SPINACH?!?

Options

Replies

• gemaudlin
    gemaudlin Posts: 81
    Options
    I wrap my chicken breasts in spinach or stuff them with spinach and feta cheese. It's amazing :)
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use baby spinach a lot. Many times for salads, but it can also be wilted down or frozen spinach used in recipes. I've used it for Chicken Florentine Crepes. It's great in Vegetarian Lasagna and other pastase. You can also add it to eggs for omelets or scrambles. Good luck!!
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Okay this thread is making my mouth water!

I add it to just about anything but my favourite is in an omelette with onion and red peppers yum!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hot Chickpeas With Spinach & Bacon

1 Rasher Lean Back Bacon
    1 Thinly Sliced Garlic Clove
    1 Tbsp Wine Vinegar
    2-3 Tbsp Canned Chickpeas, drained and washed
    ½ Bag Baby Leaf Spinach

Directions:
    1.Cut the bacon rasher into shreds and cook in a hot non-stick pan with the garlic clove. Stir in the wine vinegar and chickpeas. Toss in the baby leaf spinach, stirring until wilted. Season if you want to, then serve hot.

Notes: 97 kcalories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 9g, fat 3 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 2g, salt 1.54 g
  • cc7315
    cc7315 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    if you use it in a smoothie do you have to cook it? or put it in raw?

just throw it in raw...about a cup or so. You can't even taste it~
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I put it on/in everything.
    I put it in my chilli, fried rice, pasta sauces. You name it it'll be in there. :)
  • sara1215
    sara1215 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if you use it in a smoothie do you have to cook it? or put it in raw?

I put it in raw. Used it in a smoothie this morning with green grapes and kiwi. You can't taste it at all.
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    I like to sautee it in a little olive oil (because there is that Popeye connection, naturally) and add it to my breakfast sandwich (egg, morningstar farms sausage patty or ham slice, and Thomas lite english muffin)

I also stir it into stir frys, soup, pasta, etc. If you take frozen meal for lunch you can up the nutrition by bringing a baggie of raw baby spinach and then stirring it in to your heated meal - it wilts and tastes yummy.

Also, try sauteeing some chopped leek or garlic in olive oil and then add the spinach for a yummy side dish. I go for just wilted, not mushy.
  • cc7315
    cc7315 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I finally tried some Spinach last week...and I actually liked it. I've put it in my tossed salads and used it in my lunch wraps. What else do you make with it? If you have a good recipe, can you please share it with me? Thank you and good luck! :)

I also blanch fresh spinach that's about to go bad, and freeze for other cooking, like in casseroles and pasta dishes.
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a Green Monster everyday for breakfast!!! 1 c almond milk (or milk of your choice), 2 big handfuls of spinach, 1 banana, 1 scoop of protein powder (I use vegan RAW powder) and 1-2 tbsp of chia seeds (optional). Blend, blend, blend!! I also add PB2 (powdered peanut butter with most of the fat removed_delish ) once and a while or mint extract. To increase the volume and to make it colder I add about 5 ice cubes.

I also sautee spinach with a little coconut oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Or stir it in with pasta. It really can go in almost everything!!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I use spinach for everything - especially in lieu of lettuce. That way I get more bang for my buck (in terms of vitamins and minerals)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Spinach is one of my favourite foods. I'll put it in anything

1-steam it then drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice
    2-add it to scrambled eggs or an omlette
    3-mix it into hot tomato sauce with a bit of ricotta to eat with past
    4-cook it up (steamed or sauteed) then put it in a crepe with cheese and heat it up

^^^ THIS ^^^
    I do #1-3 on this list all the time. I'll have to try #4 now, lol.
    I also use it in place of lettuce on sandwiches. Another favorite.. saute it up with a bit of choped onion, garlic, mushrooms and then use that mixture, along with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and stuff it in chicken breasts, pork chops, or tilapia/flounder fillets.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'll take some suggestions for spinach recipes that kids love too! I just bought tons of it on sale, and no one else in the house wants to eat it =(
  • luvs2pugs
    luvs2pugs Posts: 52
    Options
    When I think of spinach I think of all the trouble I had getting my son to eat it. I found that if you add it to a tomato-based product, like speghetti (sp?) sauce, you can't even taste it! Seriously!! I put it in my sauce and told my 5 year old that it was just a new spice and that it wasn't any "green" stuff. He ate it all up. Try it.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Just fresh baby spinach sauteed down with a little bit of olive oil and some fresh garlic... SOO good!

Or put it on your sandwich.

Or, after you cook it, add a little ff cream cheese .. yum!
  • bktibbetts
    bktibbetts Posts: 140
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but plan to since it sounds so good - drizzle with olive oil and add herbs you like - bake till crisp - taking the place of potato chips.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with a bit of olive oil and garlic. :)

this over Grilled chicken or I stuff it insides whooooop!

and spinach omelets!
  • Lyanasonni
    Lyanasonni Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't know if you like guacamole (not everyone's thing, that's for sure!) but if you do, there's a ton of good recipes out there for spinach-guacamole dip; with/without onions, etc. It's good for flavoring up a lot of foods.
  • lilv711
    lilv711 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/skinny-green-monster-smoothie.html

Delicious smoothie recipe tha contains spinach! You taste the banana and peanut butter more than anything. Just remember to peel the banana then freeze it otherwise it's a pain.
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There is a great Spinach Burger recipe on here!