Can hormones or thyroid cause you to not loss weight.

Options
I have been working out for six weeks straight and I have my food under control. I can not seem to lose any weight since I started six weeks ago. I work out 5 days a week 4 days strength training and 5 days of cardio. Has anyone had this problem. Would love feed back.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. So can not eating enough... perhaps a combination? If you're working out that much, I'd say (by looking at your diary) that you may not be eating enough. But yes, hormones and thyroid can negatively impact weight loss.
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you join the group eat more weigh less. i agree with the above poster, you may not be eating enough calories. You have to eat no less than your BMR and no more than your tdee. You can calculate those at fitnessfrog.com or just google it.

Now about thyroid, i am actually going to get mine checked out soon, And if i have any info about it I'll let you know. But yes, if you have hypothyroid it causes weight gain, and since you're doing exercise that often you may not have weight gain, but just no weight loss. I have the same problem/theories as you!
    hope this helps you.
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for six weeks straight and I have my food under control. I can not seem to lose any weight since I started six weeks ago. I work out 5 days a week 4 days strength training and 5 days of cardio. Has anyone had this problem. Would love feed back.

Hi,
    I reviewed you diary, you average on 1000 calories, while you train like an athlete preparing a competition.
    I think both your hormones and thyroid are good, way more than the intakes :-)
    I don't know neither your weight nor your size, but given your age, and supposing you really enjoy that level of training, target at least 1600 calories
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it take a few weeks for the weight to start dropping. Happens with me. Also, try taking 3-4 days rest and eat well. That might help too. I noticed with myself that when I didn't work out 2 days a week and ate about 1500 cals, I lost more weight and inches. There're more symptoms of hypothyroidism than just failure to lose weight. If you have any other symptoms or a combination of symptoms like constipation, feel sluggish all the time, feel sleepy all the time, are losing hair, feel cold a lot or have a low heart rate, by all means have yourself checked for it. If not, try alternating exercise with rest days and up your calorie intake. Maybe that will help.
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It can, especially if you have hypothyroidism. Also stress can make it tougher as well.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone here can help me. I have epilepsy, take 4 seizure meds (no, that amount's not a typo) daily, am 34 in age, currently weigh in at 242.2 pounds, and I can't seem to get my weight to go down past 241.2 pounds, where I was last week. I am taking a multivitamin daily, exercise daily for 20 - 25 minutes depending on the exercise I do, but my epilepsy leaves me a lttle housebound due to its severity. I can't go anywhere on my own outside the house unless it's to a friend's place. If I eat a little on the bad side the previous day, I'll do what I can to make up for it the next. My food diary is open to the public for viewing so anyone can see what I've eaten today (so far) and give me their thoughts. I don't know if I could have a problem with hormones or if I've just plateaued, but I'd like a little help to get that weight moving again!!! :happy:

Thanks for all your help.