Healthiest Cooking Oil

Options
Which cooking oil has the least calories or is generally healthier?

Replies

• RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump? I'm about to go shopping so this would be useful. :laugh:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    They all have the same calories: 110-120 cals per tablespoon (they are pure fat, and fat has 7 calories per gram).

As for which is healthiest, that's kind of up for debate. Some say olive, some say canola, some say coconut oil. I use primarily coconut oil these days if it's going to be cooked, olive if it's going to be consumed in its room temperature state.

For (a lot) more info:
    http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/02/cooking-oil-comparison-chart/
  • eva_lawlor
    eva_lawlor Posts: 81
    Options
    coconut or grapefruit(: but grapefruit is kinda expensive
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I use primarily coconut oil these days if it's going to be cooked, olive if it's going to be consumed in its room temperature state.

Same here. If I'm going to stir-fry something that requires just a little heat or a warm-up (or a splash of flavor for something already heated up), it's olive oil. If I need something COOKED, I use coconut oil because it can take the heat without breaking down.
  • changing_for_good
    changing_for_good Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As far as calories go they are all about the same. I use olive oil.

I've also cut out a lot of oil...for instance I make hamburger patties (with 93/7 meat) and spray the pan down with Pam cooking spray. When it seems to be getting dry and sticking I add water. So much healthier than tons of oil and they taste the same :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you asked just about any medical professional this question, the answer is usually going to be extra virgin olive oil. I sometimes use other oils, but 99% of what I eat that gets cooked in any type of fat is cooked in olive oil. It's healthy and realtively inexpensive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As far as calories go they are all about the same. I use olive oil.

I've also cut out a lot of oil...for instance I make hamburger patties (with 93/7 meat) and spray the pan down with Pam cooking spray. When it seems to be getting dry and sticking I add water. So much healthier than tons of oil and they taste the same :)

If you like onions, a good way to moisten up low fat ground meats is to shred an onion into it. It adds a lot of moisture.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I work for the state, and I am taking advantage of their health coach. we just discussed that today, he told me. Coconut oil. I use olive oil. So... I have some coconut oil Ill give it a try......
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to give coconut oil a try. :D
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    rapeseed oil is healthiest
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    rapeseed oil is healthiest