Shopping Around (Monitors)

Options
So, I'm in the process of trying to find something to monitor the actual calorie amount that I'm burning. I've noticed that the elliptical machine will say one thing and then when I log it on MFP, it says something totally different and larger. I also have an app on my phone called Cardio Trainer which has a different calorie burn amount as well. Can you all please give me some names of some good monitors that work and how do you like them?

Replies

• 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Polar FT7 HRM. It is recommended by a lot of members here. Just do a search and read for yourself. Polar is well known for HRMs. I got mine for $99.99 plux tax. Not bad. Plus I got the Men's instead of the ladies because of the colour. But that was my choice. Only difference is the width of the wrist strap.
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have the pyle sport that I got on amazon.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar f6...got it at sports authority, around $100.00...well worth it, easy too use..which is what i go for!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Simply put...invest a good 75 bucks and get an HRM with a chest strap and Calorie burner. Do research and make your best choices from there.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Polar FT7 HRM. It is recommended by a lot of members here. Just do a search and read for yourself. Polar is well known for HRMs. I got mine for $99.99 plux tax. Not bad. Plus I got the Men's instead of the ladies because of the colour. But that was my choice. Only difference is the width of the wrist strap.

I've been hearing a lot about the Polar HRM's! I'm looking for one too and that's what I was looking at online today.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar ft 4 :love:
    Mine was $62 with no shipping and handling at bodytronics.com

Heart Rate Monitors are the best way to go for accurate calorie burn info.
  • MrsCrystal84
    MrsCrystal84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com for $62 and I LOVE it. Now when I work out I feel more confident about the amount of calories it says I burned.

Also, get one that uses a chest strap b/c those are more accurate than the ones that rely on taking ur pulse through a watch (IMO). I had a cheap like that and the numbers it gave me were all over the place, even if I was doing the exact same workout and intensity.

Hope this helps!
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMediaFit. Best $200 I have spent in a long time. There is a $80 year fee but for the data I get I don't mind.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Bumpin this one for later :)
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I LOVE it! It is super simple to use! I love that I don't have to fool around with a thousand different buttons or setting, I programmed it, I update my weight weekly in it, and for my workouts, I put it on, press start and go! So easy!
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. Love it, and I always go by the calories on there, never the machines.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 and love it. I would buy the best Polar heart rate monitor that you can afford since the FT4, FT7, and FT40 seem to be pretty similar in price (~$80-120), but vary in features.
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4! Love mine and its so easy to use. Bought it online for about $62 or its like 93 at Target.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and love it... All the Polar's are great but I choose the FT60 because it allows you to set your V02 Max which is just one more setting to allow for a better/ more accurate calorie burn number.... Got mine off heartratemonitorusa.com with a 5% discount and it was 130 bucks...
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just purchased my first HRM over the weekend because I was concerned that I was severely over or underestimating my exercise calories. It seems that I was correct. I purchased the Polar FT4 which seemed to be simple enough for a beginner. It's easy to track the workouts and gives decent training data. I log it on MFP and on Polar's site as well.

For one particular exercise, I'd estimated a 180 calorie burn but the HRM measured it at 300. If you're eating back exercise calories, that's important. I've seen some posts that you have to subtract your BMR for the length of the workout to get the net calories burned, but I think that's getting too involved for me. I don't eat back exercise calories to the tee anyway.
  • ThickNThunda
    Options
    I recently purchased the Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com for $62 and I LOVE it. Now when I work out I feel more confident about the amount of calories it says I burned.

Also, get one that uses a chest strap b/c those are more accurate than the ones that rely on taking ur pulse through a watch (IMO). I had a cheap like that and the numbers it gave me were all over the place, even if I was doing the exact same workout and intensity.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. That does help. I appreciate it.
  • ThickNThunda
    Options
    Wow everyone. I never knew there were so many to choose from. Does anyone have any comments about a Fit Bit? I've heard a lot about them too.
  • niffer5150
    niffer5150 Posts: 10
    Options
    polar ft4 here too. i'd be lost without it. my treadmill is a big fat liar when it comes to telling me how many calories i burned. plus, now i can go outside and do stuff and still get a count.