I don't understand the "I'm not gonna log it" mentality

Options

Replies

• rhalse
    rhalse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I admit, I have been bad about not logging my food. I wish MPF had more incentive for doing it. You get props for logging in for every 5 days in a row, but you don't get it for logging your food. I know its only yourself you are hurting by not doing it, but I still think it would be nice to get the props deserved for doing it.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I record it. I'm more concerned with a weekly average than I am with a daily count, so if I go over a day or two, even severely over, I want to account for it.
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I log it

"if it goes in the mouth it gets logged"

sometimes I put a note with it like "drink the water fool"
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    at about 10pm last night while catching up on some game of thrones, i had a cheesecake drop.
    it's basically about a tblsp of cheesecake filling, dipped in chocolate, and refrigerated.
    it was only 100cals, but my thought was sheesh...how sad...eating a treat at 10pm...i'll just sweep that under the carpet.

but then it dawned on me...**** that...i ate it, i need to be accountable for it.

logged.

if you;re gonna hide the bad ****, then just dont log anything. you want kudos for the salad you ate, but scared of the "tsk tsk" for the nachos?...be accountable for all of it.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't log bc I don't restrict calories, but even when i have watched calories in the past, I've noticed that I have zero trouble lying to myself, lol.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The problem with NOT logging is simple - it leads to a "this is a lost day I might as well eat this other food" mentality.

Your body does not follow an arbitrary 24-hour clock, and there isn't some magic reset button that will purge excess calories eaten after you stop keeping count (well, there is, but it's called an eating disorder, the reset button is located in the back of your throat, and it's a really bad thing to do).

If you eat it, it's in your best interest to log it. That way, you don't turn a minor mishap into a complete disaster by engaging mister "well, if I eat the WHOLE CHOCOLATE CAKE and chase it down with a gallon of ice cream before midnight, I technically don't have to log it today."

As long as you don't develop that mentality, though, you're fine. I went to a pot luck for my local farmshare this weekend, and ate probably more than I should. I didn't track any of it because there were a lot of things I couldn't possibly track anyway - inventive homemade stuff. I concentrated on enjoying what I ate and focusing on things that were made from healthier looking ingredients (not a problem from a bunch of people interested in a farmshare - everything was from scratch and looked made from healthy ingredients). HOWEVER, I also said to myself "this meal will be all I eat today, and when I get home I will drink only water for the rest of the day, and I did not pig out at the last second to "make the most of my splurge while it was over". I thoroughly enjoyed small helpings of everything, and went back for modest seconds or thirds of a few things, then had a plate of delicious homemade desserts.

Next day, I was down a pound.

Go figure.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I ate it, i own up to it (even if i got to make my diary private for a few days lol)
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I always log everything. After a huge cheat/binge, it's hard to look at the numbers but I still like to hold myself accountable.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log all of it unless I'm on vacation and can't remember what I ate. That way, I average out the week and if I'm averaging 1600 per day and exercising an average of 400 - I will lose weight even if I have two spluge meals (not days) per week.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't log bc I don't restrict calories, but even when i have watched calories in the past, I've noticed that I have zero trouble lying to myself, lol.

Not to sound rude, but why do you have a weight loss ticker if you're not trying to restrict calories or track your food. What is your goal? Why are you using MFP?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I always log it. Sometimes I think I've done really bad, and it will turn out I was only 200 calories over. Other days I think I'm doing pretty good, and I'm more than 500 over. I'm still learning about portion size and nutrient density, and the more I log the more I learn.

Bottom line is you have to be accountable to your actions if you want to lose weight and keep it off. Admit to yourself your diet indiscretions, but don't feel guilty over them. Once you log it you can start to see what your triggers are (i.e. nighttime over eating) and then learn to fix them!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Even if you have an awful day and you feel guilty about it, you should log it anyway so you can see how your whole week looks - chances are if you are doing well the rest of the week you will still be running a caloric deficit for the week - so you should still be losing weight.

That ought to eliminate some of the guilt
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I log regardless if it has been a bad eating day or not. Helps me stay accountable for my mistakes and set backs. That way I know why I gained the weight back.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Agreed, ideally, everyone would log, all the time. For me to go over and not log, that's giving into my demons, and that's bad for me...that's the whole reason I'm here....but we should remember that this site is about encouragement, not criticism of others' habits.

I definitely do better when I log honestly, even when I "overeat," it's not as much as if I did it "in secret."

I used to lie to myself about being depressed, and eating was my way of "facing" and "dealing" with my problems.......I'd feel it, hate the pain, push it down and move on. <---Extremely unhealthy thing to do.

But being honest with yourself might be my demon and not so-and-so's, you know? For some people, exercising everyday might be their biggest weakness. It was never one of mine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely log on the weekends anymore. I just don't want to take the time. And I rarely log if I go out, which is usually on the weekends, because if I don't prepare it I really have no idea what was in what I ate so don't really see the point of guessing. Sometimes I'll enter whatever is on the website if it's a chain that has such information, but the likelihood of that being correct is pretty slim I think.
  • AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people-- and I will acknowledge that it's one of the reasons I've lost and then put back on the weight or stalled. After rounds of this rodeo, I've FINALLY realized that while I can lie to my brain about portion sizes and foods I don't log not counting, my body is ALWAYS counting (IT KNOW ... muahaha).

They'll learn or they won't. I don't ever want to have to lose this weight ever again, so brutal honesty with myself about how much I'm eating and learning from that is going to be key.

Take care everyone!

Wow this is exactly the epiphany I had two days ago. I realized that I was pretty much stalled since DECEMBER! So I said screw it, who am I cheating by not logging?? Only myself. I want this weight off so I have to log and be held accountable. Thanks OP, seeing it in black and white somewhere else just opened up my eyes even wider :-)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking a day off and going crazy.............it will remind you how bad you used to eat. I will take a day here and there and not log. ONE bad day will not effect you in the least, as long as you keep it to one day.

Calorie wise, you are better off eating an entire lb of m+m's in one sitting, than eating 140 extra calories of them every day...............food for thought..............a surplus of calories everyday will add weight, but you body can't possibly turn an extra 5000 calories in one day all to fat..........it will get rid of most of it.......

I haven't logged a birthday, mine or ones I have attended, or holiday in the past year, and I have been satisfied with my progress.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Denial. We all suffer from it from time to time.

Sometimes I don't feel like spending 5, 10 minutes (my system can be slow) looking up foods that may or may not be in the database, and sometimes I'm not sure of the quantity.
  • ksstei
    ksstei Posts: 13
    Options
    I was tempted yesterday not to log some food, because I went over my calorie goal, but realized the only person I'm lying to is myself, and I'm going to bear the pain of not being accountable.

LOG IT ALL!!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just can't log, because I'm eating at places that don't have nutritional info, or I'm eating what someone else has cooked, and I honestly can't see the point of picking the closest thing in the database, because they could be out by 100's so you aren't getting an accurate picture anyway. Sometimes I just feel like taking a day off from it all, without always thinking what I'm eating. However, if I have logged all day, then eat or drink extra in the evening, I generally go back and log that, even if I do it the next day.