Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    To buy is the only solution :)
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    BUY! I totally freaked out when my battery died. I use it multiple times daily. More so than measuring cups.
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Buy I use mine ALL the time it's really helped me to know what I'm eating I really wouldn't be without it
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Buy! You'd be surprised how often you underestimate the size of the food you are eating.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    YES. Get a digital one. You'd be surprised how inaccurate food volumes can be.

I already had one for counting carbs for my son. Now, I use it mostly to double-check calorie-dense food. (I don't always measure out 10g of steak sauce.) Your eye will get good at guessing, but you need to calibrate it!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I would buy one, I love mine. You would be surprised how much you can over estimate by guestimating. I honestly wish I could stuff my food scale in my purse and take it with me everywhere but I could imagine the looks I would get whipping it out in Applebees to measure my food lol!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's a must. I had no idea how off I was on portions sizes. This is the one I bought. I got it when it was on sale online. I went to the store to get it, since I didn't want to wait for it in the mail, and they gave me the online price. I love it. Also if you don't have the nutritional info, it has a booklet that you can punch in the code and it will tell you the weight and calorie count of what you put on it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Perfect+Portions+-+Food+Scale+with+Nutritional+Calculator+-+Silver/9902407.p?id=1218192431054&skuId=9902407&st=food scale&cp=2&lp=7
  • KendraLoveless
    Options
    I think a food scale is REALLY helpful! Our is a Salter, it is digital, and it it does oz/lbs and g/kg. Cost about 19.99 when we got it.

Your eyes can trick you, but the food scale will tell you the truth. And then, after a while you'll get a much better feel for guestimating when you are out and about without your scale.

My vote is that yes, you should buy. Good Luck!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Get one, really helps me keep track of amounts. When I'm really really hungry 12 ounces of beef suddenly looks like 3 :) Kidding but it does keep me where I need to be in food portions.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss so far. A digital food scale is the best thing I've ever invested in.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I got one for about $10 which worked, but auto shutoff on it was too quick. I purchased another one, again for about $10 (a Starfrit that was normally $30 but was on sale for $10) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/GadgetsAccessories/SpecialtyGadgets/PRDOVR~0424076P/Starfrit+5-kg.+Digital+Scale.jsp?locale=en

It is great. Even with the other scale, I would not go back to not using a scale again. Much more accurate on portion sizes.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely get one!

We use ours all the time for nearly everything we eat. It keeps our portions from "creeping" to more. :smile:
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    BUY! I totally freaked out when my battery died. I use it multiple times daily. More so than measuring cups.

haha i freaked out when mine said low and ran out to buy more!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    CollisionofNo wrote:
    I really do use it for everything though, liquids excluded.

You can use scales to measure ml if the liquid density is close to 1 g/ml. Just read the value in grams and call it ml.

Cream, milk and many common liquids have a density within 5% of 1 g/ml. If you can tolerate a 5% error, you get the simplicity of weighing milk as you add it to your cereal. For ice cream, the error is within 10%. Yogurt is somewhere between the two.
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    I use my food scale almost every day! It's so easy to do a quick measure so you know you are getting the correct portions. Good Luck!
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Buy, it is one of my favorite "fitness" products.

What the lady said. Worth every penny of the $15 I spent on mine.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy one. They aren't expensive and are very helpful.