Differences in Greek Yogurt?

Options

Replies

• AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever brand is on sale...for the most part I just get the plain and add either Kashi and PB2, or another granola-type cereal to it. The only flavored Greek yogurt I like is lemon and so far have only found that in Chobani, but if it's not on sale it's not in my fridge!
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can not stand greek yogurt as eating for yogurt.... BUT I've found that any PLAIN greek yogurt is an AMAZING sour cream substitute!!!!
  • SandiBren
    SandiBren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chobani or Dannon Oikos.....both excellent. My favs are black cherry, pineapple and lime. Yumm! Nothing else comes close. We tried the Chobani honey one and it was sickeningly sweet. And didn't like the pomegranate at all.
  • thomasje18
    thomasje18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oikos black cherry is my absolute favorite! Peach is a close second.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I love Fage 2%, and I use it as a sour cream subsitute.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Fage plain 0% so I can add what I want. Some flavored yogurts have a good amount of sugar.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like Oikos with honey, and I add cinnamon to it. I also like Oikos Key lime (if you don't eat it straight from the fridge, in other words let it warm up a bit before eating it, it tastes like key lime cheesecake). And I just tried the Oikos raspberry this morning. I can not stomach the fruit that comes in some yogurts "on the bottom". So disgusting to me. I would rather eat my fruit fresh, and separate. I have sensitive teeth and don't like to chew cold things. I don't like fruit in my yogurt. I'm thinking about getting vanilla Greek yogurt and adding in a little dark chocolate chips. they can at least melt in my mouth.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I can not stand greek yogurt as eating for yogurt.... BUT I've found that any PLAIN greek yogurt is an AMAZING sour cream substitute!!!!

I just discovered this as well! We had nachos the other night and I used it instead of sour cream. SOOO good!!
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post! sorry!:ohwell:
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love Fage 2%, and I use it as a sour cream subsitute.

I too use yogurt as a substitute for sour cream. I use it in place of mayo & sour cream in my broccoli salad. I drain the excess liquid in a paper towel lined fine mesh strainer elevated over a deep bowl for a few hours and use it that way.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My preference is for Fage or Chobani 0% plain. I use it for kind of everything..

I'm a quarter Arabic and most of my "comfort foods" are dipped in plain yogurt so I'm always experimenting with it.. we even bought our own yogurt maker so we can make it at home, too..

Try these:

add fresh strawberries (or ripe peaches or nectarines or plums or blueberries) and a packet of splenda to make your own fresh fruit yogurt

Add two packets of splenda and a little vanilla or almond and dip fruit in it.

Chop up some cucumbers and add a little onion and garlic powder for a tzatziki sauce that's great on sandwiches instead of mayo.

Stef
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There are BIG differences in brand. The cheaper ones use added thickeners (like modified food starches, pectin, and the like) to make the yogurt thick instead of straining off the whey. It saves them money by adding cheap fillers to an otherwise healthy product. Yoplait is guilty of this, as is Dannon Oikos, Activia, etc.

Fage and Chobani are good ones.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Fage plains are the best protein pack for your calorie punch.

Get chobani, yoplait, etc if you want to feel like you are eating healthy but really are having a sugar bomb.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Any of the greek yogurts other than plain are loaded with sugar...I would suggest buying plain non-fat and adding artificial sweetener...I add Splenda, cinnamon and slivered or sliced almonds!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like fage and the trader joe's full fat brand. i always buy plain and add my own fruit and honey. plus since i also use it as a sour cream and heavy cream alternative, it just makes more sense to get the plain
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    I like Chobani and Fage brands. Sometimes I strain them even further to get rid of the excess whey.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Noosa Honey is higher calorie - but the best texture I've ever had in a yogurt. It's yummy.
  • gabwas
    gabwas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oikos is too sweet. I like all Chobanis especially the passion fruit and blood orange.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    I love the Oikos Dannon fat free plain yogurt. 1 cup with 1/2 cup blueberries and ! tblsp GV reduced fat peanut butter. I also ..once in awhile add Nutella...only 1 tblsp....but it is soooo good.. :)
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i LOVE all of them but i also enjoy SIggi Icelandic Skyr yogurt.....it has a similar taste to greek, is very thick and creamy, and also has some cultures