Treadmill or Outdoor running

DeeSR9c
DeeSR9c Posts: 2 Member
Are there any differences in physical degree of difficulty between running on a treadmill vs running outside???

Replies

• theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Running outdoors is definitely more physically demanding with hills, wind resistance, etc... But you can simulate to some degree outdoors running by raising the incline on the treadmill to 1%. Read this on a RW message board and tried it out. Seems to help.
  • ben_running
    ben_running Posts: 48
    Mentally, the dreadmill kills me. Much rather be outside in the heat, cold, rain or snow than the glorified hamster wheel... but that doesn't really answer the question, does it?
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    I so prefer to run outside...its definitely more of a challenge...plus I get very bored on the treadmill.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,340 Member
    The treadmill assists a little in the run, as you don't have to physically propel yourself along as much as you do outside.
    The treadmill absorbs a portion of the impact that you would otherwise feel outside.
    The treadmill does the pacing for you. Outside you need to develop pacing on your own.
    The treadmill doesn't account for weather, obstacles, subtle changes in road tilt and pitch.
    The treadmill doesn't develop the core muscles as much as outside running does. (See previous point)

However, having said that, you can obviously still get in a terrific workout just by changing speeds and incline. I would try to get off the t'mill as soon as possible though.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    I run on the treadmill with my music playing and my fan blowing on me. Use a fan because treadmill is in a corner of my garage. This morn I used the incline to 2%. I feel like I couldn't have gotten any better workout outside. I' m tired from the calorie burn. I also feel safer on my treadmill since I' m not a spring chicken! :-)
  • I read in Runner's World about 15 years ago (so old info) that you need to increase your incline to 2% to simulate running outdoors, because the treadmill DOES help you! Good question!

Also for people with knee problems this helps as well!
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    I was a treadmill runner for years, but signing up for my first 5k forced me to take my runs outside. It was a little shocking how much more difficult it was! Like a previous poster said, there are a lot of factors that increase difficulty like heat/cold, wind, hills, uneven ground, learning to pace yourself, ect.

All of that being said, a few runs outside and my body seemed to adjust quickly. Now I cringe when I have to use the treadmill...outdoor running is my favorite. It seems more rewarding to me because I can physically see the distance I've completed. Good luck! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The biggest differences are uneven terrain (especially if you are not running on pavement), wind resistance, and the fact that most treadmills are powered so you don't use as much force to propel yourself forward. My daughter recently completed the C25k program on a treadmill and then found she had to back up and repeat the last few weeks when she switched to outside running because she had trouble finding a good pace without the treadmill setting it for her.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    I was a treadmill runner for years, but signing up for my first 5k forced me to take my runs outside. It was a little shocking how much more difficult it was! Like a previous poster said, there are a lot of factors that increase difficulty like heat/cold, wind, hills, uneven ground, learning to pace yourself, ect.

All of that being said, a few runs outside and my body seemed to adjust quickly. Now I cringe when I have to use the treadmill...outdoor running is my favorite. It seems more rewarding to me because I can physically see the distance I've completed. Good luck! :)

all good answers, but this one stuck out because of the second part. my body adjusted quickly and now running on the treadmill seems foreign to me. i don't like how it feels like my legs are being pulled back by the treadmill. it just doesn't feel natural anymore.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    I have been running on the treadmill but hope to run outdoors/marathons by the end of the year. I envy people who run outdoors :)
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 129 Member
    Im a outdoor runner for sure! I love the fact that you can switch up your running workout just by running a different route. Ive got 5 different places i run so its nice to choose if i want to run on a hilly course today or run with a ton of people at the park. Im never bored and get a awesome workout no matter where i go!
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    I've always developed shinsplints from outdoor running, plus I have a bad knee, so I stick to the treadmill.
  • inzkeeper
    inzkeeper Posts: 23
    I enjoy my treadmill, now that I have this set up that I copied from this picture! I bought both desk and treadmill used for less than $500.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fancy-Ikea-Treadmill-Desk/

I find an hr slips away doing email and fb and surfing. I have to slow it right down to really work/type, but I can spend a long time without being bored!
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    I like running outside if it's a paced run to prepare for a race or something....I use the treadmill for my HIIT training so I'm done in about 30 mins which alleviates the boredom factor.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!