Seeking some free therapy

Options
So I've lost 5lbs so far on MFP but the last 4 days I have fallen off the wagon.. hard. It's incredible how quickly you can gain weight back... I haven't looked at the scale yet but I can see it already and feel it in the way my clothes are fitting today. I really felt in control and motivated until a 21st birthday on Friday night. I had alcohol as well as some party food. Since then, I've just kept slipping up every day. I've realised stress is a major trigger for me as well as just feeling overwhelmed in general about uni work, family problems, etc etc. Is anyone else the same? If so, I'd LOVE any advice on how you deal with those moments right before turning to junk food... where you're so close to cracking because you want to get away from whatever it is that's causing you to stress.

It might sound a bit picky, but I'd prefer tips that you've gained from experience because although some things sound great in theory (count to 100 before grabbing that cookie), I doubt they would work for anyone who's reached that breaking point. Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror and remind your self how hard you've worked.
  • dithoma
    dithoma Posts: 31
    Options
    I know how you feel and I was there over this holiday weekend too. Went to a buffet and stuffed my face and it was good too. Did i feel bad? kinda. Did i hit the gym today yes. I started my WLJ when i was about 21-22 as well. Loss 35 lbs on weight watchers. I drank, I parties and I ate, but I also didnt give up. I'm now 28 and I'm here just like you. My advice would be Drink lots of water get your a** to the gym and don't worry about it today is another day
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Katenmills

I am an emotional eater. I just am. Boredom, stress, joy, sorrow, you name it I eat it.

What I have done in the recent past to prevent myself from having that oreo? I told myself "If you really want it, eat it, but have just 1. Else go for a walk." Then I'd actually consider if I wanted it or if I was just (emotion- my trigger was usually boredom or depression.) One day back in Feb I was having a catastrophic day, if it could go wrong it did. I was on the verge of baking and eating a cake, and instead said to me "Go for a walk, if you still want the cake when you get back, then make it."

On that walk I slipped on ice and banged my knee pretty good, had a good cry. Wanted to quit working on the weight loss, just throw it in and go home. However- there was ice on both sides of where I was. I could go back and fall, or I could keep going forward and fall. Talk about symbolic, eh? I kept on the walk, got home, didn't really want the cake anymore.

Point? So you fell off the wagon. It sucks, tell yourself it sucks. Get a feel for your triggers, then avoid them as much as you can and find new outlets for them: journaling, sketching, crocheting, maybe even a long walk. If you want a junk food- don't tell yourself no. Just make a deal with yourself, like I did. If you work for it, and still want it - limit the intake amount. If you work for it, and work through whatever was bugging you, and don't want it anymore - better! IMO telling yourself no just doesn't work- just tell yourself "not right now." Thats how I do it.

Remember. It's a journey, not a sprint, take it easy on yourself. Find out what works for you, get out of your pity wagon, get back on your trek and make progress.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Simply put: "It's too late to worry about yesterday but the perfect time to plan for tomorrow."
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Funny how one bad meal, or a few bad meals can set you back a few weeks isn't it? I got the same problem at the moment.

BUT! Tomarrow is a new day. Tomarrow you can start again! Tomarrow is a new day and you can start with the weight loss yet again.

That's what I am planning to do. So, I feel off the horse but I am getting back on!

...Let's hope people don't bring any more food.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It sounds overly simple and cliched but seriously, one of the most valuable lessons I have learned is to treat every day as a "clean slate". When I don't wallow in the defeat and the feelings of failure, I can move forward and make good choices again. When I insist on remaining mired in the disappointment of my slip-up, it's that much easier to make another bad decision. And another... and another...
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Practice meditation.
  • Lyanasonni
    Lyanasonni Posts: 11
    Options
    The three most effective things that have kept me from eating just one more thing:
    - Brush teeth instead. Now I've brushed my teeth already, and the food won't taste that great anyways.
    - A long look in the mirror while holding the food item in question. Think of the goal, and what this could do to sabotage it.
    - Remember if a craving is successfully staunched; these are all a victory in disguise, and feel good about it on weigh-ins.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Simply put: "It's too late to worry about yesterday but the perfect time to plan for tomorrow."

I LOVE this.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Practice meditation.

This. Shut your mind up, listen to what is actually going on and not just the impulse to eat, and learn how to use it when you're feeling stressed or overly emotional. It works wonders.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    You need to find another way to deal with stress. Otherwise, by denying yourself that outlet you are just creating more stress.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Something that's helped me a great deal is something I found on the web and recently in a magazine (tore it out and it's now hanging on my frig). It shows a small serving of a particular junk food and how much exercise time it would take to burn that off.

I know it's been discussed with a list and photos on the boards in the past, might check the Search feature out and see what you can find. Other wise Google is another great source, I'm quite sure you'll pull something up with photos so you can REALLY decide if it's worth eating the cookies, chips etc.

When I eat junk food, with the blood sugar zooming up, then down etc., it's like a need another fix later in the day and the day after... and... all control is then lost. I've worked down to being out of control for years, to months, to days and now am able to 99% of the time rein myself back in and start back with the healthier food again that my body much more deserves and craves.

I'm not able to eat 2 cookies at this point, some can but some can't, figure out which you are and go from there, it really can be that simple. It sure doesn't feel simple when you're smack dab in the middle of it, so I do understand where you're coming from. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Stress is a killer. How else can you deal with your stress? For me, it's walking. If I'm stressed and can get out for a long enough walk, I come back doing better. I also find that if I'm walking regularly, my stress levels are lower to start with. Kind of proactive de-stressing. The music I listen to (ONLY while walking) also helps, because it's music I love and generally makes me happier.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    On bad days I take it one hour at a time. I keep telling myself that I won't eat anything bad for me this hour. If I really need it I can wait that long, but I usually find I don't want it later. Rinse and repeat with every craving until I get through the day.
  • jstack59
    jstack59 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I've been working on losing weight for a year and have lost 74 pounds. I was definitely an emotional eater. The thing that has worked for me is journaling or blogging, actually feeling the feelings, acknowledging them and moving on. It sounds simple but one of the reasons we eat is to avoid those uncomfortable feelings. I figured out that crying some tears or admitting I was angry at someone ultimately felt better than beating myself up for stuffing myself with potato chips to avoid it.

If it's just a slip, forgive yourself and get right back on program. The longer you wait the harder it is. No one gained the weight from one big meal or one out of control. Make the very next thing you eat or drink a positive choice.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I've been working on losing weight for a year and have lost 74 pounds. I was definitely an emotional eater. The thing that has worked for me is journaling or blogging, actually feeling the feelings, acknowledging them and moving on. It sounds simple but one of the reasons we eat is to avoid those uncomfortable feelings. I figured out that crying some tears or admitting I was angry at someone ultimately felt better than beating myself up for stuffing myself with potato chips to avoid it.

If it's just a slip, forgive yourself and get right back on program. The longer you wait the harder it is. No one gained the weight from one big meal or one out of control. Make the very next thing you eat or drink a positive choice.

Excellent points.
  • manorai
    manorai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I been having the same problem lately and a coworker recommended this website. I've been using it to track my calories and I have realized how many unecessary calories I ingest every day due to stress. For that, I am trying very hard this time to accomplish a healthy goal, and I think the best way is to share this with other people that may be trying to do the same.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing! thanks for all the responses... even just reading them was encouraging, knowing that so many people have had the same issue and overcome it. I'm going to put to practice the "It's too late to worry about yesterday but the perfect time to plan for tomorrow" idea - much better for my sanity than wallowing over a slip-up for days. It's funny, I've told people similar things and yet with myself I'm so much more unforgiving. I always think I have to compensate the next day with a grueling gym session or something and it actually just makes me feel more angry with past-me. No more :). Also gonna give the walking a go and thinking about the real issues <gulp> behind an urge to binge. thanks again!