Some guidance please!

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
Okay, so you all know I am looking for a job. I had an interview on Monday at a construction company. I interviewed with the owner. He explained to me that he is not a clock watcher and doesn't mind giving an hour here and there as long as it's not abused. He also explained to me that the person that is in the position right now doesn't know she is being replaced. He said she is being replaced because while she can do the accounting work she just doesn't fit in personally. That is all he said.

So today I called to find out if he had made a decision yet and to let him know that I was still interested in the job.
Well, SHE answered the phone and said he wasn't there and asked if she could tell him what I was calling in reference to. I told her that I had spoke with him on Monday and he would know why I was calling. Then she asked if it was about the bookkeeping position. So I figure she knows the scoop. I gave her my name and number and asked her to have him call me back.

Well then about 10 minutes later SHE calls me back to warn me that I don't want to work there. She said he is horrible and doesn't like for you to have a life outside of work and that you are not allowed to joke around with the other workers, only he is allowed to do that. She also said she had been fired and rehired and fired and rehired. She said that he will tell you to do things and then forget that he said it and never admit when he is wrong. She asked me not to tell him about our conversation. I asked her how long she had been there and she said 2 years. She also said she now has ulcers from working there. I have seen bosses like this before myself.

So I called him later and he was very dry and just said that he hadn't made a decision and he would call me when he did. He didn't sound friendly like in our interview but when he first called he sounded really dry on the phone.

Should I take the job if it's offered or should I heade her advice? Should I tell him that she called me?
What would you do????

Keep in mind, I really need a job and I am totally qualified.

Please help!!!!

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no harm in giving the job a try. She may be telling the truth about the guy, but then again, you may get along great with him.
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    Don't tell him what she said. She probally felt that you had the right to know what your were getting into before putting too much devotion into getting the possible CRUDDY job! As for taking the job or not, I WOULD! The person who told you about that said she had been fired and rehired a lot...so if she took the job back that many times it obviously wasn't too terrible. Give it a few week trial and if you decide you would like to work elsewhere just secretly start looking elsewhere until you find something to replace that job!
  • sneetch
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Interesting thread. Difficult position to be in. I too have worked this kind of person before ..... more than once actually! I'm from New Zealand and employment law is pretty strict here. Is it possible to fire someone for not 'fitting in' in the US? Over here, you pretty much can't fire a person unless they have done something really bad, like steal from you.
    Anyway, I suppose that the advice of a soon to be disgruntled ex-employee would have to be take with a grain of salt.
    Good luck if you decide to go for it!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    To me.. This would be a no brainer.
    You need a job and your qualified. - Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

Few things that come to mind.
    - Maybe she can't handle the job as much, and you will do a better job than her.
    - Maybe you will fit in with the boss better and other workers.

- Is everything she saying true?
    - She might be frightening you away from "Her job".. She mentioned that she has been fired and re-hired twice? (what person/company does that?)
    - She might be scared of losing her job "again". She doesn't work she won't get any $$$$

- You will never know what doors could open up for you.

- The boss. Perhaps when you called him back, it was bad timing, for many reasons, something happened and you called just after.

(You had already called back and talked to him, but if you didn't, or perhaps later on )
    I would mention to him that you phoned and talked to her, asking for him, and that she mentioned if you were calling about the bookkeeping job.(Thought she didn't know), and see how he reacts.
    (Don't go into the details. for all we know she was giving you some warnings)

Jobs are scarce everywhere.
    You need the money, you need the job.
    Check it out, after a while you don't like it.
    Leave.
    Good luck!!
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would take the job and if it doesn't work out then look for other work.( especially if you really need a job)
    I wouldn't tell him that you spoke to her, just stay out of it.
    If the job was so bad she was getting ulcers why is she still there, there are always two sides to every story, I always try to make judgements from my own experience and give people a fair go even though it gets me into trouble sometimes.
    Goodluck with any decision you make.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have been in the workforce for over 35 years, as both an employee and a business owner. This situation has "minefield" written all over it.

There are enough red flags to excite an arena full of bulls.:

A boss who doesn't have enough sense to give you a private number or personal cell phone number to be in touch with him in order to avoid any chance of you encountering the situation you found yourself in when you called the office.

A person on the inside who has basically warned you off.

A potential boss who sounds like a "Jekyll and Hyde" character.

All I can tell you, I dealt with some real flakes in the years before I operated a business with a spouse. In every case, whenever I didn't trust my first instinct, which was to run the other way, I always lived to regret it, and kicked myself for having wasted my time.

I know times are tough and there are a lot of people out there in dire straits pounding the pavement, but you have to ask yourself, is any job worth your mental and physical health?

Also, if you take this job and immediately start looking for another one, the strategy may backfire, as those potential employers may consider you a "job - hopper."

The above is only my opinion. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.!!:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    She may be lying... she may not. I mean, if you knew you were being fired the minute someone qualified walked in the door, wouldn't you do everything to try and keep your job? So the info from her is not reliable, IMO. Then again, she may be telling the truth, so you are prepared for it ahead of time. If he tells you to do something and then forgets it, take notes of what you are told to do and when you were told (time and date) to CYA. She also might be a total flake who talks to fairies and sees mythical creatures... you just never know. Last year I met a few people who "talk to aliens" on a regular basis. From looking at them, you'd never realize they're pretty nuts... but once they open their mouths and start talking, you're like backing away, smiling... too scared to turn your back to them and run!

Unless you have the luxury of waiting to find the perfect job, and if you need it, take it. If you can wait another six months - twelve months before you "need" to find a job, then you have the option of waiting. But in this economy, we don't get to pick and choose like we used to when it comes to our jobs versus eating and having someplace to live!

If you take the job, be nice, be professional... but don't dump your personal life into the job. Don't be distant, just be wary and keep your head down. That's impossible for some people, they are too social, whereas I would love to work where I can just do the work and not have all that socializing/gossiping going on! LOL
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they have had a personal relationship? that went bad?
  • Veronica320
    Options
    I would give the job a shot. Think about this: if she hated the job so much, why didn't she just quit? Sounds to me like she is bitter and just trying to sabbotage you. I wouldn't listen to the advice of someone about to be fired.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Take the job. If it is as bad as she says, you can give notice and quit. Right now, a job is a job.

Reminds me of the ex-girlfriend calling up the new girlfriend to warn her how awful the boyfriend is. Isn't really about caring for the new girl, as much as being hateful towards the ex.
  • memaw66
    Options
    Texas is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be let go and they don't have to give you a reason.
    I still havent heard back from him so maybe I didn't get the job and don't have to worry about the call from HER.

Do you think I should call him again tomorrow? When I talked to him he said "I haven't made a decision, when I do I will call you" Would it be too pushy or nagging to call him again? I don't have an email address for him, otherwise I would just shoot him an email.

Hmmmmmmmmm decisons, decisions!!

Memaw
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Texas is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be let go and they don't have to give you a reason.
    I still havent heard back from him so maybe I didn't get the job and don't have to worry about the call from HER.

Do you think I should call him again tomorrow? When I talked to him he said "I haven't made a decision, when I do I will call you" Would it be too pushy or nagging to call him again? I don't have an email address for him, otherwise I would just shoot him an email.

Hmmmmmmmmm decisons, decisions!!

Memaw

IMO, sure call back.. Shows him that you are interested in his decision.
    I wouldn't think it's being too pushy or nagging, your showing interest.
    Now that depends on the timing, if he said I'll call you in a few days, don't call the next day.
    But in a few days if he hasn't called, sure call him..
    (Remember he has that position filled at the moment, so it's not like he needs someone yesterday).
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So Memaw66...what happened with the job?? Just curious.
  • memaw66
    Options
    This guy never called me back but I got a job at a much more professional place. Thanks for checking.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    This guy never called me back but I got a job at a much more professional place. Thanks for checking.

Glad to hear that good news!!! :flowerforyou: