Would you take the job?

Options
Lift_hard_eat_big
Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
If the pay was good, would you take a job that required you to be away from your family 3-4 days a weeks?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Nope. Been there, for longer periods actually, and it sucked. I want to be able to come home to my wife and kids every day.
  • marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    nope... family is all that matters in this world :)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think its okay for a while, especially while you don't have children, but after a few years you will be more than ready to trade that lifestyle in for something that keeps you home.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No. I've had opportunities like that and always turned them down.
  • Xefyria
    Xefyria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Granted, I have no children, but it largely depends on the situation. Right now, I'm temporarily going overseas for anywhere between 1-3 months and will be away from my significant other because of that. Since I know it's only temporary, I'm willing to do that.

Imagine what your life will be like not only for yourself, but for your family, without you around as much as you could be. Picture the scenario - would you rather do it and have the extra cash, or not, and have the extra time with the family?
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without seeing my kids and husband on a daily basis! I guess it depends on if you NEED this job.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    With school-aged kids, no way. You miss too much, and the kids really feel your absence. If no kids are in the picture, and your spouse is independent and busy enough to not mind living alone for half of each week, you can make it work for a year or two...but I think after that, you'll want to find something that keeps you closer to home.

(I say this as someone who works in the area of corporate training - I spent 2 years doing 65% travel, and then opted for a position where I only travel maybe once a quarter. I see our remaining trainers who travel about 80% of the time and they are BURNT. OUT.)
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Only if it were temporary and the pay was real good.
  • MDgirl2012
    MDgirl2012 Posts: 3
    Options
    I think there are a lot of "variables" that would play into a decision. Is this something you are considering long term? How do you think you would do away from your family? How would they do not having you around on a consistent basis? Would the days be consecutive? Is it possibly something short term that could put your family in a better place and allow you to look for something with a better schedule down the road? Just a few thoughts. Good luck with your decision. =)
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. It's better to be away from your family for a while than to have to move them into a car or a shelter. It's better to be away from your family for a while than to have them go without health care. It's better to be away from your family for a while if it means a career opportunity that will ultimately give you more time together.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If you're young with no family (besides mom/dad/relatives etc) then I think it would be fine. But once you have children, I'd like to be a part of them growing up.
  • 704fitness
    704fitness Posts: 153
    Options
    I am currently doing that, but the kids are grown and my wife and I talked about it first and decided together. I have a good job, but it really would be the same job until I retired ( a ways down the road). I was offered an opportunity, that would mean a better position a couple of years down the road. So here I am . .
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    @fpacudan--no job is worth being away from you for 1/2 of the week. I can't wait until these 2 years are over and i get to wake up in your arms every single morning!
  • bombersueer1
    Options
    No I have 2 teenage daughters that I need to take here and there,plus be available for them.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    No way!!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did this for 5 years. I saw him Fri PM-Mon AM. He missed a lot of important things with the kids and was very lonely during the week. On the plus side, our relationship grew even stronger. We made a lot of time for dates and treated the time we had together like it was precious, because we knew it was.
    His pay increased a lot because he was working so much and we are in a better situation financially because of it.

There are pros and cons. Maybe make a list of them. We don't regret doing it, but we are glad to be back together full time. Best to you in your decision.
  • damo1023
    damo1023 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did this for just over 5 years, coming home for the odd weekend here and there for 9 months of the year. As it was just me and my girlfriend it wasnt to bad. The hardest part of it is now that i am home all the time we can be under each others feet after having so much independance previously.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    If the pay was good, would you take a job that required you to be away from your family 3-4 days a weeks?

i dunno if it was a temp job and i needed the money maybe. I need to be around my family or i can not think clear. i haven been away from my daughter for more then 4 to 5 hours since the day she was born.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not worth it for me, and I've been offered that several times (with upto 50% increase on my current salary). For me its not worth it, family is my 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority (I am part of my family, so I can prioritise me sometimes too).

I had an o/s trip for work recently and two weeks away was far too long for me. I like a break like everyone else, but the thought of missing important events, milestones etc is not worth it to me.

Of course this is the opinion of a reasonably welloff middle class 1st world citizen with a good job, if I were unemployed with little prospects and struggling to pay bills etc, I'm sure my position would be very different!