Questions about running a half marathon

Options
1) I ususally run 5-7 times a week. When should I officially start training if the marathon is in sept. and how should I do it?

2) What is the average decent time? Right now I can do 8km in 50 mins (so I can do a half marathon in just under 2.5 hours).

3) What is the best way to remove a wedgie when running with so many other people?

Replies

• ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would get online and start researching different training programs! I am personally using the Hal Higdon Beginners Half Marathon training program. I am loving it thus far - I'll let you know in 3 weeks how much I still love it (or don't!)

I have no idea on time. My goal is to a)finish my half and b) finish in under 2.5 hours.

I'd be curious about the wedgie thing...I am wanting shorts that don't promote 'chub rub'
  • teachthal
    teachthal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. I usually use training plans from Hal Higdon. I would say to find one that is at least 12 weeks, since this is your first half. If you just google "1/2 marathon training plan" you will find many; pick one that works for your lifestyle and schedule.

2. Decent time is however long it takes YOU to finish. Remember, you're still lapping all the people who are still in bed!

3. I don't wear underwear when I run. Find some good shorts/pants that are seamless and run in them several times before the big race.

You might want to invest in a product called body glide if you are prone to chafing. It has saved my life on many half marathons!

Happy running!
  • Mcrogol
    Mcrogol Posts: 5
    Options
    I've had great success with Hal Higdon as well. I like running with a Nike Thetis skirt...no one sees your wedgie! I wear a thong when I run cuz I hate the wedgie feeling.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1) I ususally run 5-7 times a week. When should I officially start training if the marathon is in sept. and how should I do it?

How many km per week are you running right now? You should probably be looking at starting your training plan very soon as May is as good as done which leaves you 3 months to prepare.
    2) What is the average decent time? Right now I can do 8km in 50 mins (so I can do a half marathon in just under 2.5 hours).

Times vary considerably as there's a big difference between running 8km and 21.1 I ran my 3rd half marathon last Sunday and finished in 2:14:47 (I'm 56 and have been running for a little over 4 years now) Personally I wouldn't;t worry too much about your finishing time for your first half - consider it more of a training run. Make sure you don't go out too fast, ideally you'll run a negative split (faster 2nd half than first)
    3) What is the best way to remove a wedgie when running with so many other people?

Discretely! :laugh: :laugh: Actually, runners are notoriously unselfconscious about this kind of stuff you'll hear all sorts of gaseous emissions, see runny noses etc etc during a race, fixing a wedgie is hardly shocking behaviour . I might, however, suggest using compression shorts under your running shorts which will avoid this problem completely.

Have fun, crossing that finish line after running more than 20km is a glorious feeling that you'll never forget. You'll be tired, you'll be sore & you'll feel fantastic!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I've had great success with Hal Higdon as well. I like running with a Nike Thetis skirt...no one sees your wedgie! I wear a thong when I run cuz I hate the wedgie feeling.

A little OT, I just picked his marathon training book as I'm toying with the idea of 26.2 next year (I think I'll skip the thing though :laugh: )
  • sherrykwilk
    sherrykwilk Posts: 12
    Options
    Hal Higdon has a good program so does Jeff Galloway if you want to incorporate walk breaks. Remember to train by the 10% rule meaning don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week. Also remember its not all about upping the mileage. Its best to increase, go back, then go back up again until you reach the goal. The first half marathon is about FINISHING not about time. I have done 18 of them...can no longer! Best of luck to you!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When people say it's about "finishing" and not the time... does this mean not dying along the way or not stopping to walk or not leaving the track?
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options

How many km per week are you running right now? You should probably be looking at starting your training plan very soon as May is as good as done which leaves you 3 months to prepare.

I am running 8km 5-6 days a week. Soo00Ooo let's say 40km/week! Should I try to get a better time on those 8km or run a further distance?

Thanks for the advice btw. Good to know wedgies are no problemo. Still looking for a solution regarding that issue in general :glasses:
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    images65-3.jpg
  • bunnyrach
    bunnyrach Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm running a half marathon in September too! I just completed my first 10k in 1 hour and 5, looking to do the half marathon in an hour and a half. Right now I can run 13k, so hopinh to just add an extra kilometre every week. I'm not sure that's the best way of doing it but it worked for my 10k. Finding it crazy how quickly my fitness levels have picked up.

I do loads of different training - I finjd just running a bit boring so I tend to do classes like zumba, boxfit and body pump as well as a 5k run a few days a week to keep me sane.

Good luck with your training!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half in November, and I am doing this program:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244-258-13700-0,00.html

It's a 10 week program with goal of finishing in under 2 hours, but I already run quite a bit and am training for triathlons right now. Runner's World has other training plans as well, and you'll find free ones if you google.

Don't worry about wedgies from a discretion standpoint, only worry if uncomfortable and chafing. I use lulu lemon "Run:Speed Short" for every single run - no chafing, no wedgies, no rubbing, they are expensive but fantastic and last for a loooong time. Runners and bikers are NOT discrete. You will see people stop by the side to go to the bathroom, blow snot rockets, pick wedgies, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

I am running 8km 5-6 days a week. Soo00Ooo let's say 40km/week! Should I try to get a better time on those 8km or run a further distance?

Thanks for the advice btw. Good to know wedgies are no problemo. Still looking for a solution regarding that issue in general :glasses:

If you're already doing 40km per week you're in a good position to start adding some longer runs once a week (I'd focus on that rather than worrying too much about speed this time around). I haven't got my training plan in front of me but off the top of my head you'd be doing a couple of 8km runs (say Tues & Thurs) 5km on Saturday and 9 0r 10 on Sunday (adding about a km per Sunday run until you hit 18km (I cheated and ran 21.1 on one of my Sunday runs just for fun about 3 weeks before the race)

There are lots of great training plans available. Personally I like the ones that have you running 4 x weekly and cross training on non-running days.

Wedgie solution......compression shorts (like under armour) under your running shorts.
  • Mcrogol
    Mcrogol Posts: 5
    Options
    When people say it's about "finishing" and not the time... does this mean not dying along the way or not stopping to walk or not leaving the track?

I can't say it was ever about finishing for me...It's about my time. I enjoy completing with myself and try to beat my previous half's time on the next race. I'm down to 2 hours 10 min. Set a goal for yourself that is realistic yet challenging for you and go for it. Hal Higdon's race training will help you a lot - he has several options for half-marathons. You want to give yourself enough weeks to go from your current mileage to about 12 -13 mi. by increasing your long run 1 mile each week. Sorry - I can't do the KM conversion!
  • lsorensen130
    lsorensen130 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in March 2011. I didn't train for it but would run 3-4 times a week for up to 5 miles. It wasn't until I was at the Start line that I learned about the "sweepers" that we're going to pick us up out of the canyon if we didn't run out of it in a specific amount of time. That was all the motivation I needed. I was NOT going to be picked up by the sweepers! I finished in 2 hrs and 33 minutes. Since then I've ran 2 more half marathons (last one was last weekend!) and my PR is now 2 hrs and 28 minutes. After reading the others posts, I"m thinking I should also try this Hal Higdon approach! As far as the wedgie thing, I just don't wear underwear when I run. Good luck to you!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half marathon in September too! I just completed my first 10k in 1 hour and 5, looking to do the half marathon in an hour and a half. Right now I can run 13k, so hopinh to just add an extra kilometre every week. I'm not sure that's the best way of doing it but it worked for my 10k. Finding it crazy how quickly my fitness levels have picked up.

I do loads of different training - I finjd just running a bit boring so I tend to do classes like zumba, boxfit and body pump as well as a 5k run a few days a week to keep me sane.

Um...what?

Those are two completely different paces. Not to sound mean, but shooting for a goal of 90 min HM when you ran a 65 min 10K is way overstretching.

FYI: A half marathon is 13.1 Miles not K
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have a good base already, finishing will be no problem once the race gets here. Keep up your 5-6 days of running, but as you long runs increase in distance it's probably best to keep you "regular" runs nice and easy. Maybe take one day week and do 5K a little quicker, but you don;t have to get crazy. Just adding volume will increase your speed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Like already mentioned, I think your distances are off. I can run a 46 minute 10k, and there is no chance at all of me running a 90 minute half.