Special K Diet?

Options
So sitting in work on my break trying to be all healthy whilst other's are munching away on burgers, chips, the usual things I would have for lunch and the skinner b***ch who thinks she is the best thing since Michael Buble walks in with a bowl of Special K for her lunch.
I looked at my watch, then her and thought, 'Am I missing something?!'
Anyway after she sits down and before she takes her first mouthful, the girl says, 'Oh doesn't anyone want to ask why I'm having this for lunch?'
I look at her to say, 'You messing?! '
Then she mutters on about how she is now 7st 4 and has to loose the extra 4 pounds she has gained in the past few months even though she is as skinny as a twig. (Snapped right down the centre).
Don't get me wrong, fair play to the girl for wanting to shift the extra 'few pounds' but what I really want to know....

Anyone tried the Special K diet? Does it really work?

Replies

• xlolitabandita
    Options
    i used to do this all the time in high school to keep my weight down durring my off seasons(I played soccer, danced, and dabbled in martial arts). While I did lose weight on it, it's not sustainable. You get very bored, very quickly and you're hungry all the time. However, they didn't have many options back then. Not to mention, you're probably not eating enough calories on it. It's very high in sugar. I do enjoy a bowl of their cereal or a snack bar every once in a while, they are pretty delicious, but I seriously wouldn't recommend anyone do it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for Special K.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    All you are doing is limiting calories. The only difference is you are using their food products to help do it.

It is not sustainable. I would rather eat however many calories their bowl of cereal and milk is worth of real food than two bowls of their cereal a day. I would go crazy.
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love special k cerial but just for a snack after dinner. (chocolate delight)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Basically you eat cereal for 2 meals (original Special K has good protein numbers ... all the rest ... nope). You add other Special K products for snacks (cereal bars, protein water, crackers) ... then you eat a healthy dinner. It's easy to not have to think about 2 meals ... but after the weight loss ... then what?

I've thought about it, but not tried it ... I agree with poster who said that it's not sustainable really.
  • ZumbaholicEmz
    ZumbaholicEmz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to do it! I did lose a little bit of weight but when I stopped it I just put the weight back on...it was sooo boring as well, I actually cannot stand special K to this day because of that diet! :P
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the best thing since Michael Buble

that bad, huh ?
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVVE Special K with Red Berries. But I would eat the whole box. Diet FAIL.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I love Special K, plain and/or with milk. Three cups with 1/2 cup of milk is a decent meal or snack depending on your caloric plan. Currently it's part of my night snack. When I was loosing, two cups with 1/2 cup milk was my 4th meal. Good stuff.

All she's doing is restricting calories with their food. She could easily replace it with anything else with the same caloric value and get the same results.
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it today. Kellogg's have a special K diet website. This is a copy of Sunday 03 June

Breakfast Grilled Mushrooms, Bacon & Tomato Toasted Sandwich with Grapefruit Juice

2 grilled lean rashers back bacon
    1 medium tomato (grilled)
    2 thin slices wholemeal bread
    2 level tspn low-fat spread
    2 medium mushrooms
    1 tspn olive oil
    1 tspn fresh oregano
    * Brush the olive oil onto the mushrooms and tomato (sprinkle oregano to taste) and grill alongside the bacon * Toast the bread and spread thinly with the spread and eat together with the grilled bacon, mushrooms and tomato * Enjoy with a glass of grapefruit juice

Morning Snack Semi-sweet Biscuit

Lunch Main Beef Roast with Yorkshire Pudding and Vegetables

2 thick slices lean roasted beef
    1 Yorkshire pudding
    3 boiled new potatoes
    3 tbsp steamed spring greens (shredded)
    ½ medium steamed carrot (sliced)
    2 tbsp (sliced) steamed leek
    2-3 tbsp gravy (made up with gravy granules)
    * Serve the lean roast beef together with Yorkshire pudding, new potatoes and steamed vegetables. Pour over piping hot gravy and eat immediately

Lunch Dessert Fruit Sorbet

Afternoon Snack Fresh Cherries

Dinner Main Prawn Salsa Sandwich

20 boiled prawns
    2 medium slices wholemeal bread
    2 small lettuce leaves
    * Spread the salsa on the bread slices and load in the lettuce and prawns

Dinner Dessert Apple

Not Bad! I feel I need some ideas and this has loads also you can change meals you don't like and when you log your food you can add other things. It is not as good as MFP an I will still be logging both.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I tried it in my Failed Diet days (see also: Slim Fast; cabbage soup) and I have to say it made me bleedin' murderous. Starving, headachey, and thinking it was all a bloody money-spinner. Sugary cardboard twice a day? No wonder you lose weight.
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried it but couldn't keep it up. Plus - Special K is expensive!! I much prefer corn flakes or Weetaflakes. Yummy : )
    Its good for quickly losing a few pounds but I found I was hungry and got very bored
  • layladesf
    layladesf Posts: 4
    Options
    I've actually been on it for almost a week now & I've already started to see a difference (not major just things like trousers are looser my stomach feels less bloated) A lot of people are saying that you're hungry after eating it but, to be hoonest I have it with a piece of fruti & I'm actually fine. In regards to the overall hunger-personally I'm ALWAYS hungry lol whether I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or special K. The special k 2 meal replacement plan works for me cause, I HATE planning my dinner and I'm not lead to temptation to cheat cause I KNOW what I have to eat for dinner. I'll fill you in after 2 weeks to see if I'm bored of it yet but, you should defo give it a shot to kickstart your weightloss
  • louiloui123
    louiloui123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i did the diet and lost 3lb in 5 days it does make you full but i had a lot of gas and was concerned about not getting a mix of foods would do to my body so i rejoined mfp. Special k diet is about 1500 a day and my daily target is 1200 on mfp so this works for me and i dont feel like i am cheating because i get to pick a mix of food that helps me to loose weight.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    I love Special K and seeing this post has made me want a bowl.....
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What does the diet actually consist of? Eating Special K for breakfast lunch and dinner. That's it?
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just eat Special K Protein Plus to get my protein numbers up! But I eat it as a snack, not a meal substitute.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate how Special K is marketed as a health food when really there's very little nutritional value to most of the cereals. Lots of sugar, very little fiber, protein, etc.I do know they have snack packs and meal shakes now, which I honestly don't know anything about because I don't really like eating processed and premade foods anyway.

I think the Special K diet would probably know a few pounds off you, but it's certainly not the healthiest diet in the long run. Your better off sticking healthier breakfast options like oatmeal, eggs, etc, and just eating clean. Keeping the weight off will probably be easier.
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would work for me, but I just tried the protein snack bars to have with a big water bottle on the way home from work so I don't go nuts on my pantry during my "witching hour". A little pricy, but tasty & pretty satisfying - I'm gonna work the sales & stock up. Good luck!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Your coworker sounds like she's starved... for attention.

Special K's like any other meal replacement diet out there. You eat and drink their products instead of "real" food and you're supposed to drop weight like you were shedding heavy winter sweaters. It doesn't really teach you anything about balancing your meals or what's good for you v. what's not, it's just making you eat specific items for specific meals or cravings and you end up flopping because you get tired of eating the exact same thing every day.

I remember when Special K first came out with their cereal and dared people to take the "2 week challenge" and I got so sick of it by the end of week one I couldn't stomach another 7 days of eating it. It's monotonous and rather tasteless.