Calories are not the same according to Dr. Fuhrman

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
According to him, eating the same amount of calories but from different foods won't have the same net result. I couldn't find it on his site but I read it on the pbs special. Because some foods are low in micronutrients and because some carb heavy foods are nutrient deficient, it promotes inflammation and other detrimental health aspects that will lead to unhealthy lives and weight gain.
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cat-healthy-food.html

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    Options

What about it? Remember from his standpoint of micronutrients, the twinkie diet would be very deficient. Plus they ate veggies in that diet also.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    According to him, eating the same amount of calories but from different foods won't have the same net result. I couldn't find it on his site but I read it on the pbs special. Because some foods are low in micronutrients and because some carb heavy foods are nutrient deficient, it promotes inflammation and other detrimental health aspects that will lead to unhealthy lives and weight gain.

And most people in the "calorie is a calorie" camp wouldn't argue that, at least I would hope they wouldn't.

Of course micronutrients matter and macronutrients absolutely effect body composition -- but calories still govern weight loss.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

And most people in the "calorie is a calorie" camp wouldn't argue that, at least I would hope they wouldn't.

Of course micronutrients matter and macronutrients absolutely effect body composition -- but calories still govern weight loss.

I think he's saying that potentially, you could not gain weight on XX micronutrient rich calories but gain on XX calories of nutrient deficient foods. Because of the negative effects of nutrient deficient foods do on the body.

I'm not saying that's the end all statement but it might explain some things when people have a hard time losing weight
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Which nutrient will specifically? Not really sure there's really anything to discuss without you locating what he actually said, word for word.
    Someone having a hard time losing weight can be due to a myriad of reasons.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I think he's saying that potentially, you could not gain weight on XX micronutrient rich calories but gain on XX calories of nutrient deficient foods. Because of the negative effects of nutrient deficient foods do on the body.

I'm not saying that's the end all statement but it might explain some things when people have a hard time losing weight

Possibly various undiagnosed intolerances vs good/bad, nutrient dense/nutrient sparse whatever foods
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    He gerneralized nutrient deficent foods into one category and classified them as "toxic". Because of that, it leads to inflammation and a myrid of diseases. One side effect not really fat gain but these "bad" foods incouraged the formation of blood vessels feeding fat cells. Where nutrient rich foods such as Kale and mushroms actually deter the formation of excess blood vessels(ie.. ones that would feed new fat cells) ie.. here as illustrated with cancer
    http://www.squidoo.com/cancerandfood
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Micronutrients will help repair and aid the body processes (ie.. help fight off cancer etc..) while the same amount of calories of nutrient deficent foods will actually incourage all the bad things we don't want happening to our bodies. ie. cancer, etc...
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's what you eat not how much you eat.
    Take a look at fathead the movie website (www.fathead-movie.com). It educates you in a funny way about how the body really works.
    Stick with what is found in nature (typically known as the paleo diet) and stay away from processed foods (of any kind) and you will see a difference not only in your weight but your mood, cognitive function and overall health.
    We've been fed a load of bologna. The medical community should know better but yet they ignore their own training and education.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'm not really and advocate of the paleo diet though. I like meat and chips. But I understand the value of those foods in terms of my health. Or at least try to.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's what you eat not how much you eat.
    Take a look at fathead the movie website (www.fathead-movie.com). It educates you in a funny way about how the body really works.
    Stick with what is found in nature (typically known as the paleo diet) and stay away from processed foods (of any kind) and you will see a difference not only in your weight but your mood, cognitive function and overall health.
    We've been fed a load of bologna. The medical community should know better but yet they ignore their own training and education.

Fathead? All that educates you about is that a caloric deficit results in weight loss regardless of what food you eat, even fast food.

So if it's what you eat and not how much, can you eat unlimited amounts of these magic foods and not gain weight, or fatloss is still governed by caloric intake?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    weight loss is calorie in, calorie out

health is determined by nutrient content

you're simply talking about two different things.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I only listen to advice from Dr. Spaceman :o)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like the theory and it makes sense. Nutritionally dense food would help you stay healthy and in return help you lose weight... I don't know more than that - it just sounds about right in my head.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    bum

Yes, that is what I see in your profile picture!

Interesting discussion. Here's my bum too.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bum

That is totally what I was thinking!! HAHA

I did the front shot :o)
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Good solid thread. Thanks OP. I have always thought there HAD to be a DIFFERENCE between eating 200 calories from chocolate cake compared to 200 calories worth of asparagus or spinach or something like that.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bum

that was suppose to be bump. I would never try to disrespect anyone like that, by saying bum.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think its all about how your body metabolizes those calories! So i'm with him...and the Twinkie diet...gross!! I would like to see someone after the twinkie diet, or the same cals. eating clean...body composition i bet would be different...ie skinny fat!!