Any advice for avoiding DOMS?

Options
I just did my first kettlebell class in a while because I had stopped to do a 5-week running program. We did one million squats and my legs are jelly. Anybody have tips for avoided the soreness I'm in for tomorrow?

Replies

• seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    stretching and a hot bath always helps me
  • jennagale
    jennagale Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree with the previous post, and you may also want to take a pain reliever before bed. It takes the edge off of the pain in the morning.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    ....and a massage!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    making sure I get enough protein has always worked wonders for me. that and lots of water and a hot bath
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    wearing skins (i forgot mne yesterday and paying the price today) helps take the edge off
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I get DOMS a lot, and really there is nothing you can do to prevent it if you are prone to it. I've tried epsom baths and tiger balm, but the only thing that really helps ease the pain for me is low-intensity cardio, mainly walking. Even then it's only temporary relief, so I'm just learning to live with the DOMS.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Take a leisurely walk and keep moving. Drink lots of water.....take a mild pain killer. The gentle movement from the walking will get the soreness out.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Heat and lots of water. But I like DOMS. Just crazy like that.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe have some bananas (potassium) and/or some pickle juice. Sounds weird, but pickle juice helps prevent muscles from cramping, so maybe it would help with that as well.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    exercise tomorrow as well. After exercising stretch and you will feel better. Dont skip the workout or you'll probably go longer with the muscle soreness.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What is DOMS?
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too..............What are DOMS?
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), :smile:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yoga
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Will drink lots of water, eat a banana, go for a gentle walk in the morning and beg my hubby for a massage! :smile:

And hope for the best.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Keeping at it. The great thing about DOMS (not normal muscle soreness) your muscles rapidly recover to try and prevent injury with the same exercise. DOMS will last 24-72 hours and during that time I suggest Epsom salt baths/soaks, Tylenol, and plenty of water.

I've also found taking Creatine and BCAAs reduced that significantly :)
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    water, stretching, exercising again, at first you will hurt, but as your muscles warm up you will feel fine.

exercise more often, i hardly ever get DOMS and I actually miss it, trust me, I push myself and so does my trainer but because i work out 5-6 days a week I just don't get them any longer.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wear compression wear during the workout (to help reduce swelling)

foam rolling

eat enough calories and protein

get your sleep
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great recommendations from all!! I not only get DOMS, but I also have arthritis and am just almost constantly sore! I also try to get plenty of sleep ( which is not always easy when your sore). best of luck!
  • JennieDNP
    JennieDNP Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like any other muscle injury, avoid heat for the first 48 hours. Ice (20 mins on, 20 mins off), ibuprofen600- 800mg every 8 hours, drink lots of water. Tomorrow be nice to your body, gentle movements, avoid resistance training, only stretch after a proper warm up.

Jennie, RN-BSN (one step away from being a personal trainer and almost done with masters in nursing; and my boyfriend is a master trainer/fitness expert with a degree in exercise science... in other words, we discuss/argue :-) about this stuff a lot