Indian Food - advice, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/eating_out/indian_food.htm

Nice article to read and there is a link to a table of some of the standard dishes in it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful answers, everyone! I really appreciate the chance to learn about the cuisine. As for the advice to ignore the calories and enjoy, I certainly would do that when I'm further along to my goal, but as I'm just begninning I would just feel bad about it, and what fun is that?

This way, I can enjoy delicious new-to-me food and know that I am keeping within my calories. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:

You're welcome. BTW, I read somewhere above that Indian food is healthy. Umm, every cultures food is healthy. However most Indian food is prepared differently in the US. Its americanized. Less spices typically, they use clarified butter/ghee to cover up their lack of skills. The more "posh" joint, the less authentic. Some of the best Indian/pakistani/arabic foods I've had in the US are in chicago/NY where the cab drivers hangout. Low budget and tastier.

Edit: depending on the restaurant, in this season you might be able to get real mango Lassi rather than one made from concentrate. You should definitely try that if they got it. Worth the calories imho :)
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I would say plan for this meal then eat what you like and work it off afterwards!

Saying that, I would go for tandoori meats and fish, a tadka dal, wholewheat roti, lots of salad and a tomato raita, yum!
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful answers, everyone! I really appreciate the chance to learn about the cuisine. As for the advice to ignore the calories and enjoy, I certainly would do that when I'm further along to my goal, but as I'm just begninning I would just feel bad about it, and what fun is that?

This way, I can enjoy delicious new-to-me food and know that I am keeping within my calories. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:

You're welcome. BTW, I read somewhere above that Indian food is healthy. Umm, every cultures food is healthy. However most Indian food is prepared differently in the US. Its americanized. Less spices typically, they use clarified butter/ghee to cover up their lack of skills. The more "posh" joint, the less authentic. Some of the best Indian/pakistani/arabic foods I've had in the US are in chicago/NY where the cab drivers hangout. Low budget and tastier.

Edit: depending on the restaurant, in this season you might be able to get real mango Lassi rather than one made from concentrate. You should definitely try that if they got it. Worth the calories imho :)
    I second the mango lassi!
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    Indian food is so delicious! My recommendation would be to keep your quantities SMALL. Don't load up on the rice and naan bread.

Before going out for any dinner, have a protein shake so that you don't arrive at the restaurant starving. That way you can select a few spoonfuls of tasty dishes without needing to pig out.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Oooooh, mango ANYTHING is worth the calories IMHO :D
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/eating_out/indian_food.htm

Nice article to read and there is a link to a table of some of the standard dishes in it.

Awesome! Thanks!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Alot of people here are talking about naan and rice and avoiding it. If you're worried about carbs, ask the restaurant if they got "Chapati" or "Roti" rather than naan. Chapati is this really really thin bread (you can literally see through it) and since most of the indian food requires you to use something to absorb the curry into, chapati makes the perfect option for low-carbing with Indian food. Sadly not alot of Indian restaurants in US make it but you should ask for Roti which is a little bit thicker version of chapati but still far better compared to naan
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I always ask for Chapatis but like you said, they never have it. Next best option is naan/roti without butter or steamed rice... Surprisingly, a lot of places offer Roomali roti (another healthier type of very very thin bread made out of white flour). You don't have to have the whole thing (just a half is usually enough) and its still healthier than eating naan.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Fantastic question! If you're following a low-carb approach, Indian can be perfect.

Choose:

MEATS ... tandoori chicken is just "chicken cooked in a delicious manner using a special oven and spices"

Personally I always order a massive mixed plate of all the tandoor meats - lamb, chicken, etc.

CREAM SAUCES ... low-carbohydrate eaters eat cream by the gallon. so you are all set at Indian

RAITA -- yum. This is a famous Indian sauce. it is cold and refreshing. It is basically plain "greek" yoghourt with cucumber - an incredible combination - with secret spices. I eat it almost literally by the gallon! Hopefully your indian restaurant makes a great Raita!

PROBLEMS TO BE AWARE OF: very spicy sauces are fantastic, BUT, very typically, the restaurant used piles of sugar in the sauce.

I would just tell the guys "I AM NOT ABLE TO EAT SUGAR" and hence "COULD YOU TELL ME WHICH SAUCE HAS THE LEAST SUGAR?" the fact that you've already ordered a huge plate of tandoor meats, they will love you as a connisseur gourmet! Heh! So they will happily go have a big family talk out back about which hot sauce has the LEAST SUGAR at that restaurant.

Then just go with that dish - choose the meat you prefer.

To repeat -- hot sauces are fantastic for dieting, BUT many of them are often made with vast amounts of sugar: you'll have to ask.

The very short story -- enjoy RAITA and eat as much TANDOORI meats as you can stuff in!!

My wife actually always chooses the fine Indian restaurant in town over other restaurants, for take-away, as she can simply order a massive quantity of tandoori chicken, and their awesome Raita.

One big problem - India makes the tastiest bread in the world! "Nan!" You can't eat bread if you're trying to lose body fat, so that aspect is gonna take willpower! Heh! Great question.

I love indian food, and I was really agreeing with this post up to the last sentence. Now everyone knows that naan bread is one of the tastiest, most deliciously evil concoctions in the world, but making a statement like 'You can't eat bread if you're trying to lose body fat' is just rediculous.
  • neilwilk
    neilwilk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Avoid naan bread - it's extremely high in calories - check it out.