on sale. I buy very few things pre-made. My big splurge last week was $12 on some fresh gulf shrimp - but that was enough for four meals!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try making your own yoghurt - google instructions, it is easy and so long as milk is cheaper than yoghurt, you are away!!