I need guidance and help.

Options
Hey guys, long time lurker, not much of a poster... until now.

I am looking for genuine help, guidance, experience and suggestions. Warning, I'm guessing this will be long.

I started on my weight loss journey in October of 2011. I joined Medifast/Take Shape For Life with much enthusiasm. I had 4 family members who had done/were doing the program and saw their great success. So it didn't take much convincing for me to start the program.

I started at 182.4 and over the course of a few months I got down to 149 (my lowest). I did great up until the new year when I started to fall out of love with the program. I was experiencing some unpleasant side effects including light headedness, dizzy spells, constipation, digestion problems, gas, my hair was falling out etc. But the program was working... Well I started "cheating" because I was SO sick of their limited food options (and yes they have a huge variety for sure but everything tasted like the soy and eventually I strayed... so I'd stray, get back on plan, experience the side effects, stray again... Well over the course of on off on off on off I got back up to 161 (12lb gain). Last week I got back on again and told myself it was for good... except that every time I went to eat my MF meal I'd burst into tears because I didn't want to do it. Finally my husband sat me down and told me to stop torturing myself. Quit the program and find something else.

So here I am.

The desire to lose weight is as strong as it was when I first started months ago.

So my husband suggested I try Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem.

Now I've been on these boars as a reader long enough to know that you guys are just going to tell me to use MFP and count calories... which is great but I need more then that, for right now.

I am a busy Mom of a 1 and 3 year old and work out of the home and I need some structure... which was one of the appeals to me for Medifast. I didn't have to *think* about food except for once a day. I also figured it would help reset my addictions to food, etc.

Anyway I like the thought of Weight Watchers because I can eat my own foods, I like the accountability of weigh in's and the support of meetings (that's important to me). The downside is that I would be scared that I wouldn't plan well enough to be successful... that on a whim I'd whip through the drive through and eat something bad.

I like the idea of Jenny Craig/Nutrisystem because it has a bigger variety of foods that MF does not have, that I can grab a meal and go and not have to really think about it, etc.

I am ok with spending some money, as I've already been spending $350/mo on MF foods as it is. I've got that money as part of my budget anyway.

Here are my reserves: I still have probably $300 worth of medifast foods left, the 3-5lb a week weight loss is great. I'd be at my goal in 3ish months if I could just get over the foods and limited options for the lean and green meal.

The thoughts of a 1-2lb a week loss maximum is very discouraging to me (with any plan: JC, NS or WW).

But the downside of MF is I can't really work out. At least with the other plans I could incorporate the type and level of exercising that I want (and need).

Now I know you guys are going to tell me just to count calories which is exactly what the other progams are... I understand that, but I like the structure of how WW works with the points. It ensures that I am getting the right balance of calories, fat, carbs etc

I honestly am trying to decide between JC and WW... they're the top of my list.

A side question: If you've done WW or JC and work out pretty heavily (say p90x/Insanity/etc) do you eat back your calories? I know WW give you extra points based on whether or not you exercise.... have you seen a difference in your weight loss if you eat back the calories?

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OK, so here is the problem with most "diet" plans including weight watchers. Many of them have you under eating fairly significantly. Even weight watchers starts mot people at 1200 calories and then you should back your exercise points, but still doesn't equate to where you should (in my experience). My bigger question is, if you are doing P90X or Insanity or CLX why not just follow their meal guides? The food is good and the calories are better. Most have you start around 1800 calories + which is where a very active young women should be at. Yes, you will have to prepare meals but you will get the results. Also, any program that doesn't promote exercise is a joke and will lead to muscle loss as we as fat loss (probably 50/50). When you lose lean body mass, you slow your metabolism which makes gaining weight back easier (as already demonstrated).

My suggestion, don't do any diet, just follow the beachbody protocol.
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OK, so here is the problem with most "diet" plans including weight watchers. Many of them have you under eating fairly significantly. Even weight watchers starts mot people at 1200 calories and then you should back your exercise points, but still doesn't equate to where you should (in my experience). My bigger question is, if you are doing P90X or Insanity or CLX why not just follow their meal guides? The food is good and the calories are better. Most have you start around 1800 calories + which is where a very active young women should be at. Yes, you will have to prepare meals but you will get the results. Also, any program that doesn't promote exercise is a joke and will lead to muscle loss as we as fat loss (probably 50/50). When you lose lean body mass, you slow your metabolism which makes gaining weight back easier (as already demonstrated).

Well I'm not looking to start beachbody right at the moment. My goal right now is to do the 30 day shred and start yoga (3x/week for 7 weeks).

I guess I just need easy right now... structure.

But even with MFP it has me starting at 1200 calories, so how is that any different then WW?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well I'm not looking to start beachbody right at the moment. My goal right now is to do the 30 day shred and start yoga (3x/week for 7 weeks).

But even with MFP it has me starting at 1200 calories, so how is that any different then WW?

You might be over extending you goal. Since you don't have much to lose, you should be at 1 lb per week. Also, the 1200 calories doesn't include exercise and probably doesn't have you set at lightly active. And since you are a stay at home mother, you are active during the day. So you really should be set at lightly active and 1 lb per week and should eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

Now with 30DS, you may not see great results. It's heavy in cardio and no so much with resistance training (like a P90X or CLX) which is where you would see the biggest results. Strength training or resistance training will lead to greater fat loss.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    No diets, exercise and count calories. It's not what you want to hear, but tough luck. No more excuses, just try it.
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No diets, exercise and count calories. It's not what you want to hear, but tough luck. No more excuses, just try it.
    Right which is why I think weight watchers is a viable option. It's still counting calories but it's done on a point system which for ME is very easy to understand and follow. I'm not sure I see what the problem with that is? Clearly I'm open to calorie counting and exercising, I'm just trying to find the route which will allow me to be successful.
  • xosmsox
    Options

You might be over extending you goal. Since you don't have much to lose, you should be at 1 lb per week. Also, the 1200 calories doesn't include exercise and probably doesn't have you set at lightly active. And since you are a stay at home mother, you are active during the day. So you really should be set at lightly active and 1 lb per week and should eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

Now with 30DS, you may not see great results. It's heavy in cardio and no so much with resistance training (like a P90X or CLX) which is where you would see the biggest results. Strength training or resistance training will lead to greater fat loss.
    ^this! Lift some weights! My body TRANSFORMED weight training. Break out of your comfort zone, I think you'll be so happy you did
  • xosmsox
    Options
    Right which is why I think weight watchers is a viable option. It's still counting calories but it's done on a point system which for ME is very easy to understand and follow. I'm not sure I see what the problem with that is? Clearly I'm open to calorie counting and exercising, I'm just trying to find the route which will allow me to be successful.
    I'm curious as to why you think counting points will be easier than counting calories? Do you have mfp phone app? It makes counting calories effortless! You can scan barcodes, look up a variety of foods in the huge database, and save your favorite meals and their nutritional content. I understand weight watchers is pretty popular, but I think accountability and structure, in the end, comes from within yourself, no program gives it to you. You lost those 20lbs thanks to YOU not a program (: you're powerful and in control of your destiny
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jenny Craig in Australia. I've made it work for me. I'm on the 1673 calorie plan (we work in kilojules, hence the funky number) and I'm staying on that. I've always done my own breakfast and I eat back my exercise calories. I've been doing NROLFW with that.

IMO WW is just a way of making you pay to count calories. But they change it every do often so you have to keep buying from them. If you can work out points you can work out calories.
  • JanineAlexis
    JanineAlexis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest problem you are going to face isn't the weight loss, it's going to be MAINTAINING it once you lose it. If you are going for "structure" and a plan that comes from outside of yourself, you're not going to be able to sustain it in the long term. You really need to just do the meal planning and stay focused on your own plan and what your goals are.

I don't doubt you would lose weight with WW or JC but I HIGHLY doubt you would be able to keep it off at all.

Just stock your house with healthy stuff and that way if you do go crazy and need something right away, there's something healthy to grab! I'm also married and I have a 3 year old son and having nothing but healthy, nutiritous food is good for all of us, not just me.

Also, I've never heard of the Medi diet thing you were doing but if your hair was falling out that is a HUGE sign that you were seriously malnourished and I'm glad you chose not to continue with that plan.

The key is really just to eat smaller portions of healthier food and move your body more. Make it a lifestyle change and you'll be happy and successful for the rest of your life!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Now I know you guys are going to tell me just to count calories which is exactly what the other progams are... I understand that, but I like the structure of how WW works with the points. It ensures that I am getting the right balance of calories, fat, carbs etc

I know very little about WW or any other plan, and I guess I am missing something about why those diet helpers are a good idea. Are you talking about a brand of pre-made foods? Or a cookbook, or something else?

If it's the support group, I TOTALLY get that. I wouldn't personally pay for that, but I get that it's a big motivator for some people.

If it's about finding the right balance of macronutrients, I get that from MFP. I set them custom and then I do a combination of planning and then reviewing during the day, "Oops, too much carbs, leave room for a protien shake," etc. But I'm already a pretty healthy eater and decent cook so that's no big problem for me.

I think... sorry if this sounds rude... but if you keep letting the plans do all the work, I'm not sure you'll be able to maintain the weight loss when you get bored. Because you'll probably get bored of the food in the next plan you try, too. If you're going to support groups, you might get bored of those people or tired of them. The solutions and tools to lose weight are out there, but if the DOING doesn't come from within you I'm not sure it will last.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have not done either but many people I know have had much success with WW. Good luck to you with whatever you choose!
  • sbrewer82973
    Options
    i did try ww before i did like it and still use there calucator from time to time what i liked about the program is it was real food and u could talk to ppl going through the same situation u didn't put the weight on over nite and it will not come off over nite. i have found it is calories in calories out i don't like the ideal of only eating certain things cuse i'm not home alot following calories let u be in charge what u do or don't eat
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't know what will work for you - WW is a great program and you can transition easily from WW to counting straight calories on MFP if you want once you get used to it.

BUT you mentioned you sat down to eat a medifast meal and burst into tears? Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you might have some deeper emotional attachments to food that are going to hinder any efforts you make. You will need to take care of before you will be successful on any program. I haven't eaten medifast, but if you told me I could eat crickets for two weeks and have six pack abs I would be out in the field with a jar in about thirty seconds. No tears would be involved!

Good luck
  • lilcmac22
    lilcmac22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I read your question and thought it over during my run today because for some reason, your challenge stayed with me. You are going to find many people who will tell you to count calories ect, instead of drawing your line at WW & JC, like it seems you have done. Not saying that it is not the same for you (disclaimer :) ), because I do not know your personal intentions, but for many people this is not a way just simply to lose the weight but it is a literal lifestyle change. It is more about the journey of how you get there then just reaching the goal and getting there. Like Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia Clothing) said, "How you climb a mountain is more important than reaching the top." It is ultimately more important for long term success knowing how to put healthy meals on the table than getting to your goal weight by any means possible.
    Speaking to your parenting side, HBO did a show on obesity and they said if your child was born after 2000 they have a 1 in 3 chance of being not only overweight- but obese. Depending on what part of the states you live in it increases to 1 in 2 and the risk increases also if you have a parent(s) who struggles with weight. I would thinking knowing these factors would drive any parent to want to teach their children how to cook, eat, and live a healthy lifestyle.
    Many times WW & JC will work to simply lose the weight. Then what happens? You know you can lose the weight because you did it before but what can you do to lose the weight and maintain it for the rest of your life? What program can you use to teach your children how to be healthy and maintain a healthy weight? The discipline they see and the structure they see is going to come from you and your spouse, so that is something you are going to have to work out. I do, though, think you will find the extra effort in using MFP and looking at not just your calories, but all your totals is worth the effort for you and your family. Hope it helps!