SMOKERS!

For all of you who smoke and are worried that you will gain weight by quiting...I just wanted to let you know that I have been smoke free now for 10 days and have lost 6.7 pounds in the past 10 days! I can already walk more, and all I have to do is put in some sugar free gum in during a craving...YOU can do it too!!!

Replies

• wow, thats realy great and inspiring. may your progress continue. :smile:
  • Congratulations!!! I'm so glad you decided to quit. I hope you inspire others to do the same. :smile:
  • valengcha
    valengcha Posts: 5 Member
    Is there anything wrong with being a smoker and wanting to get fit? I don't really see a contradiction. I mean it's not like my lungs will explode if I get on a treadmill. Hmm.
  • AdreaC
    AdreaC Posts: 34 Member
    No, they won't explode, but whats the point of getting physically fit (outside) and worseing your health (insides). "I have a good idea! I'll lose weight so I won't have heart problems, but I'll die of lung cancer, or spend my years on oxygen cause I got COPD!!" good idea genious! :drinker:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Is there anything wrong with being a smoker and wanting to get fit? I don't really see a contradiction. I mean it's not like my lungs will explode if I get on a treadmill. Hmm.
    Sometimes we can only make one lifestyle change at a time. So the fact that you are wanting to improve your fitness is a big deal. Work on that for a time, with a goal set sometime in the future to show yourself even more appreciation by cutting back and eventually cutting out cigarettes. The more fit you get and healthier you get, you'll probably find that you want to take it to the next level, and cutting out cigarettes will be the next step. Make it a new year's resolution maybe?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    For all of you who smoke and are worried that you will gain weight by quiting...I just wanted to let you know that I have been smoke free now for 10 days and have lost 6.7 pounds in the past 10 days! I can already walk more, and all I have to do is put in some sugar free gum in during a craving...YOU can do it too!!!
    YOU ARE AWESOME! Keep it up.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    I see this as your profile qoute......"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. ~Edward Stanley"
    ....let me tell you if you dont find the time to quit smoking.....later on it will lead to illness. I work in a hospital, and its so sad to see young people with COPD, blood clots, lung cancer, throat cancer, emphysema, heart failure....ect.
    No your lungs will not explode, but lets hope that you dont have a blood clot hanging around that decides to travel to your lungs on that tredmill. Pulmonary embolism can be life-threatening.
    Not that im saying that healhy non smokers can't get any of these condidtions.....BUT smoking dramatically increases the chances.

*****smoke free for three years*******:bigsmile:
  • kaja
    kaja Posts: 145 Member
    well done for quitting. it is a very difficult thing to do.
    I still smoke at the moment as i can only cope with one change at a time.
    I will be quiting next year but i only have enough will power to do one thing and the weight loss was a priority. When i am in a better and more positive frame of mind i WILL concentrate on becoming healthier in every way.
  • Congrats! I quit smoking a year ago. I have feel off the wagon an smoked one here or there but I have never purchased then or started up again full time. It is hard but it is definitely worth it. I always thought I didn't have the will power but it was there. Although I did gain weight about 20 lbs but I'm getting on track now and theres only in the up direction to go!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Valengcha - no, your lungs won't explode. By all means, smoke if you like to smoke, and exercise if that's what you want - any kind of fitness is better than none at all. However, just know that smoking severely limits access to peak success in fitness by restricting oxygen flow to the muscles working to get you fit. If your muscles (including your heart muscle and your diaphragm)can't 'breathe' they can't improve. When you smoke, it drains your body of the nutrients you're working so hard to deliver through good food choices. Smoking pretty much offsets every 'good health' effort you make.

Congratulations to all you QUITTERS out there. A decision you will NEVER regret.!!!!
  • Awesome job quitting smoking! :flowerforyou: It took my husband years to quit and he feels like it's one of the best decisions he's made! (He is awesome, after all!:love: )

His decision to quit came with our children praying during our family prayer time that he would quit smoking. It was also confirmed when the bottoms of his feet got numb during our taekwondo classes:frown: . It scared him :noway: and our instructor (who is also a heart doctor) told him, after examination, that he believed it had to do with the smoking and that, after a little time the nerves would get feeling back again and be okay. Now his feet are fine! :happy: . That was a huge motivating factor for him to stay away from them!

Keep up the good work!! You can do it!

:flowerforyou:
  • Berna
    Berna Posts: 23
    Being an ex-smoker of 7+ years and living with a smoker (who smokes about a pack a day) I say to all of you Please leave Valengcha and his choice to smoke alone. I am sure he is well aware of the detriments of smoking (you would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to). Instead, let him discover himself the benefits, both health wise and socially of not smoking. Sometimes we ex-smokers get on a soap box and insist everyone else should quit, well maybe they just aren't ready and to quit would make things intolerable for them. As ex-smokers we did not quit until we were ready and anybody preaching to us made us dig our heels in even more. So, let him smoke and be happy with his choice, after all it is himself he is hurting.

As for everyone else who has quit and is going through the weight loss thing....WOOOOHOOOO...!!!!! Well done on all of us!!! Power to the progressors!
  • Is there anything wrong with being a smoker and wanting to get fit? I don't really see a contradiction. I mean it's not like my lungs will explode if I get on a treadmill. Hmm.

NOTE:

I said for anyone who wants to quit....

and I loved to smoke...the only reason I quit was so I can live a longer healthier life and be a good example for my boy!

It really pisses me off how someone can post something and there is always someone who tries turning it around...C'mon people!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Congrats for quitting! I chose to quit over a year ago because I wanted to be a runner and I just couldn't do that and be a smoker. My lungs couldn't take being on the treadmill :sick:

You should be proud of yourself :flowerforyou: