changing exercise routine = weight gain???

Options
So I normally exercise every day and I pretty much have the food thing down. Lately I have been alternating every other day between doing the elliptical and The Firm dvd's. But my elliptical is on the fritz (working on getting warranty exchange). So, I've been running instead, at least 2 miles a day on the days that I don't do the firm. It's probably been a solid week now that I've been running instead.

I save my weight on my scale every week (wednesdays), but I have a really bad habit of stepping on every day just to see...last wednesday I weighed in at 202.8, and every day since then my weight has been 203-204-point-something. Today, I weighed in at 203.8. UGH!!!

I heard that sometimes working out can cause your muscles to retain water. And I have been sore this week because I'm working my muscles differently than what I've gotten used to.

Am I just making excuses for myself, or is it legitimately possible to gain weight while doing cardio???

FRUSTRATED!!! :huh:

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    So I normally exercise every day and I pretty much have the food thing down. Lately I have been alternating every other day between doing the elliptical and The Firm dvd's. But my elliptical is on the fritz (working on getting warranty exchange). So, I've been running instead, at least 2 miles a day on the days that I don't do the firm. It's probably been a solid week now that I've been running instead.

I save my weight on my scale every week (wednesdays), but I have a really bad habit of stepping on every day just to see...last wednesday I weighed in at 202.8, and every day since then my weight has been 203-204-point-something. Today, I weighed in at 203.8. UGH!!!

I heard that sometimes working out can cause your muscles to retain water. And I have been sore this week because I'm working my muscles differently than what I've gotten used to.

Am I just making excuses for myself, or is it legitimately possible to gain weight while doing cardio???

FRUSTRATED!!! :huh:

I have heard that too...that working out can cause your muscles to retain water. Don't fret...it is probably just that. Maybe you will even see better results since you are changing up your routine! Give it another week or so, I bet the scale will go back down.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I just started really exercising last week, I finnally got the food thing down. I've gained 3 pounds since then. I just have to keep telling my self It's fine and I'm getting smaller. I ordered a tape measure so hopefully that will come soon and I'll be able to see some kind of result.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    First off: AWESOME JOB girl at losing the 70+ pounds , you otta feel proud!!! I agree with the water retaining and my suggestion is to drink MORE water so your body will get get back to it's right state! Yeah you will be sore because your body was getting use to the eliptical, so really it is a good thing that it broke down for awhile and you can change up a cardio routine and boost your heart and your muscle in a different way!! I think it is sooooo awesome that you are PUSHING yourself to run. Each time you go run go harder or go further and you will stert seeing the pounds drop! I ask that you weigh once a week so like today you won't feel discouraged! You are doing a marvelous job and we at MFP want to see you reeach your goal!!! Good job and hang in there!!!
  • Meggs209
    Options
    wow, thanks for posting this! I have had exactly the same problem! Like youa nd all the other I have the food thing down and the workouts but I think I need to change it up a little. That and stop weighing myself everyday, because I'm driving myself crazy!! I try to remember when I'm lifting weights I'm adding muscle
    And besides the number on the scale I try and look at other changes like my belly not being as flabby or my arms getting more toned.Good luck!!
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...this helps so that I know I'm not just crazy!!! I've been peeing like crazy today, so probably I'll lose that pound again and then some! LOL (I HOPE!!!).

And I know that scale is a horrible addiction. I can't seem to stop myself from stepping on...<sigh> I'll try!!!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opnion is that runnng 2 miles does not = the same amt of cal burned as the eliptical. at least its not for me...

but cheer up 70lbs that is awesome!:wink: