Bowflex?

Options
Hello everyone,

I am looking to start doing heavy lifting... I am short on cash for a monthly gym membership but was wondering if anyone out there has gotten good results by buying a bowflex for a home gym. It wouldnt be the latest new one but I have not heard much about them.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Replies

• kingvan
    kingvan Posts: 9
    Options
    I bought the Classic Bowflex a few years ago and loved it. Was under $1000, bull body workout, etc. I was using it a ton until I got into P90X. If you haven't done that yet, it would definitely be a better investment because of the weight training workouts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting <
    > bowflex
    heavy lifting = power rack with olympic weight set.

(in other words, get the power rack. Do squats. Chin ups. Pull ups. Deadlifts. Bench Press. That sort of thing.)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I bought the Classic Bowflex a few years ago and loved it. Was under $1000, bull body workout, etc. I was using it a ton until I got into P90X. If you haven't done that yet, it would definitely be a better investment because of the weight training workouts.

it's summer. get outside. you can get a better workout at a playground.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think the Bowflex is pretty expensive (especially if you're looking to use it to save money in place of a gym membership) and not very versatile. You can work out pretty much any part of your body using a pair of dumbbells. I added weight-bearing exercises to my routine about 4 weeks ago. I started with 5 lbs, moved up to 10 lbs (although I still use the 5 lbs for some pilates arm exercises), and now I am looking into getting a pair of the adjustable ones to add weight like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Fitness-Adjustable-Dumbbell--Pounds/dp/B000MVKU98/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338312677&sr=8-2

IMO, investing in an expensive bowflex you might not use/might not get a good work out from is a lot of risk for questionable return. I seriously doubt those fitness models demonstrating the bowflex got that way working out with the bowflex. :-)

Oh, and here comes the unsolicited advice part: don't be afraid of adding enough weight. I don't know if part of the reason why you thought about a bowflex was b/c you're afraid of getting "bulky," but most women will not naturally get bulky (especially if you're eating a deficit).
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Listen to dane. He always has good advice.
  • Csanchez7
    Csanchez7 Posts: 5
    Options
    free weights is always the best way because its more effective not those giant machines they advertise !
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bowflex is dumb, as are most similar home gyms. For less money you can get a bench, dumbells (esp adjustable ones), and a pull-up bar.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've owned a few Bowflex machines over the past about 10 years. I used to like them, but now I won't recommend them because I feel you can get a lot more from a handful of free weights.

Last one I owned was the extreme. I'm not strong in my upper body, but I was maxing out the thing @ stock level. Don't really consider that heavy lifting.

Once I started doing 30 Day Shred with $20 in dumbbells and seeing my cousin rocking P90x without a major investment, I took apart my Bowflex and will never waste my money on those things again.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight is free. Push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, etc. check out calisthenics on the web.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I loved my Bowflex. I lost all my baby weight by using the PowerPro. I did the 20-30 minutes a day for 3 days "Bowflex Challenge". This was 10 years ago. My husband and I absolutely saw great results. This was 10 years ago. I wish I never stopped!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

There is LOTS you can do with minimal equipment.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have an older Bowflex - my hubby wanted it. He got it from Craiglist for $100, used it twice, it became a coat rack and now lives in storage (mostly because we have no where to set it up).

If you want weights, hit walmart - they have a Gold's Gym 40-lb. Cement Weight Set for $19.99. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb.-Cement-Weight-Set/11089970).
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Extreme II SE. I like it for upper body workouts. That particular model is not set up well for doing leg workouts well.

A set of dumbbell handles and plate weights along with a large exercise ball makes for a very complete home gym. Using the ball as a bench makes you work harder because you have to work to stay stabilized. Check out a second hand sporting goods store if you have one in your area. I did that with putting together some dumbbells and got the weights for half the price of retail weights.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    I think the Bowflex is pretty expensive (especially if you're looking to use it to save money in place of a gym membership) and not very versatile. You can work out pretty much any part of your body using a pair of dumbbells. I added weight-bearing exercises to my routine about 4 weeks ago. I started with 5 lbs, moved up to 10 lbs (although I still use the 5 lbs for some pilates arm exercises), and now I am looking into getting a pair of the adjustable ones to add weight like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Fitness-Adjustable-Dumbbell--Pounds/dp/B000MVKU98/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338312677&sr=8-2

IMO, investing in an expensive bowflex you might not use/might not get a good work out from is a lot of risk for questionable return. I seriously doubt those fitness models demonstrating the bowflex got that way working out with the bowflex. :-)

Oh, and here comes the unsolicited advice part: don't be afraid of adding enough weight. I don't know if part of the reason why you thought about a bowflex was b/c you're afraid of getting "bulky," but most women will not naturally get bulky (especially if you're eating a deficit).

Thank you thats a good idea... Well, i was looking on a local clasified website and someone was selling thiers for $100 because they upgraded to the newest one. I do want to start heavy lifting but don't know much about it. I am not afraid of getting muscle just dont have much to begin with so I cant lift very much as my strength rises.

Thanks for the advice everyone I think I will wait on it especially since we dont have much room to store it either.
  • rwilley35
    rwilley35 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have used a bowflex before and seen great results. In my opinion anything that gets you motivated and training is worth it. If you can pick one up for cheap then why not.

Personally I like it because I have very bad knees and I can focus on upperbody/core. Sure you can do many exercises with out the machine but there are some you can not. I lost the software program I had to set up workout and if I could find it again I would be estactic.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i got the power block, i think it's more compact than blowflex. i haven't used bowflex but i heard that poweblock is easier in terms of weight adjustment. but i think powerblock is more expensive. do exploring with poweblock first, see which one works well for you.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have it hardly use it. I dont like how i have to take 1 to 2 minute to adjust the entire machine to do the next exercise. I get the same results from free weights push ups, pull ups, etc. I would get rid of it but the hubby likes it as decoration i think. He used it last year and did the 3 days a week workout they have and dropped 25 lbs in 2 months. He hasnt gotten bulked up or anything with it. I wish lol
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You will get results from it if you use it, I have Bowflex Revolution, I love it , I also like my free weights for when I dont feel like adjusting between exercises.....My husband uses it plus barbells , dumbells because it doesnt have enough weight on it for him , If you use it right you WILL achieve whatever results you want mine goes up to 180 lb. We bought ours on Ebay for 1,300.00 ,3 yrs. ago.
    You could look around on getting a good bench, barbell, dumbells, and some weight of course. I like my booty band and my stability ball too. It is nice to have a bowflex because I dont need a gym membership to workout with weights, I have 4 kids so it works for me
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    I got a BowFlex Extreme last June and have used it every week 3 times a week and love it.