can you withdraw from diet pop?

Options
Its been 3 weeks without drinking any diet pepsi, week 1-2 were fine..now i have this headache that doesnt seem to go away..could this be from cutting out the aspartame? Or too much water ?

Replies

• tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would think it might be more an effect of cutting the caffeine than aspartame. I doubt it would be from too much water.
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    I would think it might be more an effect of cutting the caffeine than aspartame. I doubt it would be from too much water.

Wow i never thought of that. How long will this last?
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Its from cutting back on the caffeine. I got one when ever i cut out the caffeine and my dad got one too. Our body jsut become so dependent on it that it kind of shocks it. Drink alot of water and stay hydrated. I used a miagrain motron and it helped alot i think cause it has a little bit of caffeine in it so i could function! Good luck
  • Jennchel
    Jennchel Posts: 16
    Options
    I would have to agree it's the caffeine as well. However, not sure how you're drinking your water, but for me if I drink a big amount at once I will get a headache. I have to drink little amounts all day long. Aside from when I'm working out. Good luck, you'll get over this hurdle before you know it.
  • amusgrave
    Options
    Its from cutting back on the caffeine. I got one when ever i cut out the caffeine and my dad got one too. Our body jsut become so dependent on it that it kind of shocks it. Drink alot of water and stay hydrated. I used a miagrain motron and it helped alot i think cause it has a little bit of caffeine in it so i could function! Good luck
    [/quote

Thanks! Im going to try to fight it off as long as i canwithout medication its pretty bad right now tho. Anybody know how long this will last?
  • DOROTHY1034
    DOROTHY1034 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am officially pop/soda/coke free. Started yesterday. Drinking water, water with Crystal Lite in it, unsweetened ice tea and skim milk. I never did like diet soda, so that is no problem.
  • amusgrave
    Options
    Water is best! Crystal lite has too much chemicals for my liking
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced it's entirely caffeine, because recently I did the same thing. And having some caffeine didn't solve it. I think it's a mix of both to be honest.

I would say it took me about 4 - 5 weeks to feel properly back to normal. At the time I was appalled by such estimates, as I was hurting. But now I've done it... boy am I thankful. I don't constantly have to worry about when I can receive my fix. I can even have the odd diet drink again now without falling back off the wagon, but now I'm over withdrawal I don't crave them really anymore. In fact I feel a bit crap after Coke Zero.
  • evmc34
    evmc34 Posts: 3
    Options
    I was drinking 20 to 40 oz of Diet Dr Pepper each day and would get terrible headaches when I tried to cut back. I started drinkning 2 glasses of water per bottle of diet soft drink and the craving for the soft drink went away. If I get headaches I take Exedrin Migrain - it has a touch of caffeine in it.

While I was at it I decided I was probably addicted to the sodium, too. So I decided if I wanted a soft drink I would use a 2 liter bottle and buy the 'real' stuff instead of the chemical laden diet drinks. A 2-liter bottle will last me a month and if it goes flat it tastes like nasty diet drinks!! But it does squash the craving.

I now use a filtered water pitcher at work (also at home) and drink 5-7 glasses of water a day while at work. I very rarely have cravings for soft drinks but I have to have a sip or two (never more than 4-5 ounces at a time) when snacking on popcorn but otherwise hardly ever touch the stuff!