adding muscle for women-help needed

Options
Pascua_j
Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
I have met my weight loss goal through cardio, diet, one round of P90X and now Bodypump classes. I am happy with the # on the scale, but my lower body still needs more firming up and my upper body needs to be filled out. You can see the bones in my shoulders and back and I do NOT like it! I want to be a little thicker, but not fatter, ya know? The best example of a body type I like is Jamie Eason, but it would take a miracle, so that is less a goal and more just for you to have an idea of the size/ thickness I would prefer. I know weights are the key.

I have switched my calories to maintenance = 1760 and I know it needs to be protein heavy
I am doing bodypump 2-3 times a week and walking/jogging intervals 2-3 times a week for anywhere from 30 min- one hour.

1. I am looking at the 5X5 info and buying the book on TNROLFW- opinions on which is better?

2. Anyone have a suggestion for books (besides the Eat Clean series, I have them all) on the nutrition end of increasing muscle mass for women? I am a culinary arts teacher, I love to cook. This is just a whole new set of "must have" ingredients. T

3. Is the setting for gaining muscle on MFP maintenance or more or less? Nervous already about the higher # of calories...

4. Should I start the new training plan (TNROLFW or 5X5, whichever one gets the most/best votes here) AND continue bodypump as cardio, running as cardio or both? Or neither?

Just in general- help!

I would specifically book suggestions if you have them. I need to spend $13 more on Amazon for free shipping. But I would also appreciate general advice/suggestions. I thought losing the weight was going to be the most difficult, turns out it is putting on the muscle I need in order to have the shape I want. Go figure,

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I haven't really followed any specific plans exactly as they are laid out but I've heard many good things about the 5x5 program. Jamie's livefit is another one a lot of women like. When you start lifting you have to eat more in order to build muscle. I set my mfp to gaining weight a .5 pounds a week and just generally follow that. My surplus is usually 250-400. This is just my opinion since everybody trains differently but I would suggest cutting back on cardio when you start lifting seriously. If you are doing cardio, then make sure your eating enough calories to make up for that as well as creating a surplus for muscle.
    As far as the nutrition books and advice on increasing muscle mass, it mostly comes down to that surplus and making sure you are hitting your macros. I just stay away from most processed foods and make sure I'm getting enough protein, carbs, and fats but still eating the foods I like.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I haven't really followed any specific plans exactly as they are laid out but I've heard many good things about the 5x5 program. Jamie's livefit is another one a lot of women like. When you start lifting you have to eat more in order to build muscle. I set my mfp to gaining weight a .5 pounds a week and just generally follow that. My surplus is usually 250-400. This is just my opinion since everybody trains differently but I would suggest cutting back on cardio when you start lifting seriously. If you are doing cardio, then make sure your eating enough calories to make up for that as well as creating a surplus for muscle.
    As far as the nutrition books and advice on increasing muscle mass, it mostly comes down to that surplus and making sure you are hitting your macros. I just stay away from most processed foods and make sure I'm getting enough protein, carbs, and fats but still eating the foods I like.

This is great advice. I haven't followed either program myself, although I follow 5x5 for some of my lifts (but not the exact programme) From people's results on here, that would be the better option I would think.

I focused on gaining muscle myself last year for 6 months. Ideally you need to eat at a surplus as above mentioned. A smaller surplus should mean less fat gains and a greater proportion of muscle. You will gain fat in a surplus, but hopefully with the right training, sufficient protein, and not too large a surplus, a lot of it will be muscle. You could always work on getting rid of the fat later on anyway while maintaining the muscle you built (what I'm doing now)
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions!