should I? shouldn't I?

Options
I don't have an air popper for pop corn.

I just use oil in a pan and cook it over the stove.

Do I add the oil to my calories?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it's in your food, then it should be tacked on to your calories.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Ok I thought so, but wasn't sure if the oil actually got on the popcorn or whatever.
  • ibanezmike
    ibanezmike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would add the oil to your calories. But if you want to cut it down, I think you can sub in a bit of water.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would just not the whole amount

if you used 2 tbsp.. i dont think 2 tbsp went in, look in the pan if its still greasy then all the grease did not make it on the popcorn. I would only track half or third
  • bellafrmtx
    bellafrmtx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked popcorn that way, but would you be able to use a cooking oil spray? I currently use an olive oil spray if I must include this in my cooking. Here's a link w/ some nutrition facts on it:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=extra+virgin

Hope this helps!
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    I would add the oil to your calories. But if you want to cut it down, I think you can sub in a bit of water.

No. I need to actually increase my calories so I was hoping the answer would be yes to add the oil lol

I'm low for today already, so I'm just trying to figure out snacks and stuff for later that will help me get calories in. I'm also low on groceries so that isn't really helping.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

really? water in hot oil? let me know how that goes.
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    I've never cooked popcorn that way, but would you be able to use a cooking oil spray? I currently use an olive oil spray if I must include this in my cooking. Here's a link w/ some nutrition facts on it:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=extra+virgin

Hope this helps!

I've tried using cooking spray and yes it pops, but it comes out kinda hard and not very popcorny lol It's not fluffy
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Better idea - get some of those paper lunch sacks.

Put 2 tbs popcorn in there, fold over the top twice, microwave for 2 minutes.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

No. I need to actually increase my calories so I was hoping the answer would be yes to add the oil lol

I'm low for today already, so I'm just trying to figure out snacks and stuff for later that will help me get calories in. I'm also low on groceries so that isn't really helping.

Half an avocado has about 150 calories and it's great spread on toast, which has 50-100 calories per slice. That would be a good high calorie, but healthy, snack.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I would do this and add some real butter to the popcorn...yum
  • janinebudgell
    janinebudgell Posts: 46 Member
    Options

YOU GOT IT!! I do this for a treat :) works well!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options

really? water in hot oil? let me know how that goes.

Yeah this is pretty much what I was thinking.

Mmmm popcorn.
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options

I would do this and add some real butter to the popcorn...yum

I hate butter lol

Chocolate syrup drizzled over popcorn is yummy though!