Tattoos and weight loss

Options
AuddAlise
AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
I would really like to get a tattoo but have been putting it off until I reach my goal. I talked with a local artist that came highly recommended and was told that since I want it on my back that weight loss shouln't affect it. Is this true?

Anyone have experience with getting a tattoo while still losing weight? Or any tip would be nice.

Replies

• Jeaniehop
    Jeaniehop Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have many tattoos that are on different parts of my body and not one of them has changed at all. Good luck
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I would really like to get a tattoo but have been putting it off until I reach my goal. I talked with a local artist that came highly recommended and was told that since I want it on my back that weight loss shouln't affect it. Is this true?

Anyone have experience with getting a tattoo while still losing weight? Or any tip would be nice.

I've personally haven't experienced it, but I've read up on tattoos when they stretch before and after pregnancy, and it seems like there is no effect on said tattoo (assuming the skin stretches and comes back to its original form or thereabouts).

You could wait to get your tattoo for when you reach your goal and do it as a reward for all your hard work, or get it in a place that is less likely to stretch than other places (i.e. don't get it on your thigh or stomach, but maybe behind your ear or on your wrist). Personally, since I've gained my weight, I haven't noticed any difference in my tattoos, but they're all located in places that aren't effected as much as other areas.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    ^^I want it on my back. So I don't think that is a stretchy place, right?
  • anels449
    Options
    ^^I want it on my back. So I don't think that is a stretchy place, right?

Depends where on your back. I know my lower back looks pretty horrible (I think haha!) but if you're keeping it up between the shoulder blades or higher it might fine.

I would also start up a rapport with the tattoo artist you're going to be going with. He/She will have awesome advice on how the tattoo will work if it stretches--or shrinks--at all. Not only would they help you out with your concerns, but having a good relationship with your artist allows you to trust them more. : )
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    I have one on my lower stomach that says "sock", after 2 c-sections right under it and 2 pregnancies it looks nasty. It is literally 5 times bigger than it was, it has weird scar lines running through it, it's black and it's super faded from being stretched out.
    But I have other tattoos that haven't been affected :) Just don't get a lower tummy one haha
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have one on my lower stomach that says "sock", after 2 c-sections right under it and 2 pregnancies it looks nasty. It is literally 5 times bigger than it was, it has weird scar lines running through it, it's black and it's super faded from being stretched out.
    But I have other tattoos that haven't been affected :) Just don't get a lower tummy one haha

This is really important to remember.

A lot of our body won't stay the same as we age and of course, if you plan on or think it's remotely possible that you will one day have a baby.

If you're getting a back tattoo - I would agree that it probably wouldn't be a problem with weight loss. Shoulder area, back of the neck, feet, wrists... all those places really won't change much.

If you're still worried though, you could always use it as a reward for losing the weight. A lot of people will do that as another form of motivation. =]
  • anels449
    Options

This is really important to remember.

A lot of our body won't stay the same as we age and of course, if you plan on or think it's remotely possible that you will one day have a baby.

If you're getting a back tattoo - I would agree that it probably wouldn't be a problem with weight loss. Shoulder area, back of the neck, feet, wrists... all those places really won't change much.

If you're still worried though, you could always use it as a reward for losing the weight. A lot of people will do that as another form of motivation. =]

I plan on getting my ribs tattooed once I get into great shape. A reward and a motivator to stay healthy and fit! :D
  • thewoodsyone
    Options
    It completely depends on the area of your back in which you're aiming to receive the tattoo. I have a tattoo on my back, just below my neck, but that section of my body has never accumulated much fat, and has not appeared to stretch or deform in any way. However, the sides of my back and the middle do appear to be the victim(s) of rolls and metamorphosis, so I would highly recommend paying close attention to how your body disperses its weight and how it affects you and your form before you decide to jump on paying for some ink.

While there are a lot of compassionate, logical artists out there, piercing and inking alike, there are still those bad bugs that just want your money!
  • muffin_shufflin
    muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think to tell you is to strength train if you don't already. That way if you lose a lot of weight you won't have that loose skin problem. I have a tattoo on the side of my back, the back of my ribs basically, & since i've been doing strength training it sits a little higher now. Hope that helps :)