Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I need some advice from all the lifters!!! Pwease.

Aprill42
Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
So, I just ordered the NROLFW book, but I want to get started now!! I know I have to still read the book, so is there something I can get started on now to calm my excited nerves? I just want to get started already!

Also, anyone have any reviews and accomplishments with this book??? Or with lifting period. Any specific schedule you go by that you'd like to share? Any advice I will lalalove!!!

I want that lifting body..yeaaaaaaah.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I just finished stage 1 of the book. To prepare, you could probably start by watching videos & reading tips on proper form for squats & deadlifts. And set your MFP food macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

There's also a group of users following (or contemplating) this plan, if you'd like to join it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    I'm going to have my 12th workout from NROLFW tonight after work. I LOVE the progress so far. I stalled on my weight loss for a bit, but I lost inches. My advice to get started is to go explore your gym's weight room and get comfortable in it. I was a little intimidated at first, but now I'm a ton more confident.

I devised my own workout tracking system... it's very high tech... it's a small notebook. :tongue: I just knew that I would lose the loose papers once I downloaded the sheet from the NROLFW website. I use 1 page per workout and I can easily flip back and see my previous weights and notes. TAKE LOTS OF NOTES! Is one really hard or kind of easy? Do you think you should do more weight next time or just work on your form. I keep the notebook in my gym bag so it's beat up already but doing it's job just fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Understand how to breathe correctly and learn form without weights first. This is a great way to start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Get someone who knows how to move some iron and have them SHOW YOU how to lift and keep good form, especially on squats and deads. Have them show you and have them watch you do it multiple times!

Then LIFT, my Pretty!! LIFT!!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    I'd recommend asking an experienced friend or personal trainer to demonstrate proper form for weight lifting. You don't want to get injured and have that slow your progress.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Understand how to breathe correctly
    Good grief I didn't know I had to be worried about my breathing!?! What are the pitfalls? Can you provide some pointers?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    The first stage contains squats and deadlifts. Do you know how to do them? Start there. Youtube is your friend.
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    You are all awesome. Thanks...Im really looking forward to this little journey I might be taking..lol
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Understand how to breathe correctly
    Good grief I didn't know I had to be worried about my breathing!?! What are the pitfalls? Can you provide some pointers?

Niner is very right with the form and breathing. Learning how to control your breathing can help you get through reps better and not breathing well can you lead you to failure faster.