Groceries Are Killing Me

Options

Replies

• adbeau77
    adbeau77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since you are in NC, there are farms around. (I don't know if you are urban or rural, but it shouldn't be too far to get to a rural area.) Have you tried farmer's markets and ethnic markets for veggies and fruits? We are lucky here in Kentucky--I have 7 hens who provide us eggs. When I sold egg dozens, I did so for 2 bucks a dozen, and the farmer eggs around here in markets are about the same. I don't know if they are certified organic, but most probably better than store-bought eggs. (I don't think small farmers are pumping their laying hens full of hormones! We aren't. ) :)

Meat is hard. We buy local when we can. It's not "organic" always, but we do what we can do. I do tend towards cheaper cuts. Have you thought about a menu service like Fresh 20 to help you use up all the stuff you buy?

Sorry I'm not much help, but I wish you the best!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Food prices will continue to rise...rapidly. Thanks, China.

Actually, it's not China.

It's the fact that only 1% of US residents are actually farmers. The rest are factory farms. In fact, the job 'farmer' is not even listed on the US Census any longer. The government does not subsidize any fruit or veggie crops (they do however subsidize mono crops like corn and soy (used in processed food, and to feed animals grains they cannot digest (cows can't digest grain, hence the antibiotics).

China does not have ANYTHING to do with the sad, sad state of US farming or lack thereof.

Did you know that currently there's not enough fruit and veggie growers in the US to currently feed the residents so that they *meet* the USDA food pyramid?

First, the food pyramid is a joke. That aside, I understand. That's why we are having food shipped in from other countries. It's the governments fault and dates way way back. Now, it's just such a mess, with Con Agra in the back pockets of the government. Anyways, this is a topic for another thread, and potentially many documentaries.
  • rgreene89
    rgreene89 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just wanted to say, that eating that much yogurt is really not good for you.
    especially if its sugar free or non fat, in fact if any thing is sugar free like that, it contains high fructose corn syrup and other thing sto make up for it, which block the receptors in your brain that tell you, you are full. Causing weight GAIN.
  • Karlsmit
    Karlsmit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    where do you live? If I shop for groceries in downtown Vancouver, where I live, instead of going out to the suburbs or even across the border into Washington...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Some cities are crazy expensive and you have to shop smart. If there is an Asian supermarket near you, check it out! prices on meat and produce are typically pretty good there (and rice and noodles are super cheap)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My tips:

Grow as much of your own as you can. If at all possible, get heirloom seeds, and save some of the seeds each season, and you'll be set for life.

Buy generics whenever possible. And check out the store brands, as some stores have multiple brands. For example, HEB has three different store brands: Hill Country Fair, HEB, and Central Market (this one is organic). While the Central Market brand is a little more expensive, since it's organic, it is still less expensive than brand names (for example, Central Market organic milk is about $3 less than Horizon).

Buy locally produced food as much as possible. 90-95% of the cost of food is in transportation. Which makes sense, since the average meal travels 1500 miles before it gets eaten. Local food, even if it's just with in your own state, is generally less expensive.

Buy seasonally. When it comes to fresh produce, buy what is in season, as it will be much cheaper. Where I live, there's about a $2 difference in the cost of strawberries between winter and summer. Also, produce that is in season will be more nutritious, as it has not been frozen or picked early and allowed to ripen in storage.

Agreed. We think a lot alike.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have found eating a little ealthier is a little more expensive, but not THAT much! I spend about that per month on EVERYthing.... groceries, diapers, toiletries,everything, for a family of four. I don't know how you're managing to spend that much for just one person.

If it were just me (no kids, husband), I would stick to bulk packages of chicken, lots of eggs, yogurt, fresh vegetables and fruit (a LOT of those) etc. Currently, I do all my meat shopping ahead of time, only buying what's marked down and then putting it in the freezer right away. I then plan my meals around the meat (and whatever else I got a good deal on) and fill in the rest with fresh vegetables, fruits, etc.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Food prices will continue to rise...rapidly. Thanks, China.

Actually, it's not China.

It's the fact that only 1% of US residents are actually farmers. The rest are factory farms. In fact, the job 'farmer' is not even listed on the US Census any longer. The government does not subsidize any fruit or veggie crops (they do however subsidize mono crops like corn and soy (used in processed food, and to feed animals grains they cannot digest (cows can't digest grain, hence the antibiotics).

China does not have ANYTHING to do with the sad, sad state of US farming or lack thereof.

Did you know that currently there's not enough fruit and veggie growers in the US to currently feed the residents so that they *meet* the USDA food pyramid?

First, the food pyramid is a joke. That aside, I understand. That's why we are having food shipped in from other countries. It's the governments fault and dates way way back. Now, it's just such a mess, with Con Agra in the back pockets of the government. Anyways, this is a topic for another thread, and potentially many documentaries.

Yeah, I know the food pyramid is a joke.

I'm just stating that's why we're not seeing the real cost of food (meat, junk food) because of the subsidized corn and soy. Fruit and veggies (organic as well as commercial) are the price that they really are without the government stepping in.

**I also don't believe the topic is for another forum. Last I checked we were discussing the price of food. In particular healthy food. So, if you want to eat meat that's only factory farmed and junk food you can do pretty well (quantity wise) due to the government subsidies.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live alone and I buy mostly healthy food. I have noticed the price goes up when you eat healthier and even I feel like I am spending too much but I maybe spend 300 a month.. what are the most pricey items on your list?
  • stampinmama
    stampinmama Posts: 30
    Options

Also canned vegetables are another alternative, just watch the sodium. I buy canned diced tomatoes (Walmart) and it is the NO salt added kind, I also buy my blackbeans canned (Mrs. Grimes, from Walmart) NO salt added. I buy my kidney (Mrs. Grimes, from Walmart) and chili beans (Mrs. Grimes, from Walmart) in cans too, both are NO salt added.

Just be careful.... I recently decided to buy some "no salt" frozen peas from walmart... then when I got home, the ingredients list: peas, sodium........ummmm last time I checked sodium is salt.... I called and complained! Their response was.... it's a perservative.... ummmm yeah... but the front says "NO SALT"
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I spent $600 on groceries last month. For one person. Admittedly, it's not like I've eaten everything I bought - there's still some salmon in the freezer and pantry staples that will last me a few months. But holy hell. I probably ate $50 worth of Greek Yogurt alone this month.

Seriously, I can't afford to spend this much on food each month. There must be a less expensive way to eat clean and healthy.

Advice?

There must be a less expensive way to eat clean and healthy.

There IS! And when you STOP following someone else's "prescription" you Will get there...in your Wellness. Wt loss and Expenses. You gotta go through THIS to see that the GURUS are NOT, you wil learn to KNOW yourself and needs and what WORKS for YOU, Financially and Health-Wise.

Just a Note: I look at PBS Often. I listen to the Health People they have on, I watch the Food shows about organic foods...I like to know stuff but THEN I REASON and Synthesize what has been put out there...MOST of it is UNREASONABLE, doesn't work, and is useless...Just plain Useless!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    especially if its sugar free or non fat, in fact if any thing is sugar free like that, it contains high fructose corn syrup and other thing sto make up for it, which block the receptors in your brain that tell you, you are full. Causing weight GAIN.

Possibly, you didn't read carefully. I purchase unflavored, plain, regular yogurt. There's no corn syrup in it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't know if most city folk know when things are in season. I've only been learning recently, and I'm 47 years old. I started growing things, and have been slowly learning about the seasonality of fresh produce. But, before that, I never paid attention. Mainly, I think, because I can buy everything all year around, so it's difficult to know when corn is in season, as an example.

And by the way, I don't have a garden, I grow in pots on my patio. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can grow that way.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    try to google your local stores and 'coupons' or 'savings' for websites that help you match coupons to ads. For example I use iheartpublix.com and iheartsavingmoney.com totallytarget.com - I consider it to be a part time job. I put some time into the coupons and I get paid in savings, but I really understand if you can't do it timewise.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My local farmer's market has very reasonable prices on produce. It doesn't last as long as the stuff in the stores, but it's grown in a more sustainable way and I'm supporting my community- bonus.

I also had a co-worker tell me about a CSA- community shared agriculture. You pay for 6 months at a time, but basically it works out to a HUGE basket of produce (plenty for 2-3) for about $15 a week.

Main thing to keep your produce costs down is buy what's in season.

I've also found that for ethnic or specialty foods those items are cheaper at their respective markets- i.e., egg noodles are way cheaper at the asian market than Safeway,whereas tortillas, chiles, etc. are all better priced at the Mexican market.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I went to Whole Foods last weekend to buy some No Hormone/No Antibiotics beef and chicken. The cheapest beef I could find was $14 a pound, and the chicken was $8 a pound. Obviously, I walked out without any meat.

Either you pay for it now in quality food costs, or you pay for it later in medical bills.

Oh my gosh! My hubby says that to me all the time.. including this morning when I was hesitating on spending almost 12$ on two loaves of low GI sprouted bread
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Buy from Costco, the Farmers Markets, buy on sale- Safeway often has buy one, get one free of Jennie-O turkey breast. Try 'bountiful baskets' ... it's a great co-op and really cheap!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Possibly, you didn't read carefully. I purchase unflavored, plain, regular yogurt. There's no corn syrup in it.

Which people typically don't read before they post.

+1 for plain, regular greek yogurt.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies aren't good for you, especially canned tomatoes.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe that. Eating healthier caused me to SAVE money on groceries. WHAT are you buying? are you making smart decisions? Usually fresh and natural foods are cheaper than the processed junk ones.

True!

Compare the price of a bag of potatoes, to a bag of tater tots!

I also cook big meals, (the the pressure cooker rocks!)
    and I always have leftovers. It works out to be cheaper
    in the end. Now most fruits and veggies are in season,
    so they're much cheaper than usual. Yes, being able
    to have a garden helps!
  • Onesnap
    Options

I went to Whole Foods last weekend to buy some No Hormone/No Antibiotics beef and chicken. The cheapest beef I could find was $14 a pound, and the chicken was $8 a pound. Obviously, I walked out without any meat.

Either you pay for it now in quality food costs, or you pay for it later in medical bills.

Oh my gosh! My hubby says that to me all the time.. including this morning when I was hesitating on spending almost 12$ on two loaves of low GI sprouted bread

Well you can always bake your own bread. What's the saying..."buy the butter, bake the bread."

I also don't buy $12 bread but we do splurge on good food in my house. I'm known to buy a $12 salad once in a while if it's good local ingredients. Homemade cheese and local veggies, and grains.