Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What does Dr. Oz have to say about all this? :wink:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    weight loss is calorie in, calorie out

health is determined by nutrient content

you're simply talking about two different things.

Actually, the discussion is about how the quality of the calorie is intergal to not only health but weight loss (as a side benefit).
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    bum

Yes, that is what I see in your profile picture!

Interesting discussion. Here's my bum too.

that was suppose to be bump. I would never try to disrespect anyone like that, by saying bum.

We knew...it was just my funny way of bumping too. Besides, your bum IS your profile picture!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options

But your body process different foods at a different rate. I notice that my weight loss varies more depending on the foods I eat compared to the simple calorie count. I see it in my diet every day. I can go way over on my calories if I eat cooked vegetables and fruit and still lose weight. If I eat junk, my weight stays the same.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    "Calories are not the same" is like saying "muscle weighs more than fat". It is a verbal fallacy. A pound of fat=a pound a muscle. A 100 calories of fries has the same caloric value as a 100 calories of veggies.

You will lose weight eating at a deficit. You will have a different body composition if you eat healthy foods and exercise to get there. If your diet is rich in sodium and sugar you will be bloated and hold onto water weight. You will be sickly if you nothing but junk food for a prolonged period of time.

But a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Micronutrient deficiencies take a while to develop, but that issue aside, given equal calories AND macronutrients, weight loss isn't going to change assuming normal insulin function. Neither is body composition.

That doesn't mean using cake as your primary source of carbohydrate is a good idea.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    "Calories are not the same" is like saying "muscle weighs more than fat". It is a verbal fallacy. A pound of fat=a pound a muscle. A 100 calories of fries has the same caloric value as a 100 calories of veggies.

You will lose weight eating at a deficit. You will have a different body composition if you eat healthy foods and exercise to get there. If your diet is rich in sodium and sugar you will be bloated and hold onto water weight. You will be sickly if you nothing but junk food for a prolonged period of time.

Actually it's not. He mentions the exact opposite of what you are stating and that's exactly why I put this subject up for discussion. And your statements are slightly contradictory. To add, he says that eating crappy foods will cause inflammation and will cause you to have a tendency to hold onto or even gain weight. Whether is water weight, fat cells etc.. A side effect of a real crappy diet seems to be toxicity as you are alluding to. And that will hinder health number one and possibly weight number two
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Micronutrient deficiencies take a while to develop, but that issue aside, given equal calories AND macronutrients, weight loss isn't going to change assuming normal insulin function. Neither is body composition.

That doesn't mean using cake as your primary source of carbohydrate is a good idea.

But the point here is a severe lack of proper micronutrients per calorie taken in
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually it's not. He mentions the exact opposite of what you are stating and that's exactly why I put this subject up for discussion. And your statements are slightly contradictory. To add, he says that eating crappy foods will cause inflammation and will cause you to have a tendency to hold onto or even gain weight. Whether is water weight, fat cells etc.. A side effect of a real crappy diet seems to be toxicity as you are alluding to. And that will hinder health number one and possibly weight number two

A calorie is a unit of energy...
  • RaeN81
    Options
    [/quote]

That is exactly what I am pointing out.
  • banksave
    banksave Posts: 18 Member
    Options

IMO weight loss may not only be affected by calories in / calories out.... as an example eating 1700 calories of Carbs will have an entirely different effect on fat loss then say eating 1700 calories of Fats and Proteins... also... the amount of exercise will have to be thrown into that equation as well as when these calories are ingested... (are you eating thru out the day or do you eat 1700 cal just before bed :)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    You will be sickly if you nothing but junk food for a prolonged period of time.

Sickly?

I beg to differ...I've eaten fast/junk food pretty much all my life...at least 3x a week if not more. When I used to eat lunch every day...I lived on the stuff...and that was almost 20 years of my life.

I lost the second half of my 40lbs I lost in those three months...eating almost nothing but Taco Bell. My profile picture here was the end result. Perfect bloodwork, no negative health markers at my physical around the same time the picture was taken.

*shrug*
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Matt Perryman has a good take on this:
    http://www.myosynthesis.com/calories-arent-calories
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The foods represented in that unit of calorie also will have different micronutrient values that is presented in having different net effects on health directly and possibly weight secondary. Due to the toxicity effects on what that calorie of food has on your body.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

three months...eating almost nothing but Taco Bell.

Good luck with your anal rupture goals in 2012.

=)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The only real difference is accounted for by TEF. Micronutrients probably have long-term health impact, but no impact on weight/body composition that I have been able to determine.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

three months...eating almost nothing but Taco Bell.

Good luck with your anal rupture goals in 2012.

=)

Haha no kidding right?

There were reasons for that diet...not 'good' ones...but things were complicated. I do prefer to eat healthier.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

The foods represented in that unit of calorie also will have different micronutrient values that is presented in having different net effects on health directly and possibly weight secondary. Due to the toxicity effects on what that calorie of food has on your body.

If you're trying to claim that micronutrient deficiencies can negatively impact health and possibly weight loss, I'd buy that. But I still maintain that it would require a remarkably idiotic diet to get there and I'd further add that given a varied diet where the user is mindful of nutrient density and hits maronutrient sufficiency, the addition of some cake and pie isn't going to hurt.
  • RaeN81
    Options
    You will be sickly if you nothing but junk food for a prolonged period of time.

Sickly?

I beg to differ...I've eaten fast/junk food pretty much all my life...at least 3x a week if not more. When I used to eat lunch every day...I lived on the stuff...and that was almost 20 years of my life.

I lost the second half of my 40lbs I lost in those three months...eating almost nothing but Taco Bell. My profile picture here was the end result. Perfect bloodwork, no negative health markers at my physical around the same time the picture was taken.

*shrug*

That's awesome. I'll bet you exercise alot. Most people aren't so lucky, I guess I should have said most people will have an adverse effect on their health.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump