Wanting to run a 5k, how can I get there?

Options
So here it goes... I have been working out through my local local gym going on my second year. Prior to that I was with Planet Fitness. Throught the past three year I have only lost 15 lbs. Very frustrated and have watched the diet, been to doctors, yadd ayadda yadda. I am no longer wishing to be something that is not within reach (size wise) but one thing that I want to do more than anything is run! Even at my lowest weight I have tried and I could never be successful. I need help!! If anyone out there can help get me on the the right "path" and direct me into the running world I would be soooooo thankful! The problem? Well.. shin splints! UUGGHH , I can last on an ARC trainer, I can last on an Elliptical but if you get me running it kills me everytime/. My desire to run is partly becuase I have heard it was a great way to drop the lbs not to mention the euphoria and peace one feels after hitting that 3 mile mark (so I have heard). So, with one last dig at trying to complete this task is there anyone out there that has been there and done that and have advice to spare? With many thanks!!!

Replies

• maxybaby8
    maxybaby8 Posts: 17
    Options
    try the NHS C25K its a nine week program and worth doing
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    First go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes. That should make a big difference in your shin splints. There are some stretches you can do to help with that also but you really should get shoes that work for your body.

Then - do one of the couch to 5k programs. Easing into running with run/walk intervals will also help with your shin splints as well as letting your whole body get used to running a little at a time. I was a run-hater and always got shin splints also. I finished a couch to 5k like program on January 1 and have since run 3 5ks a 10k have built my weekly long run up to 9 miles and am planning on running a couple of half marathons in the fall and winter.

Good luck!
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Use one of the C25K programs. I started this January and have done 3 5k runs since then. Well worth the time! Make sure you take it slow when starting like they say and STRETCH!!! I tried to go to fast to soon but the program really helped. When I started I could not even run the distance between street lights...and now I can do a 5k ...so it IS possible.Good Luck!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,078 Member
    Options
    If the couch to 5K doesn't work for you, I am using a program for beginning runners that can be found on the marathon training academy's website. It works better for me because I felt the amount of run time increased too quickly in the c25K and I just couldn't keep up, would get frustrated, and quit. The program I am doing is a 20 week program and has you running 30 minutes without stopping when you finish. I did it on the treadmill and am now doing it outside, on the road by my house. I had to start back at week 3 or 4 because running outside was so different from the treadmill.

I agree with the others that you need to get a good pair of running shoes and take it easy to start with. I tried running a couple of years ago and did too much too fast and wound up barely being able to walk up stairs for about 3 weeks my shin splints were so bad!

Good luck and have fun!
  • grantca05
    grantca05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks maxbaby
  • grantca05
    grantca05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. I have heard that C25K was very helpful to a lot of people wanting to start running. I will check the links mentioned and see what I can find out. Also, thanks for the advice on the shoes. I have always just bought New Balances from Sears or JcPEnny or whoever had them on sale. I always thought as long as they felt okay than the were sufficient. Maybe that is the main key to one of my problems hendering me from me progress. WE have a Fleet Feet that is close to our home but I have heard that their shoes there are off the hook. Anyone have suggestions for some really good shoes for working out?
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes. That should make a big difference in your shin splints. There are some stretches you can do to help with that also but you really should get shoes that work for your body.

Then - do one of the couch to 5k programs. Easing into running with run/walk intervals will also help with your shin splints as well as letting your whole body get used to running a little at a time. I was a run-hater and always got shin splints also. I finished a couch to 5k like program on January 1 and have since run 3 5ks a 10k have built my weekly long run up to 9 miles and am planning on running a couple of half marathons in the fall and winter.

Good luck!

This x10..

I ran in New Balance and they were good.. but I got fitted for a proper pair of shoes for my feet.. and OMG.. Orgasms while i'm running the whole time..
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    Fleet Feet is who I went to for my gait analysis....they will then recommend several types of shoes....there is no obligation to buy from them if you think they are too pricey...take the info and shop around!!

C25K does work
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love my saucony running shoes!!! Get fitted for something at Fleet Feet then look for the same shoe at different stores or online for a better deal. I got mine at Shoe Carnival for $35 and they are usually over $90!!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is useful for me too.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I couldn't run before I did Insanity. Running is EASY compared to that craziness!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I used C25k.. .and loved it. I wear Asics for running. I was fitted at Fleet Feet. They are pricey, but worth it. I Considered it an investment in my health, and I didn't ahve a gym memebrship at the time. Running was hell on my shins in the begining, until I wore the right shoes(for me, ASICS, all the way). Good luck and enjoy!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. I have heard that C25K was very helpful to a lot of people wanting to start running. I will check the links mentioned and see what I can find out. Also, thanks for the advice on the shoes. I have always just bought New Balances from Sears or JcPEnny or whoever had them on sale. I always thought as long as they felt okay than the were sufficient. Maybe that is the main key to one of my problems hendering me from me progress. WE have a Fleet Feet that is close to our home but I have heard that their shoes there are off the hook. Anyone have suggestions for some really good shoes for working out?

If you can Fleet Feet is well worth getting fitte for running shoes. Running shoes and work out shoes are two different animals and your knees will appreciate the difference, as will your feet. Asics makes a very good running shoe if you are still unable to get to your nearest Fleet Feet. I LOVE my Asics.

I loved the C25K program and have transitioned to the Bridge to 10K, never in my life did I think I would enjoy running and I am now addicted.

My biggest problem was trying to do too much too soon. Taking it slow and listening to my body, knees and ankles was the key. My endurance improved much quicker than my tendons and muscles were ready for the additional distance. I did a couple of the C25K weeks over just to be sure I was injury free.

Good luck and happy running!!! :)
  • Cinner01
    Cinner01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes running shoes are expensive but it sure beats having a long term injury from wearing the wrong shoe.
    Getting fit for the right shoe is the most important thing you can do. It costs nothing to get fitted - you don't have to buy your shoes there. They will tell you what kind of shoe you need then you can go get it elsewhere.

I recommend the walk/run method...I have started using this method after taking almost 3 years off from running.
    Jeff Galloway's book lays it out pretty well...i have started off with 1 min run and 1 min walk - then add 30 sec to the run interval each week...the walk interval is always 1 min.

I have had several marathon running friends change to this interval and all have set PR's using it.
    I think it is much easier on your body and you have "some gas in the tank" when you are finished.

You will get many different suggestions but the key is to listen to your body and do what is comfortable to you.

Good luck!!