All fruits good for you?

Options
tlafrance
tlafrance Posts: 106 Member
Can someone answer this please? You always hear eat your fruits and vegetables. My main question is regarding bananas. I notice it is a little high in sugar and calories depending on the banana size. Is it considered a bad fruit?

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No fruits are bad but some are more nutrient dense for the amount of sugar or calories within them.

Bananas fall to the bottom of my preferred fruit list due to the higher calories/natural sugars but I do still eat them as you are better to include as much variety as possible.

High on my list are fresh berries, fresh apricots etc. Generally fruits with a higher water content are better than bananas.
  • tlafrance
    tlafrance Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So what do you think about strawberries, pineapple, mangos, and kiwi? I try to have 1 -2 fruits a day. I always end up with a banana..
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't think any fruit is 'bad', but yes, a banana is higher in carbs/sugar/cals than blackberries or blueberries :)
    I happen to like bananas but I usually have one (or half a banana is it's a big one) post-workout only.

They aren't my favorite fruit anyways, so it doesn't bother me.
  • Steph007ess
    Steph007ess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Remember the riper the nana the higher the sugar content so just eat them before the get little brown specks on them.
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was just watching Dr Oz and bananas was on his list of superfoods for fighting breast cancer!
  • nessat18
    nessat18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas occasionally but not very often helps with charlie horses because of the potasium but I did notcie how high in calories they are and now I am just fresh in season fruit hopping...lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I cant digest most fruits because they are extremely high in carbohydrates. There is a small select list of low-glycemic fruits I can have, but even then its still limited...

I avoid Bananas like the plague otherwise my insulin spikes really high with them