How do you replace Meat

Ocarina
Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
I am looking for replacements for the following:

Chicken Breast
Sausage
Turkey Grounded
Beef Grounded

I know you can't completely replace these things but am looking for alternatives so I can make the same meals but with something that isn't meat. Trying to switch over to vegetarianism but I will not eat salads and rice all the time. (Of course, I'm new to this.)

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Why would you replace it? Meat tastes so good

I noticed you didn't list pork and fish...are those off limits too?
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Welcome to the world of soy.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Morningstar Farms crumbles for ground beef. Their "sausage" patties are really good too.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    I've been hearing about a product called "Quorn". Apparently its a soy based product. Read about it here http://www.quorn.com.au/Home/

EDIT: The product is SOY FREE. Sorry about that.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Why would you replace it? Meat tastes so good

I noticed you didn't list pork and fish...are those off limits too?

Because some people don't want to eat animals. Or want lower cholesterol ... or for many other reasons.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Do you have Whole Foods where you live? There are lots of good meat substitutes there, from different brands. Some of that depends on what your main goal is with the product - what you want to do with it, I mean. Maybe just go browse the "natural" aisle where you usually shop (if there is one)?

I like Gimme Lean for ground beef and sausage but it's not organic, and MANY brands have their own "crumbles". This is available in pretty much every supermarket I shop in.
    Gardein makes chicken scallopini that I found really tasty. Whether or not it's anything like what you want, I, of course, don't know... This is also widely available, even in Target!

Morningstar Farms has lots of really, really good tasting stuff, in various forms, and is also widely available.

Hope that helps.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    I am looking for replacements for the following:

Chicken Breast
    Sausage
    Turkey Grounded
    Beef Grounded

I know you can't completely replace these things but am looking for alternatives so I can make the same meals but with something that isn't meat. Trying to switch over to vegetarianism but I will not eat salads and rice all the time. (Of course, I'm new to this.)

Hi!
    I'm a vegetarian so I have a lifetime of experience on 'meat substitutes'. xD
    My #1 suggestion is whole beans! I know that sounds like a funny alternative, but they are easily flavored with almost any type of seasoning- my fave is in tacos! :-)

If you enjoy tofu, that's another natural, great alternative; seasons well & perfect for Asian food recipes.

And then there are the lovely meat substitutes. ^_^ I'm full vegetarian (since birth) but my fiance is an omnivore. He (and I) looove morning star farms products. The ground beef 'mealstarters' works awesomely in pasta sauces, for tacos, salads, etc. We also enjoy the chicken strip meal starters and their sausage links for breakfast.

If you're not a huge fan of these types of meat substitutes, the GardenBurger brand is suuuuper tasty and less processed (although the others are basically just soy products). I use GardenBurger patties in lasagna, ground up and seasoned in pitas, and for just plain burgers!

And lastly, speaking of burgers, the brand 'Boca' makes a 'flame grilled' meat substitute patty that is awesome. Plus, you can usually find this as an option at restaurants (at least the ones near me!)

Hope this helps! ^_^

*edited to fix a typo! :P
  • yourenotmine
    I've been hearing about a product called "Quorn". Apparently its a soy based product. Read about it here http://www.quorn.com.au/Home/

Quorn is not soy, but rather mycoprotein. Basically it's a lab fungus. Tasty, but still a fungus. They now have a vegan variety, for anyone interested in that.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Yes, hit up a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Earth Fare, or whatever is around. In the beginning, I say eat whatever substitutes you want. As you get used to it, some people begin to worry about eating too much processed soy and wheat gluten products. There is time for that later--do what works for now, see if you like the lifestyle. :)
  • aoikirin
    To the OP - it kind of depends on where you live. There is texturized soy protein that makes a good ground beef substitute. Where I live (California) there are also fake chicken nuggets, fake chicken breasts, fake ribs, fake burgers, vegetable patties.... the list goes on. Be prepared to pay a lot more though for these products. They can be quite pricey, as veggie food is still a niche market.

I have been veg for 10 years and I can tell you that in time you will not miss meat really, whether in texture or taste. It goes away. I also recommend tapering off meat if that isn't what you are already doing. Trying to go veg cold turkey is hard, so try a few meat meals a week then 2 then 1 then none for a few weeks then none for a month then you are there.

Some people don't need to taper. It depends on your reasons for vegging. If they are for the animals, remind yourself that that is the muscle of some animal past who used to be walking around using it. If it is for health, remember the health benefits of avoiding that cholesterol and saturated fat. If it's for another reason, you can come up with you own personalized reason hehe.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Oh! and I almost forgot one of my faves, a brand called Tofurkey (turtle island foods), makes meat substitute lunch meat that is awesome. I also enjoy the brand Yves 'veggie cuisine' lunch meat; ham, turkey, etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Don't try to replace them with the "fake meat" producgts that you see in the supermarket - so many these are just highly processed starchy soy with lots of additives.

I think it is better to look for vegetarian recipes using tofu, beans, lentils, grains, eggs, dairy etc. You can find lots of fantastic recipes if you look at Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian recipes.

I was (mostly) vegetarian for about 5 years and I cooked a lot of Indian dishes, lots of pasta and rice based dishes, beans/lentil based sauces, loaves and burgers, egg based stuff like fritatta, zucchini slice, fritters, savoury muffins etc.

If you are just starting out to eat vegetarian, make sure you do some reading and learn about the important nutrient groups that you can miss out on when you don't eat animal products. You can certainly be a healthy vegetarian but it does take a bit of work. I thought I was doing everything right and still ended up with a severe Vit B12 deficiency. Having to have injections every week for 3 months was not fun!
  • yourenotmine
    Tofurky makes pizza too. Pepperoni and supreme, even. I agree, Tofurky is AWESOME. And those Yves ones aren't bad either.
  • aoikirin
    Don't try to replace them with the "fake meat" producgts that you see in the supermarket - so many these are just highly processed starchy soy with lots of additives.

I think it is better to look for vegetarian recipes using tofu, beans, lentils, grains, eggs, dairy etc. You can find lots of fantastic recipes if you look at Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian recipes.

I was (mostly) vegetarian for about 5 years and I cooked a lot of Indian dishes, lots of pasta and rice based dishes, beans/lentil based sauces, loaves and burgers, egg based stuff like fritatta, zucchini slice, fritters, savoury muffins etc.

If you are just starting out to eat vegetarian, make sure you do some reading and learn about the important nutrient groups that you can miss out on when you don't eat animal products. You can certainly be a healthy vegetarian but it does take a bit of work. I thought I was doing everything right and still ended up with a severe Vit B12 deficiency. Having to have injections every week for 3 months was not fun!

B12 deficiency will not happen if the individual is a lacto-ovo lacto or ovo-vegetarian. This deficiency really only happens with vegans or flexivegans. You would really have to eat very little cheese, milk, yogurt, etc to end up as a b12 deficiency case as a lacto-ovo ovo or lacto veg.
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Portabello mushrooms are great grilled.or chopped and sauted... very "meaty" tasting. There are other alternatives to soy burgers. - like Hilary's Brand - they are quinoa and millet with sweet potato. (available at Wholefoods in the freezer section)

Beans and lentils can also take the place of ground meats. - great lean protein. Also if you freeze firm tofu it crumbles quite nicely when it defrost - just like ground meat.
  • yourenotmine
    Actually, Rubybelle, that's one of the good things about the replacements, especially for newbies - they're often fortified with that stuff, so you don't get all overwhelmed when you're first starting out.

Maybe I was just a natural, but I didn't find being a vegetarian to be any work at all. Now that I don't eat any animal products I do take some supplements, though. It is always a good idea to do your research.

(edited for grammar, sheesh)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Most vegetarians don't just eat "salads and rice" as you suggested. Tofu and soy products are great substitutions. I'd suggest that you do a little more research on vegetarianism, or a google search for vegetarian recipes. I like to grill up portobello mushroom caps (you can stuff with cheese or anything you want) and eat those on a bun as a substitute for a hamburger. They taste sooo delicious! Most meals, you can just omit the meat. After a while, you'll find that you don't miss it. Eat leafy greens, such as kale, beans and lentils, nuts, and quinoa if you're worried about not having enough protein in your diet. I'd like to think that I eat pretty well for being a vegetarian, and my meat loving father often tells me that as well when I'm home and my mom or I cook.
  • yourenotmine

B12 deficiency will not happen if the individual is a lacto-ovo lacto or ovo-vegetarian. This deficiency really only happens with vegans or flexivegans. You would really have to eat very little cheese, milk, yogurt, etc to end up as a b12 deficiency case as a lacto-ovo ovo or lacto veg.

^^ this (unless you have a digestive disorder, of course)
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 129 Member
    Im a huge morningstar fan! Ive been a vegetarian for 3 months now and a vegan for 1 month. Im learning new stuff myself, the one thing i have noticed is be careful with some of the fake meats cause they have a crazy amount of sodium in them. I was gonna get some tofurkey brats and then i saw the sodium level and decided against it. Good luck with switching over! The first week or 2 are the roughest but after that its pretty easy and you crave meat less and less. Good luck chicka!
  • Jamdej312
    Jamdej312 Posts: 5
    I'd also recommend beans- i changed my diet about 4 months ago and eat vegan about 90% of the time and beans are my new favorite food! i make rice bowls with black beans, season and partially mash black beans to make taco salad, homemade refried beans ('refried beans without the refry' on allrecipes), hummus, falafel, black bean burgers... i could keep going! i've even seen a black bean brownie recipe but have yet to try that one!

i've tried a few of the meat substitutes and personally don't care for them. i've found that beans are the perfect substitute- full of fiber and protein without many calories! i'd also agree with aoikirin when he said that after a while you don't miss it- the feeling of having your ideal body is much better than the taste of any steak!