A week and a half until my first 10k!

Options
I am not a "hardcore" runner but have been working up to jog/walking (wogging?) about seven miles a day, four days a week.

I have never participated in a formal run or race of any kind.

Today, I saw an invitation for a benefit half marathon for Wounded Warriors and they offer a 10k run as well.

Is there anything special I should know or do to prepare?

Replies

• good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    a 10K is a good fun run. I would say just go out there and run it like you would a training run and see how you do. The motivation from the crowd will give you a boost. It's also a great way to get a time down for your 1st 10k. Build from there. Most importlantly, since I am a Marine, I would say don't forget the cause you are running it for and HAVE FUN!!!!! Thanks for supporting the Veterans and God bless you!!!
  • BohemianPrep
    BohemianPrep Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of races in the past two years.

I have a blast at all of them! You'd be surprise how much better of a runner you are in a race atmosphere and you will certainly get addicted.

GOOD LUCK!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you've been run/walking 7 miles x 4 times weekly and plan on running the race at a similar pace there's probably not a lot of preparation you need to do to physically prepare.

Get your kit ready the day before the race that way you're unlikely to forget anything. If you can, pick up your race bib & timing chip (if they're using them) the day before the race. Most timing chips are held in place by your shoelaces. Find out if they're going to have water stations along the course. If they are there's probably no need to bring water with you for the race.

Get a good nights sleep ahead of the race and try to eat a light breakfast (I'm a toast & peanut butter & banana kind of guy on race day) at least a couple of hours (3 is even better) ahead of the start time. Arrive at the start early, it's not unusual for there to be lineups for the porta-potties and, if you're well hydrated, you'll want to go before the race starts.

Try to realistically estimate your finishing time and lineup for the start in the correct corral, it may take a few minutes (depending on the size of the race) to get to the starting line but your time doesn't start until you cross it. Really important - don't start out too fast. It's really easy to get caught up in the excitement of race day and start at too fast a pace.

As this is your first race relax and enjoy the experience. If you're anything like most runners I know there will be more of them in your future......
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You will love it. The whole atmosphere is electric. Warning... You'll be hooked!!!!! What seemed to help me was running longer distances than the actual race when I was training. Then on race day I'd tell myself, "you got this!!! You can run 9 mi. no problem and this is only 6mi. Piece of cake, now pick up the pace..." I don't know if this a suggested technique, but it seemed to do well for me. Most importantly, have fun and good luck!!!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

I'm stoked about participating and appreciate the information!

Have a great evening.