She's trying to sabatoge me!

Options
My mother is trying to sabotage me!! We're in Florida on vacation. My kids and I came with her so I could visit with family and what not. I told her before we left that I wanted to eat as healthy as possible.

She has thus far only gone through fast food places, bought ice cream, cheesecake, and pizza! I try to make healthy choices with what options I have but it's so hard!

I'm so hurt and I really feel like she's trying to stop me from losing weight. She keeps saying "you're on vacation you're supposed to gain weight!" as she downs a bowl of icecream and cheese cake.

=/

It's so freaking frustrating!

Replies

• cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Sometimes we need to confront the ones we love, Just use "I" messages...good luck
  • ily_em
    ily_em Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you sure she's trying to sabotage YOU? It sounds just like she has a general bad attitude to food, not anything against your weight loss. Maybe you could try to encourage her to eat healthily too and explain to her the benefits :-)
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try to have a serious talk with her. Tell her this is important to you and that it should be important to her because it is what makes you happy.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    You must tell her to stop because that is not fair you must try to make her understand :happy:
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Give her a break - she is just being a grandmother and doing what the grandchildren want. I know because I am a grandmother. When I take my grandchildren to McDonald's I get the grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and it isn't bad. I also get the apple strips. Burger King as the BK Broiler which isn't bad with no mayo. You have to look a little harder but most places have something that isn't too bad for a healthy choice. If you feel this strong about it I am sure you will stay on track. Good Luck and hope you have a great vacation!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. Now when I visit less than healthy family for longer than a day or 2, I go the the grocery store and buy enough for me to either make my own simple meals or add my healthy items (roasted veg, salad, precooked chicken) to their meals. If no one wasnts to compromise with both healthy and indulgent options, than I'll take care of my meals and they can keeps their franken- foods and their opinions. ITS YOUR BODY, YOUR CHOICE!
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get that it's really hard and frustrating but at some point you have to take control of your eating. If you don't want fast food, go buy something else. Why do you have to eat where she eats? Are you at a place with a kitchen or even a fridge? You don't have to eat ice cream and cheesecake (I get it that it's harder if it's there). Just keep thinking about how bad you will feel if you regain the weight you've lost and how much better it feels to eat healthy/be thin.
    As far as what the grandchildren want, they are your children and you can say no to fast food for them too. My kids would be happy to eat ice cream and McDonald's but they are also happy to eat healthy if offered that option. Why in the world should we teach kids that such food is a treat and sabotage our own healthy eating to create unhealthy habits for them? And the idea that people should gain weight on vacation and willfully try to acheive it is why America is so overweight as a nation.
    Hang in there and good luck.
  • sarahelizabeth613
    Options
    your supposed to feel good on vacation! and i dont know anyone that will say gaining wieght on vacation makes them feel good. If your mother doesn't help you with your health on her own then maybe she doesnt understand completely how important it really is to you. Its also hard to get support if you don't show love and interest your ownself. Or maybe give her a 101 on what all the junk foods are doing to not only her but to those loved ones shes feeding it to. There are other ways to shower your family with love that doesnt involve food. (make her watch a few supersize vs superskinny episodes on youtube they do a good job of showing how too much junk really harms your insides)
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and understanding. I'm riding with her so it's hard to eat somewhere else. We drove from Iowa to Florida and didn't really stop much. So I had to eat at whatever place she chose to drive through. We had McDonalds breakfast 2 days in a row, so I just got their oatmeal.

I've told her over and over again that I want to eat healthy foods and I want to keep at my weight loss. She's been very unsupportive through my whole weight loss journey. I think she's upset because I'm doing something with my weight while she is only adding more.