SPINACH?!?

Options
curvykim78
curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
So I finally tried some Spinach last week...and I actually liked it. I've put it in my tossed salads and used it in my lunch wraps. What else do you make with it? If you have a good recipe, can you please share it with me? Thank you and good luck! :)

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I buy baby spinach and put it in everything from scrambled eggs to smoothies. Love it!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I've heard of others using it in smoothies as well. I haven't tried them yet.
  • Sunpoet
    Sunpoet Posts: 67
    Options
    Like megtsmom2 I try to put spinach in everything. I love making frittatas with a bit of potato, grilled onion, lots of chopped spinach and just a sprinkle of cheese. I use 1 part whole egg to 1 part egg whites in the base mixture to help cut down the cholesterol.

I will also stick blend a cup full of spinach into my homemade pasta or pizza sauce.
    I also chop a bit up and put into home made salsa.

Honestly, you can get pretty creative with spinach, it's extremely flexible.
  • cgordon86
    cgordon86 Posts: 12
    Options
    Since I am allergic to iceburg lettuce, I use spinach for anything you use lettuce for! I steam it and add it to my rice, I eat it raw as a side, I use it for everything.....it is great. I do not use canned spinach, but I like frozen and fresh spinach. I used it in a breakfast casserole too and that was great.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I throw it in with pasta, I LOVE it in omelets, add it to stir fry, throw it in smoothies .... it's a great nutrition booster.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    A recently made a grilled cheese sandwich on wheat bread with spinach and tomato. It gave it a nice crunch and was very yummy!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    with egg white and feta for an omelette
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I also use it mainly in salads and wraps.

If you use it in a smoothie just add some darker berries like black or blue to keep it from looking like a swamp :) I was skeptical but you really can not taste it in a smoothie.

I also make the spinach rollatini or lasagna wraps from skinnytaste
  • Number35
    Number35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a super yummy spinach salad that I have almost everyday for lunch!

Its just about 3 cups of organic baby spinach,
    one 4 oz. cup of light yogurt,
    and about a T of craisins!!

It sounds a little wierd, but it's suprisingly good. I can't get enough!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I also use it mainly in salads and wraps.

If you use it in a smoothie just add some darker berries like black or blue to keep it from looking like a swamp :) I was skeptical but you really can not taste it in a smoothie.

I also make the spinach rollatini or lasagna wraps from skinnytaste

LMAO @ looking like a swamp!! :)
  • Mubb
    Mubb Posts: 90
    Options
    I really like to cook it in a deep pan with a little extra virgin olive oil. Shred. Up a little Munster cheese and let it melt in.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love spinach too and use it all the time. Mostly raw, but if i cook it i think it needs to be chopped up because it tends to get a little hard to cut with your teeth once cooked.

I toss it in the bowl then put whatever i want to eat on top, including tuna salad, scrambled eggs, or i make sloppy joes with ground chicken and toss it on top instead of on a bun. That's really yummy.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Sounds interesting.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with a bit of olive oil and garlic. :)
  • kittykattiger
    Options
    I put a whole bag of spinach into a blender, with a carrot, blueberries, and an apple, dash of semi-skimmed milk, and crushed ice. It tastes so sweet, you would never know there was so much spinach in there. An it's also so so filling. I have two glasses for breakfast and find I don't need to eat for hours afterwards. Plus it banishes my sweet cravings!
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My favorite sautee some mince garlic, and onion first, wash spinach, don't dry it too much, just shake out the water, then put in the pan. Add a little bit of cream cheese or laughing cow and season with salt and pepper. Since it condenses so much, you get like 4 cups raw in under a cup. Tastes like creamed spinach.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    if you use it in a smoothie do you have to cook it? or put it in raw?
  • MidnightRadio
    MidnightRadio Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Spinach is one of my favourite foods. I'll put it in anything

1-steam it then drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice
    2-add it to scrambled eggs or an omlette
    3-mix it into hot tomato sauce with a bit of ricotta to eat with past
    4-cook it up (steamed or sauteed) then put it in a crepe with cheese and heat it up
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    I include spinach in my eggs with feta cheese and scramble it all. YUMMY YUM YUM!